The things Cortana can do

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If you ask her, Cortana will s sing you a song!
Yeah tried that once, how cute. Practically speaking I don't find her very helpful. When I ask her stuff I just get directed to bing search results. Her navigation is always or usually anyway, wrong. She sucks battery sometimes for no apparent reason. Guess its background stuff. She's a novelty that wore off rather quickly IMO. I see potential, but I don't need my work route planned out as I don't work. I go different places every day anyway. I don't need reminders to pick up a loaf of bread when I drive past the store as I go to the store purposefully not randomly and use a list. As a novelty then yeah, neat, but as a working assistant I'm not seeing it yet and stop sucking my battery. I could ask her why she takes so much battery power and she'd probably bring up pep boys battery section on bing. ;)
I hope she evolves well over time. I'm still working with her, but will probably just turn her off soon .

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
To update my Cortana directions adventures. All day today she has been giving me good directions with one caveat. She will sometimes say you have arrived at your destination when in fact I am still over a mile away. WTF? I wouldn't want to count on her in a strange place, I'd be lost fast.

mozman68

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
To update my Cortana directions adventures. All day today she has been giving me good directions with one caveat. She will sometimes say you have arrived at your destination when in fact I am still over a mile away. WTF? I wouldn't want to count on her in a strange place, I'd be lost fast.

That has nothing to do with Cortana...it is whatever map program you are using.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
That has nothing to do with Cortana...it is whatever map program you are using.
I would have thought the same thing, but as I mentioned in another post somewhere whenever I use the maps(nokia drive) without Cortana it works very well. Whenever I start by asking Cortana for the directions is when I run into problems. Its not every time but at least 50% she says I have arrived when in fact I have not. If I look at the map it clearly shows I'm not there yet.
So my score is with Cortana about 50/50 without Cortana 100%, using Nokia drive in all instances.
FWIW, Nokia drive seems to be the default maps for Cortana. is there a way to change that to some other maps app?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I would have thought the same thing, but as I mentioned in another post somewhere whenever I use the maps(nokia drive) without Cortana it works very well. Whenever I start by asking Cortana for the directions is when I run into problems. Its not every time but at least 50% she says I have arrived when in fact I have not. If I look at the map it clearly shows I'm not there yet. So my score is with Cortana about 50/50 without Cortana 100%, using Nokia drive in all instances. FWIW, Nokia drive seems to be the default maps for Cortana. is there a way to change that to some other maps app?
Settings -> swipe right -> maps There's a dropdown box to choose your default voice navigation app. However, Cortana will always use the Maps app until you go into your navigation app (HERE Drive+, Waze, etc.). If you're setting location reminders, the favorites need to be set in Maps, not HERE Maps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium