Speaking text msg's bug.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I found an interesting quirk with Cortana speaking text msg's yesterday via Bluetooth or headphones.

She won't speak new text msg's if you have the text messaging app running front and center (aka focused). The phone will just play the new txt msg sound. In WP8.0 it would speak any new text msg's no matter what app had the focus, including the messaging app.

This really messed me up yesterday while driving. I had to wait till I got to my destination before I would take care of my new messages (I know, that's what you should do, but with the ability to speak and dictate while driving is one of the advantages of this thing).

Talderon

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I found an interesting quirk with Cortana speaking text msg's yesterday via Bluetooth or headphones.

She won't speak new text msg's if you have the text messaging app running front and center (aka focused). The phone will just play the new txt msg sound. In WP8.0 it would speak any new text msg's no matter what app had the focus, including the messaging app.

This really messed me up yesterday while driving. I had to wait till I got to my destination before I would take care of my new messages (I know, that's what you should do, but with the ability to speak and dictate while driving is one of the advantages of this thing).

Unfortunately, this is a pretty big issue. We are working on a fix and it should be released with Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 (no, I do not have any kind of estimate to the date of release on the update). There is talk about maybe a hotfix.

Even though Cortana is still in "Beta", it is supported just as if it was in full production and fully live.

Hope that helps.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I vote for a hotfix. ;) I not only use this when driving my car, but also riding my motorcycle (I can't look the phone at all while riding).

Actually, because of riding, the ability to do as much as possible hands free is important. Similar to someone that is visually impaired and trying to use a smart phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6