Is Canada with the US on roll out or a rollout of it's own?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am never sure what to expect.
As I saw in a news item Cortana may roll out in China first before the rest of the English world.

So when a roll out runs is it a North American ( with Canada), or just a US thing????

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Americans and Canadians have had a history of incompatibility. I wonder if they happen together.
On a serious note, I think it will happen at the same time.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Nope, Joe Belifore(?) posted today on reddit, “Cortana in other countries: We’re definitely working to bring Cortana to other countries. She tells us she’d like to travel. We've already announced that when we launch V1 after Beta, we'll be in China and the UK as well as the US. We're also hoping to get other english-speaking countries (eg. Canada, Australia) out relatively quickly as well…

anon(8657436)

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Nope, Joe Belifore(?) posted today on reddit, “Cortana in other countries: We’re definitely working to bring Cortana to other countries. She tells us she’d like to travel. We've already announced that when we launch V1 after Beta, we'll be in China and the UK as well as the US. We're also hoping to get other english-speaking countries (eg. Canada, Australia) out relatively quickly as well…

Yeah! I read it later today. It's odd though. They are targeting emerging markets first maybe. I'm sad for India though changing the region isn't too cumbersome as in India most phones are carrier unlocked ie GSM.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Although you can enable Cortana in Canada now using the Region trick, location based support is still spars. I think their plan makes sense; once they have the proper data support available so that the experience is useful, it'll make sense to make it available.

​Bing search seems spotty at best here. For example, Cortanas restaurant recommendations are abysmal. Her dinner ideas for me are the CN Tower and Piri Grill House, 4 miles away... I live in downtown Toronto. She also seems to have issues with time to leave alerts that aren't "home" or "work", even though they're added to my favourite places, and she has serious issues finding addresses in the city when doing an address based search. She often gives results in other cities...

They need to get Bings data up to snuff, or Cortana will be a joke when they launch it in Canada. Hopefully that Microsoft-Foursquare deal back in February will dramatically improve Bing and Cortanas database for locations.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
No doubt you have a Nokia ... HTC from Rogers seem to be locked to Canadian English, I ve yet to hear of anyone having a 8X that isn't locked on Rogers.
Pretty sure it's a HTC thing... my 8X (from Bell) is locked to Canadian English BUT my ATIV S I am able to change it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb