Cortana sounds different today.

backlashsid

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
also try
Cortana what do you look like
Cortana do you have a boyfriend

very funny....

now if you have notice !! what do you look like was one of the questions JoeB had asked on stage and she responded with the answer. After the preview I tried the same and it didnt work ! meaning he already had this version of service on his phone !! no surprises just saying......

but i cant get her to respond to "do you like your name" and she says..."its a lot something than Microsft voice assistant....bla bla !!"

mrcraggle

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone getting very odd search results? I asked Cortana "What's the time in Japan" and the text even came up with that but then it opened up my driving settings. Same question again got a web search.

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I notice after reading this post that her voice is diff on some responses, definitely more human sounding. I think Cortona may have been WP's best marketing ploy...

zammke

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

Maybe someone could help out. I bought a Lumia 1320 and did the WP 8.1 update. I live in Malta in Europe and though I change the region to US I still can't use Cortana :( One other thing........when in US region the search button starts Bing but with the addition of an 'eye' icon at the bottom which when pressed starts a scanner with OCR capability, very awesome. But if in my region the 'eye' icon isn't there! Any help on these two things will be much appreciated.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Although, when doing actual phone tasks, e.g. reminding you, creating events, etc., she sounds the same 😞 why are there two different voices for her?

That said, I love the "answering questions" voice of Cortana. Sounds wonderful. Is it actually Jen Taylor?
You cant record everything in the world with what she says. The more generic stuff uses her voice sound (which needs to be tweaked still to sound more like her) , but the actual questions you ask with actual answers, she needs to be able to record answers or enough answers to keep you entertained, or enough of the words in enough ways that they can be spliced together and wont sound like a robot

anon(5379091)

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
As a side note, don't think she understands the complete question you are asking. What I mean it's that she actually gives you the same set of answers when you ask something like Are you ... ?
The same happens with Do you have... ? Do you like ... ? Unless you mention someone special such as Steve Ballmer or clippy after Do you like.

So basically there are no new questions you can ask her, most of the time she'll just answer something based on the first words you say.

She makes you think she's vastly improved her registry of questions/answers in the last few days but, in reality, she hasn't at all. This phenomenon is what I call THE CORTANA EFFECT 😆

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
As a side note, don't think she understands the complete question you are asking. What I mean it's that she actually gives you the same set of answers when you ask something like Are you ... ?
The same happens with Do you have... ? Do you like ... ? Unless you mention someone special such as Steve Ballmer or clippy after Do you like.

So basically there are no new questions you can ask her, most of the time she'll just answer something based on the first words you say.

You are correct. She's more or less like a Magic 8 Ball when you ask "do you like" or "what do you think of".

I wish they would program her to say "didn't you just ask me that?" when you ask the same question over and over.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos