Cortana - will she ever get a face

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
A serious question... will Cortana ever get a face ?

Thinking more with relevance to Xb... the Xb1 has eyes and ears with Cortana it will have a voice, will Ms give it a face ?? And if so surely the only face it should ever have should be that of max headroom...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it. I think a lot of what went into creating the icon of Cortana went into not offending anyone. Keep in mind that Microsoft is courting a worldwide audience.

BTW, your signature isn't correct anymore - not if you have 8.1. You can set WiFi Sense to automatically connect to public access points. :wink:

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Worldwide does not mean people do not like faces, or an assimilation of a face, a generic face, users will always trust a face, especially if it has expression, The XB1 wants to be center of the living room, the face can smile when it sees you, look sad when you leave or puzzled if given a question, the face could even resemble an emoticon face... generic, it need not have a moving mouth when it answers, to me it makes perfect sense to have something to relate too IF interacting with a machine, this then is easily transferred to a phone as an emoticon type face is easy to animate

Sig note
it rarely works as different hotspots req different details, rendering WiFi sense less than useful mostly :straight:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
We live in a world where no matter what face you use, someone will be offended. Besides, why does it have to have a face?
Sig note
it rarely works as different hotspots req different details, rendering WiFi sense less than useful mostly :straight:
That's something I'll definitely agree with. I've only had it work a couple times that I know of.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think getting it to sync up right with sound would be a pain, up there with voice synthesis probably.
and I think it wouldn't fit in right with the design as well.

Lumiamike

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Why not have a face ? It listens and sees and will soon speak, perhaps the user could build it very much in the same way Xbox avatars are built, heck why not have your existing avatar inherit Cortanas traits, this would then eliminate offending people

If Ms ever got there marketing right this could be a huge selling point...

Maybe its time for the return of clippy ! :excited:

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Not really, with a face, you might have to make multiple and it's more hard work just for a simple improvement. I'd actually suggest if Microsoft made the circle jump, blink, and other emotions, like an eye sort of deal. Less work, same result, and more clippy! :D

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
To animate a face would burn more battery than it does now. Not necessarily by a little, either. Some of the lower-end or older phones may not have the ability to even render the face either. Great idea, but, then, reality intrudes on our great ideas.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
A serious question... will Cortana ever get a face ?

Thinking more with relevance to Xb... the Xb1 has eyes and ears with Cortana it will have a voice, will Ms give it a face ?? And if so surely the only face it should ever have should be that of max headroom...

I honestly think it would look horribly tacky. I would not like it personally

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I honestly think it would look horribly tacky. I would not like it personally
I agree. For the amount of time and effort it would take to create faces that appealed to everyone, make them look even somewhat "natural" in their movement, synced them to what was being spoken, and then solved any issues related to making it actually work smoothly across all the phone models I'd much rather see all that time and effort going into making Cortana better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa