Would you hire Cortana? (Share experiences, tips, thoughts, etc)

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
So we have had the ability to use Cortana as a virtual personal assistant for a little over a month now and I just wanted to see what everyone thinks about their experience with Cortana.

So far, I am surprisingly impressed with her performance. I find it really easy to add apppointments to my calendar, etc. but one really weird thing that I have noticed is that Cortana cannot delete/cancel any of my appointments which you'd think as a personal assistant she should be able to. One feature that I really like is the ability to add a news topic (such as Cortana, star wars episode 7, etc) and she will show me any news related to it...at first it it wasn't working for me but since I checked the option to notify me it works for whatever reason. One area that I think Microsoft definitely needs to improve upon is continuation with queries which I have noticed is inconsistent. I can say "What's the forecast for today?" and she tells and shows what it is and then I can say "How about tomorrow?" and she has no problems recognizing that I am asking about the weather forecast for tomorrow. However, when I ask "Tell me a joke." she says a joke and then I say "Tell me another one" she just does a bing search of what I said. Same when I say "Do an impression" and then "Do another one". You'd think she be able to recognize that I want her to tell me another joke or impression. So hopefully this is being improved. That's really my only complaint with Cortana knowing that she is still in Beta.

What do you think? Would you hire her your assistant?

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Cortana is great at some things, so it feels weird when there are holes in her current performance. I love reminders and asking what time an upcoming appointment is, or what the baseball score is. Cortana will only get better with time, I can't wait to see what happens in the next couple years and beyond. You just can't use the alternate Bluetooth connection for speech option or she can't hear you over all the crackling noise it makes on the line.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Could you explain your last sentence, i don't understand... Are you saying that she doesn't work with a Bluetooth headset?

Not very well or consistently on my Lumia 920. The Bluetooth voice channel has horrible crackling sound issues that make it very hard for Cortana to understand you. Sometimes it works ok, and I think unchecking "alternate audio channel for voice" in the BT settings may help, although it makes it so my car can't use cortana at all. And I still get bad voice quality a lot of the time anyway. I hope Cyan fixes the Bluetooth voice sound quality issues.

I found this was why Cortana would suddenly become unable to understand anything one day when I dictated a note so it would save the audio to OneNote. When I listened to the recording the sound was terrible. It's fine over the phone's microphone, but a lot of noise gets added to anything you transmit over BT voice.

roni09riku

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Could you explain your last sentence, i don't understand... Are you saying that she doesn't work with a Bluetooth headset?

She works with a bluetooth headset. I've been using Cortana with a BH-503 headset. She can hear me just fine although I have to speak more slowly than how I do with just the microphone. I was walking inside a mall (so the area is quite loud) when I asked her to play one of my songs and she heard understood my command just fine.

My only problem is, when using the headset button to call her, you'll have to wait about 2 seconds before you hear her sound and then you can actually say your command.

anon(5698912)

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I just got a bt headset and her performance is mixed. I definitely think they need to improve the recognition while using a bt headset...it may be my headset but it's pretty nice...so its probably a little bit of both. I do like that it asks if you want it to read out loud a message you get while wearing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes