Cortana Keeps Popping Up

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I have a friend who has a 920. After using his phone for a couple of hours, I noticed that Cortana will instantly pop up for 3-5 seconds and disappear (without activating her). I originally thought my friend was pressing search by accident, but when I started using his phone, lo n behold, it looks to be spontaneous.

Anyone else have this problem? Should I reset her? If this was my phone I would just go ahead and do a hard reset...I doubt he'd be willing to do that.

PTMark

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I have the same thing on my 1520. It kept popping up until it locked up the phone. I had to restart several times. I since shut cortana off and now the phone is ok. Must be a bug in Crotona!

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
I have the same thing on my 1520. It kept popping up until it locked up the phone. I had to restart several times. I since shut cortana off and now the phone is ok. Must be a bug in Crotona!

Ok cool. Yea I knew there wasn't anything set for Cortana to pop up. Figured as much it was a bug.

Dolfi

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It might be a bug, as it happens for me everyday without setting any notification.It happens while I am removing my headset and on some other cases which I'm not sure but I am sure I didn't press the search button ...

drbethmeyer

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to bump this up and see if there were any insights on how to solve the problem. I have a Nokia 920 and have the same problem, but really badly - Cortana is constantly coming up and asking something like "What can I do for you?" (I want to answer - "Just shut up for a while!") It happens when I put my phone in my pocket, when I remove it from my pocket, when I walk around with phone in hand (not touching any buttons!), when I set it down or pick it up, etc. Before the 8.1 update, I was not seeing Bing Search come up with anything like that kind of regularity, and I have touch sensitivity set to normal. It doesn't crash the phone, but it is incredibly annoying. And I don't want to turn Cortana off because of the potential for great reminders in the background. Any advice?

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to bump this up and see if there were any insights on how to solve the problem. I have a Nokia 920 and have the same problem, but really badly - Cortana is constantly coming up and asking something like "What can I do for you?" (I want to answer - "Just shut up for a while!") It happens when I put my phone in my pocket, when I remove it from my pocket, when I walk around with phone in hand (not touching any buttons!), when I set it down or pick it up, etc. Before the 8.1 update, I was not seeing Bing Search come up with anything like that kind of regularity, and I have touch sensitivity set to normal. It doesn't crash the phone, but it is incredibly annoying. And I don't want to turn Cortana off because of the potential for great reminders in the background. Any advice?

Do you use a screen protector? It might be registering ghost taps on the search button.

rchillin

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
My wife's 1520 (AT&T) was experience a similar problem but on screen buttons were also locked up so I attributed it to hardware glitch. AT&T replaced it under warranty but I'll have to keep a closer eye on it.

Aaro R

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I 1st reset Cortana... It continued to pop up every 10-15min and stayed open till I clicked somewhere on the page to close it.. Otherwise it wouldn't self close even if left for hrs..

So the I turned it off ... all options.. All functions.. GUESS WHAT>>> MADE NO DIFFERANCE.. Then I went into Task Manager after login and turned it off there as well.. yup.. not 10min later it had turned itself back on.. Its Pervasive Pain in the *** malware.. I went to delete the program but up comes a warning that win10 will not function properly if I do so..
If Never using it Ever is the cost.. PLEASE SOMEONE Tell me how to safely disable this dam Cortana..

PLEASE!!!!!!:angry::angry:

Aaro R

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I 1st reset Cortana... It continued to pop up every 10-15min and stayed open till I clicked somewhere on the page to close it.. Otherwise it wouldn't self close even if left for hrs..

So the I turned it off ... all options.. All functions.. GUESS WHAT>>> MADE NO DIFFERANCE.. Then I went into Task Manager after login and turned it off there as well.. yup.. not 10min later it had turned itself back on.. Its Pervasive Pain in the *** malware.. I went to delete the program but up comes a warning that win10 will not function properly if I do so..
If Never using it Ever is the cost.. PLEASE SOMEONE Tell me how to safely disable this dam Cortana.
le typing his reply it has opened 5x without me doing anything but typing in this box...

PLEASE!!!!!!:angry::angry:

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I get this when I have my Lumia 920 in the Nokia CR200 wireless charging cradle (with NFC). Cortana keeps popping up and interrupting my navigation directions. That's the only time I have it happen but it is every time I use that cradle.

MS84

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
My husband and I each have a Nokia 920; his Cortana never comes on, but mine comes on quite a bit even though they are both turned off. I called ATT, they told me to go by their store and have it disabled. Unfortunately, the guy at the ATT store said that it can't be done, the only thing he could do would be turn it off. I showed him that it was off, but still would come up with "I'm listening". It's more creepy than anything, but it has used 10 times more data than on my husband's phone. Also, ATT said that it can't be removed.

StoopDlow

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I already hate this chick Cortana, I'm sorry to be replying, getting your hopes up and not having anything helpful at all to say except...your not alone. I've just installed Windows 10 via the free update and from the moment installation was complete, Cortana introduced herself within 10 minutes. She pops up about every 30 mins, if I'm using a program out of Windows, the pop up is forcing me out of whatever program I'm using. It sounds very malicious, I've tried every way I can think of to turn it off.... Please somebody out there, help us with our overly demanding woman.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss