Cortana and Calendar Events.

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if there is a post about this already, I could not find one.

I know after a bit of time, Cortana will realize you visiting a location often and will ask if that's where you work, you either correct or confirm with her. She will give you traffic updates and even let you know when to leave for you... This seems also to work only if you frequent that location at set times (I may be wrong with that).

So my question is, if your work hours vary, and because of that you input your hours into the calendar, is there a way to get her to do the same as she would with those who have set hours and days?

I input my days and hours into my calendar (always have) to keep myself organized and I am curious whether there is a way for her to recognize my work schedule, is there a specific way I need to input my schedule into the calendar if it is possible.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey, start by adding the location of your work in your event calendars. That might get Cortana to prompt you to leave home at a certain time and so on. For example if your have your work address added to your Places section and you call it "Work", enter Work in the location of the calendar event.

I read somewhere that theoretically it should work when you input an address (any physical address) in the location field, but that hasn't worked for me yet. Not sure why.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
just to make sure:
have you entered the address of your work location under "work" in Cortana places?
Don't enter the "address".. Use the GPS position on the map to save locations for Cortana's "Places". Street addresses are not accurate in Bing or Nokia HERE maps.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I have variable work hours as well. Cortana never prompts me that it's time to leave or traffic is bad etc without me setting actual reminders. I also put my work schedule in the calendar. I've read other people posting that Cortana offers up info pertaining to work,traffic without any prompting. I am curious as well if the variable schedule makes a difference.

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hey, start by adding the location of your work in your event calendars. That might get Cortana to prompt you to leave home at a certain time and so on. For example if your have your work address added to your Places section and you call it "Work", enter Work in the location of the calendar event.

I read somewhere that theoretically it should work when you input an address (any physical address) in the location field, but that hasn't worked for me yet. Not sure why.

That's what I am trying now, I have my home and workplace added with Cortana places. I currently have "Work" in the location section of my calendar event, waiting to see if she picks it up soon and starts providing info.

knuckles245

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have variable work hours as well. Cortana never prompts me that it's time to leave or traffic is bad etc without me setting actual reminders. I also put my work schedule in the calendar. I've read other people posting that Cortana offers up info pertaining to work,traffic without any prompting. I am curious as well if the variable schedule makes a difference.

If it doesn't make a difference, I do hope they implement it soon so those who have hours that vary can benefit from it as well.

Anidexlu Maga

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes I go the office, sometimes I don't. Cortana started giving me traffic info just last week, and yesterday and today I stayed home. I will see if she keeps giving me commute info or not for the rest of the week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans