Can apps use Cortana as voice for TTS?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Actually that article only mentions that the wiki app can use Cortana for text input (speech-to-text). What I was asking is if apps can use the Cortana voice to read to US (text to speech, TTS). Is that also possible?

Not sure but I hope developers will soon develop some nice apps once windows phone 8.1 is widely available.

twentythreee

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi Joe, hi all.
Here is Tobi from Poki.

I am currently developing the next major version of Poki with improved TTS support.
Sadly it is not possible to use Cortanas voice at the moment, and I don't think this will change as the SDK for WP8.1 is done already.

The available voices for en-US are Zira and Mark, who you already know and hate from Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.
But at least they sound better than Microsoft Sam ;-)

I've tested this with a en-US Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.1 (with Cortana enabled).

twentythreee

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi Tobi, thanks for commenting here! Could you look at the links that Himanshu shared? They seem to indicate that there is a way to do this, but since I'm not a coder I might be overlooking something / everything.

Yes, did that already. And no, there is no way.
The article title of both the channel9 link and the dotnetcurry are somehow misleading.
It should be read like this:
1. Building Text To Speech Applications using Windows Phone 8.1
2. and (now a completely different topic)
3. Cortana Overview

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi Joe, hi all.
Here is Tobi from Poki.

I am currently developing the next major version of Poki with improved TTS support.
Sadly it is not possible to use Cortanas voice at the moment, and I don't think this will change as the SDK for WP8.1 is done already.

The available voices for en-US are Zira and Mark, who you already know and hate from Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8.
But at least they sound better than Microsoft Sam ;-)

I've tested this with a en-US Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.1 (with Cortana enabled).

Bummer. I love the voice of cortana. Hope they add some options for developers in next edition of windows phone iteration /SDK. I am not a developer (though I know some basic c,c++ old Borland compiler lol )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05