Need more offline features of Cortana.

iXesh

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Features like alarm, reminder, open apps, calendar, call, messaging and questions which we already asked.
What do you think about it?

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about answered questions (that could be possible by caching them ). Tell me used to work offline and it would be great if cortana does the same work offline.

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Just feeling OFFLINE is necessary for basic commands..
Why does phone search WEB directly when it could just check OFFLINE and if no match go online.. I said Call Dad, it wen online and searched and made the call.. what use for such searches!!

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about answered questions (that could be possible by caching them ). Tell me used to work offline and it would be great if cortana does the same work offline.

Very basic features like calling, texting, etc could go offline. But when I think of accuracy, I think most of the operations needs to be processed by its backend to give more accurate results and to check which results have failed Cortana, e.g. Cortana already tries to adjust the outcome when a user gives the same command second time, adjusting the query and giving new results to check if it has misinterpreted.

I said Call Dad, it wen online and searched and made the call.. what use for such searches!!
Yes, the issue is that Cortana needs to learn from its mistake. If Cortana is completely offline, there are chances that Microsoft will not know about the failure of Cortana on a particular command. And thus will decrease the chances of improvement.

I am thinking of these features in a grand vision. Let me know if I missed anything. :smile:

teckris

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Very basic features like calling, texting, etc could go offline. But when I think of accuracy, I think most of the operations needs to be processed by its backend to give more accurate results and to check which results have failed Cortana, e.g. Cortana already tries to adjust the outcome when a user gives the same command second time, adjusting the query and giving new results to check if it has misinterpreted.

Yes, the issue is that Cortana needs to learn from its mistake. If Cortana is completely offline, there are chances that Microsoft will not know about the failure of Cortana on a particular command. And thus will decrease the chances of improvement.

I am thinking of these features in a grand vision. Let me know if I missed anything. :smile:

Why cant certain words be kept offline such as CALL or TEXT which actually work offline without cortana...

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Why cant certain words be kept offline such as CALL or TEXT which actually work offline without cortana...

I think if MS did that, then there won't be any good way for them to get an idea of how many commands to Cortana failed. And the learning sequence of Cortana may get affected. I know these are basic functions, but Cortana does not takes just one or two Commands for it, instead it is being developed to take commands in all possible ways, which is essentially its capability to process natural languages. If you process entire thing on mobile, I don't think it will be a success anymore. Server side processing of Cortana reduces the heavy loads of processing natural languages.

Also, it is not necessary that you have a single command for a single function, consider the following commands for the same objective:
1. Cortana please call Mr X
2. Cortana call Mr X
3. Hey! Cortana please call Mr X
4. Yo! Cortana please call Mr X
and the list can go on!

So to understand precisely that this is a command for Cortana to call X, it needs to keep in contact with the AI backend.

Plus if you think that Cortana should get a feature to understand even the sub-level-Regional English that is spoken differently among different states in US, which Siri does. You will for sure need a backend to process and understand that this is a different state.

I hope you are getting my point. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon