Cortana Doesnt Speak

RaghavYadav

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I updated my Lumia 925 with Windows Phone 8.1 a day ago, and also changed my settings to be able to download Cortana. She does things that I want her to, such as calling me by name, telling me that their is an incoming text message, setting an alarm, telling me a joke, etc. However, the problem is when I instruct her something by speaking on the Microphone, she doesn't react or answers. Same thing if I type, she happily provides an answer. Though again, she doesn't speak, she just shows the result / answer in screen. For example, if I type, tell me a joke, she'll show the joke on screen as text, but wont speak up.

Anyone know what is the possible solution to it?

RaghavYadav

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
She doesn't talk back even when I speak.

What I have seen in certain videos is that when you speak it shows the words too... When I speak, nothing happens. On pressing microphone it shows "listening" and then it comes back to normal "type" window :(

I have no idea what's wrong

carathus

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem and for me it turned out to be related to a Bluetooth device I was paired to. Try switching off Bluetooth and see if that fixes things. Then (assuming she starts listening) turn it back on and connect to each device one at a time to find whatever bit of equipment was preventing her from hearing you.

That worked for me. I hope that helps.

the-wrangler

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't seem to speak out loud when getting incoming texts etc. Talks out loud for queries, but that's it. Hard reset, worked for a day and then again incoming texts etc. don't trigger her response to read/ignore. Pulling my hair out with this. Doesn't work set always on, doesn't work with bluetooth, doesn't work with my 3.5mm plugged into the truck stereo.

Rogers 1020 in Canada - on Cyan/8.1 and did the preview for update 1. Tried both US & UK region settings and Canada alpha version. Same for all. Works with a fresh reset for about a day, then randomly stops. Cortana works for everything else except for incoming texts and reading them out loud

If anyone has any ideas I'll gladly listen

Last edited:

the-wrangler

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine doesn't seem to speak out loud when getting incoming texts etc. Talks out loud for queries, but that's it. Hard reset, worked for a day and then again incoming texts etc. don't trigger her response to read/ignore. Pulling my hair out with this. Doesn't work set always on, doesn't work with bluetooth, doesn't work with my 3.5mm plugged into the truck stereo.

Rogers 1020 in Canada - on Cyan/8.1 and did the preview for update 1. Tried both US & UK region settings and Canada alpha version. Same for all. Works with a fresh reset for about a day, then randomly stops. Cortana works for everything else except for incoming texts and reading them out loud

If anyone has any ideas I'll gladly listen

So I finally figured this out! If I have the banners turned off, (settings - notifications + actions - messaging - [uncheck show notification banners] which I prefer for privacy - CORTANA DOESNT READ INCOMING TEXTS OUT LOUD. Lol, man oh man I pulled my hair out, hard resetting etc. trying to figure this out.

Once I re-check the "show notification banners" box, she reads incoming texts on all settings.

That was a rediculous amount of time to figure out.....really hope this helps anyone else out with this issue. I do a lot of driving, so I guess I will need to keep banners on so I can hands-free text & reply. Least it is working as intended.

heyswids

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Cortana Doesnt Speak... AT ALL!

my cortana says nothing, ever! it's just text. i can speak and the words i say appear on the screen, but she only responds in text?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion