Your UK Experience of Cortana

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I think it takes a while to download the initial client code from the servers after you update the phone. I did notice that my wifi was pretty constantly being used for a couple of hours.

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
IF CORTANA IS NOT CHATTY AS SUGGESTED ABOVE DO THE FOLLOWING

1. Turn off Cortana by going to "Settings" swipe left then tap on "Cortana"
2. When prompted restart.
3. Once restarted hold down the search key and do a normal voice search making sure to accept the voice agreement. Once the results are displayed press the start button
4. Go back to the cortana settings. DO NOT OPEN CORTANA TO DO THIS but go back into "Settings" swipe left and select "Cortana".
5 You will see an option toward the bottom to delete local data. Press this and confirm any dialogs that show.
6 Next open Cortana using the apps list or live tile if pinned.
7. This should run through the first run wizard where she asks your name etc.
8. Try asking a question that would get a response such as "tell me a story" she should nw work normally and you should also be able to add interests.

from Rasetech to who we owe a big Thanks !!

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

3. Once restarted hold down the search key and do a normal voice search making sure to accept the voice agreement. Once the results are displayed press the start button
4. Go back to the cortana settings. DO NOT OPEN CORTANA TO DO THIS but go back into "Settings" swipe left and select "Cortana".
5 You will see an option toward the bottom to delete local data. Press this and confirm any dialogs that show.
8. Try asking a question that would get a response such as "tell me a story" she should nw work normally and you should also be able to add interests.

Thanks for the flowers but I am the wrong person to thank. The original walkthrough is from user mikeycl and is found under following link: http://forums.windowscentral.com/cortana/301039-2.htm#post2690086

I only added Information about inner circle loss.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Well from Me actually but not gonna nit pick. Anything that helps improve overall user experience is cool.

Glad to see that this fix is actually helping out.

BTW you should note that all previously configured settings such as interests and places will be retained. You will however lose your "Inner Circle" contacts and if you had connected cortana to facebook you will need to reconnect her.

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
My apologies, Mikeycl. After struggling for so long to get her to behaved I was so over the moon that she was working I got too excited to notice !

Need to get admin to make it a sticky !

Well from Me actually but not gonna nit pick. Anything that helps improve overall user experience is cool.

Glad to see that this fix is actually helping out.

BTW you should note that all previously configured settings such as interests and places will be retained. You will however lose your "Inner Circle" contacts and if you had connected cortana to facebook you will need to reconnect her.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
My apologies, Mikeycl. After struggling for so long to get her to behaved I was so over the moon that she was working I got too excited to notice !

Need to get admin to make it a sticky !

Like I said it is cool glad to help.

Was wondering if it would be worthwhile to create a new thread for this. What's the consensus?

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Definitely, with the title in upper case and preferably flashing all colours so people may read it, there are so many who just jump to the end of a discussion and miss the answer to problems :(

Like I said it is cool glad to help.

Was wondering if it would be worthwhile to create a new thread for this. What's the consensus?

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've stuck it. Definitely useful information.

It might be an idea to summarise the region/language settings required, just in case the Alpha users have problems in getting the right combination.

Thanks for your work on this Mike.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I've stuck it. Definitely useful information.

It might be an idea to summarise the region/language settings required, just in case the Alpha users have problems in getting the right combination.

Thanks for your work on this Mike.

Muchas Gracias

as far as the Region language settings go i may not be too useful. I am UK based so had everything on UK.

may do some research though and make sure the relevant info is on there unless someone beats me to it.

The Dude66

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Initially cortana on my 930 wasn't chatty, tried about everything., while my 925 and 1520 on cortana UK worked instandly, the 930 (and my 920) needed a full reset.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems as though Cortana is gradually being updated for the UK. I'm now getting answers to "what does a dog say" type queries where yesterday those led to bing searches.

I'm not sure how the voice sounds for those queries though as I'm in the office and would look a plonker talking to my phone.

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
It seems as though Cortana is gradually being updated for the UK. I'm now getting answers to "what does a dog say" type queries where yesterday those led to bing searches.

I'm not sure how the voice sounds for those queries though as I'm in the office and would look a plonker talking to my phone.

Just tried that one, not in office at moment so ok for me

Not sure what to make of Cortana barking at me ;)

Bob Johnson7

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
All Things Windows Suck

I have the Samsung 4S Mini. The Assistant from the Playstore is gorgeous and she has an English accent.
Android Rules ..

MatchAttax08

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
She has no personality. No chit-chat = revert to US. If they don't bring Jen Taylor to Ireland then I'll have to stick with WindowsPhone.com purchases

T 33

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I think me and UK Cortana are not getting along.

Last night I asked to “please remind me when I am home to put out the bins, Thank You” and she said “Would you like me to Play “Home” by Leah featuring Will.I.am”, “Err what who how, just remind me to put out the bins please when I am at home” “Searching Bing for peas” . “What!”

This morning I said “Please remind me to Call Ian from Barclays at 9:30”, she replied “Playing your Blues Music”, “No, don’t I’m playing my Fun Lovin’ Criminals CD and I really enjoying it”, “Searching Bing for creating CV’s for Criminals” “No, no, no please put Fun Lovin’ Criminals back on, I have no blues on the phone” “Phoning Kathy”, “No stop I don’t want to phone Kathy” …. Moves phone into old fashion tap keys mode and explains to Kathy why I have woken her up at 6:15 in the morning.

UK experience of Cortana, she needs to understand my accent (which I hope will come), needs to learn that I say please and thank you a lot, and mostly that Kathy does not like being woken up early which I will hear a lot about later

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb