Your UK Experience of Cortana

BB10fanatic

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I like that it can read texts to me, even responding to my voice when I'm upstairs and my phone is downstairs. It's a necessary feature in this arms race, looking forward to using it more.

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The voice dealing with text messages is far better today, emotion in the voice and not at all robotic, if they manage that across the system it will be great !

However getting directions is a nightmare ! Large cities and it seems ok, but try small ones or names like Broughton-in-furness and anything can happen! Usually it ignores the first part and points me to Furness nr Edmonton in Canada, with a message saying "I dont think you can get there by car"

So I added Broughton in Furness to my Favourite places ... and tried a few nicknames...all to no avail, seems like it isnt scanning favourites as yet !

Chit chat is now working good though, I look forward to seeing what else comes in the coming weeks or so

lawalhu

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Cortana UK is as good as that of the US. In fact, for me it's even better. Before I switched to the UK Cortana, error code was always returned whenever i requested for alarm to be set, but now it's done perfectly well. The only difference i noticed is with regards to Bing search on countries and some personalities. The US Cortana usually produces a synopsis on the profile of the countries or personalities, with more details when you swipe the screen horizontally.i think that's the only feature i miss for now.

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm, I just got the update on 1020 UK Vodafone, but theres no Cortana anywhere!

Region is UK
Language is English (UK)

Am I missing something?

Jules W

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Don't be so polite, just say 'Remind me to ...'
Asking 'Please remind me.. ' may cause her confuse with 'Play xxx'
Just a suggestion

stickyshocker

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes sir you have to have the 8.1.1 (8.1 update 1) to get it. I have had a 930 for a few weeks and had no Cortana until the update 1 was pug on. Just wondering though but what's putting you off the dp?

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit though, Cortana has had some quite spectacular fails...

pNrWiWH.png

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes sir you have to have the 8.1.1 (8.1 update 1) to get it. I have had a 930 for a few weeks and had no Cortana until the update 1 was pug on. Just wondering though but what's putting you off the dp?

Couple of things really, first I font want to deal with unfinished software, it just annoys me, id rather wait for it, its not the end of the world to wait. Im also focussed on getting a lot done and don't have time to waste on things like flashing ROMs to roll back so I can get 8.1. Im learning C# to make apps for WP and as soon as im up to speed then I will have a dedicated handset with the DP. right now I cant be bothered with the hassle.

After I got 8.1 I changed the region and language and saw Cortana, however there was no sound at all which was strange, i just rolled back to my region rather than waste an hour trying to find the cause. Life's too short!

paulsalter

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Very impressed with location reminders

Decided to try added a couple today for when I went into the town, as soon as I walked passed the shops up popped a reminder

Worked really well

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I've had a mainly positive experience with Cortana, my only niggle so far is her defaulting to MOM, I'm not in the States nor in an area of the Black Country so I say MUM.

She's plays selected music on demand, for the most part understands a lot of the music, only getting one song wrong when tested and that was cause it was from a obscure Japanese group.

Had a fail when I asked where am I when I was at my mothers, it thought I was 7 houses up the street, so didn't give a messages to me when I'd set it to remind me to do something when I got to mums. So hopefully it'll get better.

The way I see it, if she's like this now, how great is she going to be when officially released in November?!?!

Just my pennies worth on the subject.

G.

lawalhu

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I also observe that she hardly recognizes WhatsApp. When you say "open WhatsApp", she mostly ends up opening an app that's not related to WhatsApp in pronunciation; at a point, she opened internet settings

steppyhen

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed the UK Cortana has stopped doing impressions? She just does a Bing search now, whereas before she would at least attempt doing them...!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed the UK Cortana has stopped doing impressions? She just does a Bing search now, whereas before she would at least attempt doing them...!

Yes. Some bits and pieces stopped working on the US version of Cortana a few months ago, turns out it was a side effect of updates on the server. Hopefully it's a sign of changes being made.

thrash994

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
How to enable Cortana without Update 1? Is there any possible way I can do that? Or anyone here with HTC phone that didn't get Update 1 has Cortana?

paramsingh

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

It worked about a week ago, so recently when I tried showing it off to my friends it didn't work. Now it's even harder to convince my friends to get Windows Phone.

Fra-T

May 31, 2014
Visit site
Anyone find the live tile for UK Cortana is less active?

On US I would get updates on it for travel time to home or work, as well as the weather along with standard headlines.

Now I only seem to get headlines, and it's not unusual to just get the pulsing circle doing nothing much else for long periods

D0gsballs

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Cortana hasn't started telling me about my commute but Nursery, work and home are all in my favourite places after adding them manually. However it's only been about a week now, maybe 6 days so hopefully in the next few days I'll start getting the prompts. I'm just a bit worried that because the signal at work is terrible it will have an impact on Cortana and the population of the notebook.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05