CORTANA UPDATE: She finally works fully while phone is locked!

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As part of Update 1, Cortana now fully works while the phone is locked! Previously, you were only able to ask her to play/shuffle your music while the phone was locked, and for everything else she would ask you to 'unlock your phone' (even for a simply query like "how are you today?" or the weather), which was SUPER annoying. NOW, she works 100% when the phone is locked.

And if you're wondering about privacy, the "phone" search pivot (for searching files on your phone) is disabled and prompts you to enter your PIN in order to search your phone.

Awesome! :D

Last edited:

thaman04

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
They also seemed to have corrected the issue where the phone screen stays on when you launch her in your pocket. Yay!

Tiaxx

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
They also seemed to have corrected the issue where the phone screen stays on when you launch her in your pocket. Yay!

Doesn't seem to be fixed for me, but then again the 630 lacks a proximity sensor - how would it know it's in my pocket :eck:

HansTj

May 10, 2013
Visit site
How do you trigger Cortana while the phone is locked? Turn on the screen and long-press and search button? I personally have never noticed that limitation even before Update 1. Does this only work when you password-protect the lockscreen?

Tiaxx

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Another interesting fact with my 630: Holding search button does not seem to trigger Cortana while it's locked - phone just stays locked - but holding the button on my headset/earbuds does...

naveen felix

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
So wen my phone is locked & if i want my cortana to show up then shd i just pop up questions just d way tat is done wen the phone is unlocked..???

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Another interesting fact with my 630: Holding search button does not seem to trigger Cortana while it's locked - phone just stays locked - but holding the button on my headset/earbuds does...
Huh most likely a software issue, they'll definitely fix it.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
How do you trigger Cortana while the phone is locked? Turn on the screen and long-press and search button? I personally have never noticed that limitation even before Update 1. Does this only work when you password-protect the lockscreen?

I think the originator of this post corrected this to pin locked vs. Locked. It's always worked for me pre update 1 when locked by holding down the search key.

HTC13

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

In Cortana settings under speech, do have enable speech above lock screen set?

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, it would work nicely if you could just hold the search button even in idle state (not even in lock screen) to open...the lockscreen for me is just a swipe up its not a big deal but while im driving it would be nice to be able to access Cortana by simply holding the search key for 5 sec or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo