Cortana Features

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Starting a new thread seemed more simple to me than finding the right thread that was just a list of all Cortana's features.
Here's what I do know:
She learns by your interests that you tell her to give you the latest news and access to features that help you find food, entertainment, etc.
In addition, she uses your interests and your location to improve her voice search, giving you the nearest restaurants, their rating, how far they are, even directions to get there. Or the directions and number for AT&T store. Whatever it is, she'll help you.
You can use her brilliantly accurate voice recognition(I've played with her a lot and I was quite astounded by how easily she picked up exactly what I was saying right off the bat. Just to test her I told her the names of two obscure characters from a cartoon I used to watch-Katara and Sokka-and she got it perfectly) to send texts to anybody in your contacts by saying something like "Text Dad I'll be home soon." Or you can call them.
You can set alarms(very easy to do, I enjoyed playing with that).
Add dates and meetings to your calendar(pretty easy to do but I couldn't figure out how to cancel the "business meeting" like I could with the alarm.
Am I missing anything? I sure I am. The idea just came to me as I was writing this and I'm too lazy to try right this moment but can you search and play music from your stored music? That would be big for me since most of my memory is music.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Yes, this thread is posted on that forum. But I can't find one dedicated to her features and what she can do and nothing else. I've already set her up and know my way around her I just wanted to know if she could do something I didn't know about.
Apparently(I have yet to test it, I only just read it on a forum about the 8.1 Update), she can play and shuffle music from the lock screen. But you can't search through your music? Kind of disappointing but not too big of a deal.

jeiiel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
If you ask her what song is playing. She does her music search. Pretty cool, I asked her while driving "what is this song" and she did her thing and found the song for me

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Well Cortana is still in Beta. Which is unbelievable. The potential I see in her...People have been talking about how Google Voice and Siri are better but Cortana is just started! I think it would be a very neat little feature in the upcoming updates that are inevitable for Cortana to be able to say something like "Search music for Fake It by Seether." I have so much music that when I'm trying to show someone a song it takes me forever to find it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon