Cortana India Doesn't Understands

Irfan Siddiqui

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Dear all,

I have two Lumia 520.

I have installed cortana today in both my phone with English (India) and is working fine in my one of that phone in which I have installed developer preview today itself. But is not understanding anything (installed) in my another 520 in which I had installed developer preview 1-2 months ago.

Cortana is installed in both the phone but isn't understanding even a single word I speak to it.

But in another 520 it easily understand my accent. What's wrong with Cortana in the other phone I have with me?

Thanks!

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Cortana doesn't work with English India. Use UK English as language and speech options. It should work normally. You are using Cortana alpha so it's different from Cortana beta version.

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Here is the solution. Do exactly this. Make sure your region is set to India; no need to change region to UK.

1. Go to settings > speech. In the Speech language dialog box, change the option to English (US).

2. Uncheck the Improve recognition for non-native speakers radio box, which can be found below the Speech language dialog box.

3. Change the option back to English (UK) in the Speech language dialog box.

4. Turn on Location services from settings > location.

5. Turn on Data connection from settings > mobile+SIM.

6. Open Cortana. Speak to her. She'll respond properly now.

GreatDharmatma

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Here is the solution. Do exactly this. Make sure your region is set to India; no need to change region to UK.

1. Go to settings > speech. In the Speech language dialog box, change the option to English (US).

2. Uncheck the Improve recognition for non-native speakers radio box, which can be found below the Speech language dialog box.

Thanks a lot :) This works perfectly

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site

thanks for ur reply...one doubt how much difference there between the alpha and beta one ?

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
thanks for ur reply...one doubt how much difference there between the alpha and beta one ?

Its not exactly quantifiable but the difference is obvious.

Examples:
I used to ask her to find me the nearest restaurants and she did it perfectly in beta.
In the alpha, she does a Bing search.

If ask her "What's my name?" in alpha, she does a Bing search.
In the beta, she'd tell me my name.

It will be a while before she gets anywhere near beta level, but then again that's what an alpha build is.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Examples:
I used to ask her to find me the nearest restaurants and she did it perfectly in beta.

It will be a while before she gets anywhere near beta level, but then again that's what an alpha build is.

I am from India using Cortana alpha....but it doesn't do Bing search it works as well as Cortana beta

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Here is the screenshot, you can see alpha written on the top right corner

Sent from my RM-941_im_india_204 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• wp_ss_20140808_0003.png
    wp_ss_20140808_0003.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 5

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site

Examples:

Cortana alpha is showing signs of improvement... Previously when I asked it about restaurants, all it did was Bing search but now a you see in the screenshot it speaks and also displays the correct restaurants. However I cannot claims the same in case of " what is my name?". It does a Bing search. So all I can say is that she is improving in a normal pace. 😉

Adirocks

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
u6udupyr.png

Alpha version means primary stage of any software
And I must say she is going good as a alpha release
, she is not as functional as US beta
But will be there soon

DrSARANG MALI

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Cortana opening

I am new to this, have updated to cyan, How to open 🚪 Cortana, is it apps or already in present in settings? I am using L1320.

Kaushik Banerjee

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Re: Cortana opening

I am new to this, have updated to cyan, How to open 🚪 Cortana, is it apps or already in present in settings? I am using L1320.
Congrats for upgrading to WP8.1 cyan . Go to settings select language and set it to English Uk. Do the same for speech settings. Now the Uk language will start downloading after you have restarted your phone. After downloading completes, make sure Uk English is selected, turn on location and press the search soft key in your phone Cortana shall fire up. No Cortana doesn't need to be installed seperately, its inbuilt in the OS. And available under applications menu..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05