Cortana Not Listening on Lumia 920 (HARDWARE?)

JeremyBritton

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
When I hold in the search button and Cortana pops up, she doesn't seem to here anything that I say.

It appears to be a hardware issue and not a software issue, but I'm not sure. My phone got submerged in hot coffee for about 5 seconds last Saturday and it seemed to have killed the battery. The phone came back to life on Tuesday and the first thing it did was prompt for the 8.1 update 1. The phone has occasional service drops now as well(Cleaned coffee off of SIM card). Though my speaker phone still works and I would assume that that is what is used by Cortana.

I just tested the phone with my Jaybird X-Buds and confirm that she does work with its bluetooth mic. So I must be hardware related.

Could there be a separate mic that might be ruined that would prevent her from listening that isn't required for the speaker phone(Noise Cancelling Maybe)?

Lumia 920 Developer Preview 8.1 Update 1 no Cyan Update.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Not Sure. It works fine on my 920. Im sure it does have something to do with the coffee.

I wouldn't bother getting it fixed. I recently bought a used 920 off of ebay for $90 and it was in near flawless condition (the seller gave it like a 3/5 for appearance, but I have no idea what he was talking about). The repairs will probably be more expensive than what you would pay to get a newish one.

Billy Tantri

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I need to literally put my mouth on the top MIC in order for Cortana to hear me. The MIC at the bottom can't listen at all.
I thought my bottom MIC is broken. But in Nokia camera video recording both MIC work properly. I test it by speaking to each MIC. However, stock Microsoft camera apps video recording can't utilize the bottom MIC

StudentoflifeUSMC

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem with my 920. Cortana won't listen, and as an added bonus - I have no recorded sound on videos. No ambient noise either. It's like the microphone is muted.

But, this phone is under warranty, so it might be time to call AT&T and see what they offer in terms of a replacement.

hacer619

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Well, I recently got this issue. However it was my fault. Cortana uses the mic on the top (next to headphones jack). I was replacing my l920 housing from black to white color. the headphones jack is glued to the housing, it also comes with a mic. The jack is connected to the motherboard by 8 pin contacts. As for the coffee case in this thread it is either the contacts need cleaning or the mic is damage. In my case, while removing the jack it slipped and the flex cable of the mic got damaged. Now Cortana doesn't work, but fixing this is cheap and easy. You can get the jack + mic for 2-4$ on eBay or aliexpress. Just search for "Lumia 920 headphone jack". I think replacing it doesn't need professional skills. Hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6