Does cortana works good on 2g internet ?

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Does cortana works on 2g internet in India? In most of the hands on demo all are showing in WiFi or 3g..what about working in 2g? in India 3g is not available in all areas... How much battery discharge will takes place using cortana for one hour?

Anyone using cortana in India and other countries pls reply

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I switched off Wi-Fi and bumped my 920 down to 2G/EDGE speeds.
I am on the AT&T network in the metro DC area ish.

I found it takes much longer, simply saying "hello" takes ~16 seconds for a "hi" back.
And voice recognition is much slower, going noticeably word by word., I suspect a significant dip in accuracy too.

Bumping it up to 3G/3.5G, (ATT's H, H+ network), a response to "hello" flew back to me in only 2-4 seconds.

However, writing out your commands, as opposed to speaking it, cut the time to respond to my typed out "hello" to ~6 seconds on 2G/EDGE.

So if I were on 2G, I wouldn't be talking much.

2G/EDGE Speedtest.net results: very-high ms ping / 0.00 Mbps down / 0.00 Mbps up
Microsoft Speed Test results: seems the same, I suspect they timed out.

Results on 3G/H/3.5G/fauxG/H+ (couldn't choose and it switched between):
130 ms ping / 2.32 Mbps down / 1.62 Mbps up

lum5

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
I switched off Wi-Fi and bumped my 920 down to 2G/EDGE speeds.
I am on the AT&T network in the metro DC area ish.

I found it takes much longer, simply saying "hello" takes ~16 seconds for a "hi" back.
And voice recognition is much slower, going noticeably word by word., I suspect a significant dip in accuracy too.

Bumping it up to 3G/3.5G, (ATT's H, H+ network), a response to "hello" flew back to me in only 2-4 seconds.

However, writing out your commands, as opposed to speaking it, cut the time to respond to my typed out "hello" to ~6 seconds on 2G/EDGE.

So if I were on 2G, I wouldn't be talking much.

2G/EDGE Speedtest.net results: very-high ms ping / 0.00 Mbps down / 0.00 Mbps up
Microsoft Speed Test results: seems the same, I suspect they timed out.

Results on 3G/H/3.5G/fauxG/H+ (couldn't choose and it switched between):
130 ms ping / 2.32 Mbps down / 1.62 Mbps up

thanks for ur reply...so to me typing is only hope...atleast it willl works thats great...💃💃 now waiting for update in India 🙇

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
It stutters real bad on 2G for me in Mumbai.Sometimes it works and most of the times, it simply says "The internet and I aren't talking right now". plus Microsoft is blatantly ignoring to provide a 3G lock to use such features. Skype and Cortana are pretty much useless on 2G on a Lumia.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
blatantly ignoring...?

most any phone uses the best signal available to them by default. If there's no 3G signal, you can't force the phone to get 3G and 3G only...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa