Suggestion: Push-to-talk with Cortana

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I added a suggestion to the uservoice forum here:
Use short press of camera button as push-to-talk-with-Cortana feature when not in camera app. – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

My suggestion is to use the camera button to automatically open Cortana and enable the microphone. This would effectively make the camera button a push-to-talk button allowing you to instantly talk to Cortana. This would not work when in a camera app, obviously, but it should work everywhere else, even the lock screen and with the screen off.

Would anybody else use this feature? If so, give it a vote or three.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
No... Because I like launching the camera when I'm in other apps, in case a once in a lifetime opportunity happens. What would I have to do then when you can do the same functionality that you're describing with the Search button? Then add in the case that not every phone has a camera button, but every phone has a search button.

FYI - long press the Search button does exactly what you're trying to get. ;)

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
It would be a nice feature but would be unfair to those who doesn't have a camera button.

The best button to use this feature is to double click the power button which is also the wake-up button to get to lockscreen or turn on the screen.. That way, everybody is happy.

If you use the power button for this, accidental push will creep you out hearing that someone is talking to you out of the blue.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
FYI - long press the Search button does exactly what you're trying to get. ;)

Nope, it doesn't. You can't long-press the search button when the screen is off. Also, the search button is not a hard button, so I have to look at the phone to make sure my finger is on it.

The other day I was driving and I wanted directions to a place. I had to wake the phone, look down to find the search button, and long-press the search button. I said, "find Logan airport." Cortana responded that she found Logan airport. I had to look at my phone again to find the microphone button and push the microphone button just to say, "give me directions." If I had a hard button, I could do all this without taking my eyes off the road.

You are suggesting that the hard button, which could be used many times a day for taking to Cortana, should be reserved for those "once in a lifetime" opportunities. I think the many-times-a-day opportunities should trump the once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It would be a nice feature but would be unfair to those who doesn't have a camera button.

The best button to use this feature is to double click the power button which is also the wake-up button to get to lockscreen or turn on the screen.. That way, everybody is happy.

If you use the power button for this, accidental push will creep you out hearing that someone is talking to you out of the blue.

What does fairness have to do with this? Is it fair that I have a camera button at all? Maybe they should disable the camera button altogether to be fair to those people without one.

The double-push of the power button is a good idea too.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
What does fairness have to do with this? Is it fair that I have a camera button at all? Maybe they should disable the camera button altogether to be fair to those people without one.

The double-push of the power button is a good idea too.

If Microsoft even considers this idea (using hard button), it has to be implemented on a common button that can be used on any device. Not all windows phone has a camera button but all phones have power button. And again, it's just fair. :) You only thought about using the camera button because you have it. What if you don't have it? Surely you will think of using either the power or volume buttons because those are standard buttons.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If Microsoft even considers this idea (using hard button), it has to be implemented on a common button that can be used on any device. Not all windows phone has a camera button but all phones have power button. And again, it's just fair. :) You only thought about using the camera button because you have it. What if you don't have it? Surely you will think of using either the power or volume buttons because those are standard buttons.

No offense, but that makes no sense whatsoever. Using your logic, ANYTHING you do with the camera button, including TAKING A PICTURE, is "unfair." When people pay less and get fewer features, that is a fact of life. Nobody buys a Chevy Cruze and then complains that the Corvette should be nerfed because it's not "fair" for the person who paid 10x as much to get more features. It's preposterous.

I amend my suggestion as follows. The camera button is given only two new functions: 1) when the screen is off, a short press of the camera button wakes the phone into the Cortana app and activates the microphone, and 2) whenever the phone is in the Cortana app, the camera button activates the microphone.

Another suggestion is to make the Cortana halo a microphone button itself and center it on the screen to provide a big, convenient target. There are times when I wake my phone, open Cortana, begin to press the microphone, and then I think as long as I'm pushing a button that is practically in the text entry line, I might as well just type. I think there is a tipping point where if you make speech a little more convenient, many more people will use it in many more situations.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
No offense, but that makes no sense whatsoever. Using your logic, ANYTHING you do with the camera button, including TAKING A PICTURE, is "unfair." When people pay less and get fewer features, that is a fact of life. Nobody buys a Chevy Cruze and then complains that the Corvette should be nerfed because it's not "fair" for the person who paid 10x as much to get more features. It's preposterous.
I don't understand why you are dwelling on the "fairness" issue. I just mentioned it and it is not the main point I am trying to make. What doesn't make sense and illogical is the fact that you are asking Microsoft to add a feature to something that is useless to some Windows Phone owners. All cameras will work even without a camera button. But your suggestion will only work on some devices. Do you think Microsoft will agree with that? Try to think outside the box. You don't wanna wake up the phone with a short press. Any accidental pressing in your pocket or inside your "purse" will be very annoying and eventually stress your battery out. It should be at least a double press or a long press.
Your concept is good but you have no idea how things work.

Actually, if you are driving and don't want to get distracted finding and pressing a button to activate Cortana (and the microphone), there is a way to activate Cortana hands-free (yes, by just talking) like I do.

I have a Blueant bluetooth handsfree device in my car that automatically connects to my phone when the bluetooth is on. The standard command to activate blueant device is by simply start talking and say "Blueant, speak to me." And then it will talk back saying "Say a command." Answer back by saying "Phone Command" and it will connect to your phone and automatically activate Cortana and the microphone. You will hear a beep and then you can start talking to Cortana. Newer cars have built-in bluetooth. I don't know if your car has one but you can try that option.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05