Windows phone 9.0. who's excited?

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What Microsoft said was "WP8 is Upgradable" i.e. it got several updates and where wp7 received 7.5 and 7.8
So I clearly state "WP8 or WP 8.1 will not be updated to WP9" and they say "Due to certain hardware or kernal limitations WP 8.x won't be upgradeable to WP9"

windows phone 7 using windows mobile's kernel type (monolithic, while wp8 is using hybrid NT kernel, which same as windows)
and windows phone 7 has less API, which made it allowed to use under 256MB RAM, while in windows phone 8 are different

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
if my 1020 isn't upgradeable to 9.0, i will take my 3 lumias back to the new bigger iphone. If they say its hardware issue, then admit how stupid it was to not demands higher specs from manufacturers... Msft better wise up fast

why would people look at only first few comment that makes no sense

dby2011

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
How can anyone be excited when they can't even get their act together with officially releasing Windows Phone 8.1? I know....I know...it's the carriers. Tired of hearing that. The only hope at this point is the enterprise and the low to mid range market for Microsoft. Based on what we are seeing this fall it appears they know it too but won't come out and say it. I have teenagers and a failed attempt to get one to use a Windows Phone- didn't work. Couldn't even sustain it for a year before giving in to Apple. I am a Microsoft fan, but I just don't see them ever getting significant market share, that mountain is way too high. They know it too because they already have set up camp in iOS and Android with Onedrive and Office. So can I get excited with Wp 9? Not really because I can't even see an offical version of 8.1 on my Lumia now and it was announced how many months ago?

naveenow

Banned
May 29, 2014
Visit site
MY LAST COMMENT:
WP 8 & WP 8.1 OR WP 8.X will be like WP 7 & WP 7.5 OR WP 7.8
It will be dead when WP9 arrives and 1520 & 930 will be safe...

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
The general consensus of opinion amongst those reasonably in the know is that W8/8.1 phones will be upgradable to WP9.

I'm pretty sure this was near as damn it confirmed quite sometime ago but can't find the info now.

WP7 couldn't be upgraded to 8, the 'guts' of the software the kernal etc were entirely different and were incompatible.

WP9 has the same / same enough underlying 'guts'. I am 100% convinced that Wp8/8.1 devices will be upgradeable. But it's still just an opinion.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
All I can say is that some of these concepts have already been implemented in 8.1 and 8.1 Update 1 sp Microsoft is headed in the tight direction if they are going to eventually get to this point. The concept is very well done and beautiful but with so many gestures the learning curve will be a little steeper than previous versions of the OS. I would love to see split screen multitasking done especially with devices like the 1520. Imagine the possibilities. With everything Microsoft has done lately software wise, they have really done a great job. They just need to find a way to gain back the Me Hub integration with social media and all the hub experiences in general need to be restored to former glory. I'll have to keep my eyes on this story. Interesting. And I don't believe Microsoft can afford not to upgrade current hardware up to 9.0 and essentially force supporters to either buy new phones or choose to look elsewhere.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Yup, because microsoft never allow wp7 users to update wp8. The same thing will happen.

Windows phone 7, it's best phone had a 1ghz single core processor and 256mb of ram. Yeah, I can see that being a limitation for Windows Phone 8, where the worst phone has a 1ghz dual-core processor and 512mb of ram. You add that to the new kernel from Windows Phone 7 to 8, and everything makes sense as to why it wasn't updated. Now, if they do come out with a Windows Phone 9, I don't see the same scenario happening, at least to the latest crop of phones, but my 920 may be getting left out, but not the x3x series and the new HTC One.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
If my 1020 isn't upgradeable to 9.0, I will take my 3 Lumias back to the new bigger iPhone. If they say its hardware issue, then admit how stupid it was to not demands higher specs from manufacturers... MSFT better wise up fast
Like iPhone gets all the updates, eh? Geez man. Apple is dropping support for a handset each year. The latest IOS 8 won't support iPhone 4, and the IOS 6,7 versions didn't have a majority of features for it.

Anyway,I believe that the current Gen phones will be updated, each one of them, because-
a) the kernel difference no longer exists between WP 9 and 8.
b) they have to large base of users on Lumia 520 to ignore them completely.
c) All current WP 8.1 phones are supported until 2017.
d) WP is not Android, with its clumsy fragmentation issues.

Bizarro_Prime

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
because of wp7 to wp8 upgrade issues... And Bit Locker issue for Lumia DP devices cannot be solved. Only NSRT helps...

I'm struggling to understand how the Bitlocker issue is a 100% guarantee that WP8 phones won't be upgradeable to WP9.
There was no way to upgrade WP7 to WP8 so I don't know what upgrade issues you're referring to either.

The reason for there being no upgrade from WP7 to WP8 has been documented many times on many websites. It just wasn't possible as WP7 was based on old software.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
While everyone else seems to only be bothered about whether WP9 is going to be upgradable or not (Course I am too...but as a L520 owner guess its too much to ask for)
Am I the only one missing my beloved Cortana...cause I couldn't find her anywhere in that video

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
windows phone 7 using windows mobile's kernel type (monolithic, while wp8 is using hybrid NT kernel, which same as windows)
and windows phone 7 has less API, which made it allowed to use under 256MB RAM, while in windows phone 8 are different

This is the true answer before all you start listening to those saying it will happen again.

With 7.X to 8 there were technical reasons they couldn't do the update:
- No secure boot on WP7.X hardware
- OS totally different - CE v WinNT

This time it's the same as 8.0 to 8.1. Or 8.1 to 8.1.1.

Microsoft will upgrade users, because it's technically easy and they'd be hurting customers/image if they didn't.

They have to because Apple does.

At some point upgrades will stop - when hardware doesn't support an upgrade, or processor speeds don't work adequately - then the upgrades will stop. Until then they will effectively replicate Apple's always upgrade policy because anything else is death.

denzilla

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Has Microsoft commented on whether WP8 devices will be able to upgrade to WP9? We will be getting new phones in December and I sure as hell don't want to get a WP8 device if WP9 is coming out in a few months and I won't be able to upgrade.

Microsoft needs to be real clear about this or they risk alienating people again.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
How can anyone be excited when they can't even get their act together with officially releasing Windows Phone 8.1? I know....I know...it's the carriers. Tired of hearing that. The only hope at this point is the enterprise and the low to mid range market for Microsoft. Based on what we are seeing this fall it appears they know it too but won't come out and say it. I have teenagers and a failed attempt to get one to use a Windows Phone- didn't work. Couldn't even sustain it for a year before giving in to Apple. I am a Microsoft fan, but I just don't see them ever getting significant market share, that mountain is way too high. They know it too because they already have set up camp in iOS and Android with Onedrive and Office. So can I get excited with Wp 9? Not really because I can't even see an offical version of 8.1 on my Lumia now and it was announced how many months ago?
I get what you're saying, but, if you don't mind me asking, where do you live? Lumia Cyan seems to have rolled out to most phones, regions and carriers. Even Canada (a wasteland for Windows Phone) Cyan is widely available, i.e. my near 2-year old Lumia 920 has it.

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Can't say I am since I don't even know what's going to be in it... Actually I believe they're showing off Windows 9 not Windows Phone 9 in September.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise