Your reaction over new passive voice activation of Cortana

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I was so anxious for this week as I was expecting this feature of passive voice activation ( PVA) but was really disappointed to see phones like 720/820/525/920/925/1020 not getting this feature. What are you guys thinking? Keeping in mind that It can destroy the fan base of 1020 with a slight margin as it cost more than both Lumia 1520 and 930 .

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, the 1020 does not cost more, maybe where you live.

It's understandable that those devices wont get it due to battery life. These very same people will complain, if MS did implement it on those devices, that their battery life is atrocious and performance is bad. These ppl don't understand technology but want everything new for older devices.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Ugh, the 1020 does not cost more, maybe where you live.

It's understandable that those devices wont get it due to battery life. These very same people will complain, if MS did implement it on those devices, that their battery life is atrocious and performance is bad. These ppl don't understand technology but want everything new for older devices.
I understand your point but devices like 830 too don't have it...I mean c'mon? A cheaper android phone has it ( moto x ) ..they could have given that to it.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
So you mean those phone to have it have better battery life?
I am waiting for the successor of 1020 hoping they will put a listening chip as well as one of the latest processors preferably the 810

Idiosyncrasy

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Did anyone from Nokia/MS actually say that it requires the Snapdragon 8xx series? The documentation about the firmware on Nokia's site states that the Voice Activation is thanks to the SensorCore which IS included in devices like the 630. I haven't been paying a lot of attention quite yet since work has been busy, but here's the link to Nokia Conversations:
Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Conversations

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
This isn't Nokia's fault, the newer Snapdragon 800 processors have support for low power motion sensors and low power voice sensors.

While it is possible for passive voice detection to appear in the older Lumia generation it would kill your battery very fast, plus it might not even be as accurate or consistent.

That is the reason why only Lumia 1520, 930 and Icon support this feature.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
While it would have been nice to have this on all 8.1 devices, battery is a major issue. So unless Cortana & all her features can be optimised to such a state that they consume lesser power, I think I can live with calling her up at the press of the search key.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Did anyone from Nokia/MS actually say that it requires the Snapdragon 8xx series? The documentation about the firmware on Nokia's site states that the Voice Activation is thanks to the SensorCore which IS included in devices like the 630. I haven't been paying a lot of attention quite yet since work has been busy, but here's the link to Nokia Conversations:
Full of features: Lumia Denim Update - Conversations

Hoping for you to be correct.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
While it would have been nice to have this on all 8.1 devices, battery is a major issue. So unless Cortana & all her features can be optimised to such a state that they consume lesser power, I think I can live with calling her up at the press of the search key.

It's not Cortana that would drain the battery, it would be the processors that would constantly be running the microphones. There is no way to optimize the battery in this situation.

Eh, if it's consolation the search button isn't really that bad.

But the least Nokia could do, is, activate passive voice when the phone is on charging.

idokamaroq

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Do you guys think that it's possible the One M8 could get this in a future update? (I don't know if the android version of the M8 supports the "OK Google" passive voice activation thing or not)

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Do you guys think that it's possible the One M8 could get this in a future update? (I don't know if the android version of the M8 supports the "OK Google" passive voice activation thing or not)

The M8 has hardware capable of this feature, but currently it seems to be a Lumia Denim exclusive.

The Android HTC One M8 has Google Now everywhere, except when the phone is locked. But Android L will bring passive voice detection to all Snapdragon 800 devices.

I hope that Microsoft does the same with Windows Phone.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I believe I remember hearing a while back that these kind of features would require the SD 8xx, 6xx, or 4xx series which makes complete sense and I agree with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte