Start Screen going away on non touch devices?

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
So, if the Start button on Windows 9 will bring up a new Start Menu instead of the Start Screen, do you think devices without touch support will cease to include the Start Menu?

What about touch compatible devices? Do you have any idea of how the transition between the Desktop and the Modern interfaces will be done?

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
do you think devices without touch support will cease to include the Start Menu?
Don't you mean Start Screen?

What about touch compatible devices? Do you have any idea of how the transition between the Desktop and the Modern interfaces will be done?
Windows RT devices will reportedly lose the desktop. Tablets with full Windows I'm not sure about. Some people may prefer the Start Screen on those so perhaps there will be a choice? See the option in the latest build (which some people are saying will be removed):

Win9.png

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok! Now I understand how it will work. My doubt was if there was going to be a way to use both the Start Menu and the Start Screen but apparently there isn't. You have to choose one of them.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
My doubt was if there was going to be a way to use both the Start Menu and the Start Screen
How would that work? You'd click somewhere and the Start Menu would come up, touch elsewhere and the Start Screen would instead? That would be pretty confusing don't you think?

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Some people suggested a button somewhere near the place where the Live Tiles are located on the Start Menu that would take you to the Start Screen.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Some people suggested a button somewhere near the place where the Live Tiles are located on the Start Menu that would take you to the Start Screen.

So to open the Start Screen one would have to open the Start Menu first? That just sounds like a perfect implementation failure to me.

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
So to open the Start Screen one would have to open the Start Menu first? That just sounds like a perfect implementation failure to me.

It doesn't necessarily mean that. Since you chose that you wanted the Start Menu that would be your main experience. You would only use the Start Screen as an extension to that experience, so one more click wouldn't be a problem, since the core of your experience would be the Start Menu and not the Screen.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't necessarily mean that. Since you chose that you wanted the Start Menu that would be your main experience. You would only use the Start Screen as an extension to that experience, so one more click wouldn't be a problem, since the core of your experience would be the Start Menu and not the Screen.

Maybe... Even if the Start Menu was their choice I'm not at all convinced people would bother to access the Start Screen that way.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Would love hardware profiles with this.

For example using a surface device... When docked with using the keyboard and mouse, it uses the start menu, when you detach the keyboard (or dock depending on the device) and use it as a tablet, it would automatically switch to use the start screen.

It would be the best of both worlds...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs