8 -> 10 another 7 -> 8 situation?

AdamInTx

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Just wondering if we've heard anything about the windows 10 transition being anything like the 7 to 8 transition. I'm still on a Lumia 900 with 7.8 since MS was kind enough to change the core of WP less than 2 months after I bought my phone. I'm wanting to get the 830 when it comes out here in the US but now with the announcement of 10 am a little worried about another "sorry we changed so much that your phone can't handle the new OS, feel free to buy a new phone if you want the upgrade" situation mid next year when 10 is released.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I'd hope not. With specs on these devices being the way they are... and FULL Windows 8 running on tablets that have 1GB RAM and 16GB storage, we shouldn't have a repeat of the 7.8 - > 8 situation.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but will it work on 512MB devices like the Lumia 520? That's something I'm concerned about. However, I'll have to wait and see like everyone else.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Unless the kernel changes, it should be upgradeable. They did say they're making sure that all the apps written already will work with no adjustments required on Windows 10, which probably means that the kernel will not change. The phone kernel is the same as desktop windows already, so they're not going to change that (7 -> 8 was when they moved phone from CE (embedded) to NT kernel (what desktop windows use)) and I don't think they're abandoning the NT kernel, they would ruin the backwards compatibility with 'legacy' windows applications, which would mean that business would NEVER move to Windows 10.

512MB RAM should be enough, WP doesn't multitask the way PCs do, so it doesn't need as much RAM, or the loading times will increase slightly, or they'll optimize it so good that it will still fly even on Lumia 520.

TL;DR I see no technical reason why WP couldn't be upgraded to W(P)10.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, nobody knows.
Anybody that tells you 'don't worry, it can't possibly happen' is just talking out of their rear end.

There could end up being a break, or not, just because, Microsoft would want it, or not want it, to.

In fact, 6.5 Windows Mobile shared the same kernel as WP7......yet there was a break.

I really wouldn't be surprised if there was, given the radio silence about new flagship devices (the coming 730/830 had been in development for some time).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos