So why is MS skipping 9? And going to 10?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't, meaning it's actually:

Windows Two

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Seems a little stupid..:straight:

You should have watched Microsoft's live show on YouTube. They named it Windows 10 to 'sync' their names on their products/services (XBox One, OneNote, etc) but they couldn't name it as 'Windows One' because that's the first version of Windows.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
A version number is just that a number, what should be more important as how it performs, functions, is it resource efficient etc.

From a marketing stand point and branding the move is a simply brilliant, as the jump to double digits creates a clear line between 8 and windows 10 as people would have perceived Windows 9 to be the transition phase towards Windows 10.

The jump to 10 puts the average consumer on the back foot and makes them think "i'm running windows 7... I am three versions behind!".

Therefore playing on their mind that they must upgrade and the people who are using XP?

It should be the kick up the back side that they need to get upgrading as they will be four versions behind.

I am eagerly waiting on tech preview release and may end up dual booting.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You should have watched Microsoft's live show on YouTube. They named it Windows 10 to 'sync' their names on their products/services (XBox One, OneNote, etc) but they couldn't name it as 'Windows One' because that's the first version of Windows.

I wish people had actually watched the damn video before they start this again.... And again... Lol

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Version number logic:
Windows 7 = NT6.1 = 6+1 = 7
Windows 8 = NT 6.2 = 6+2 = 8
Windows 8.1 = NT 6.3 = 6+3 = 9
Windows 10 = NT 6.4? = 6+4 = 10
This is the most reasonable explanation yet. I just wish MS would explain why. The tech articles and haters are already stating how MS is so confused on what they're doing that they can't even get their versioning straight.

Zuchit

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
May be because Microsoft is already famous for their slow updates and they want to change it taking a leap to 10!

anon(9057135)

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Can you elaborate? Whats wrong with the 10?

I love the Xbox One name, and las console was named Xbox 360.

Or better: Windows 95 -> Windows 98 (WTF! where is the 97??) -> Windows ME (what??)
Windows 2000 -> Windows XP (WTF! where is the 2001?) -> Windows Vista -> Windows 7

A name is just that, a name.

Your post is invalid. Not ever, will they release a OS every year. Also they realized how stupid years were. Yes it's a name, but if you didn't see the topics title I asked why they wanted to skip the number 9.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I think they did it to get people to talk about it. Everywhere you look people are talking about windows 10 vs windows 9. I would call it a success just from that alone.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think that it is perfect. My initial reaction was skeptical, however Windows One has been done... That part of the keynote was solid.

Ultimately, the "Windows 10" moniker will become less and less relevant as the "One Windows" ecosystem becomes what we interact with. Our devices will blend into one continuous experience that is always live and in sync. Mobile first, Cloud first.

This. 'Nuff said.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
You do understand that Windows 8.1 is actually version 6.3.9600? For that matter, the Windows 7 everyone loved was actually closer to a .x upgrade to Vista. In terms of naming over time, you had 3, 3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8/RT, and 8.1, not including NT and server variants. Microsoft also completely skipped Office 13. Yes there is Office 2013 which is also Office 365 but that is actually Office 15 which replaced Office 14 (AKA Office 2010) which replaced Office 12. Long and short of it is they could name it Windows Bob and it would be just as meaningful. Quite frankly if they hadn't been so conservative in numbering versions, Windows 10 would have been reached at least one OS ago. BTW, does anyone really think Firefox is version 27 and Chrome is version 34? Version numbers stopped having meaning a long time ago....

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
The thinking behind the Windows 10 name is clear to me. It's a bold statement that says this OS is not just an incremental upgrade from 8.1 but rather a leap forward. It's designed with all form factors in mind and finally unifying all Windows OS efforts under a single platform. That means one app store, one development model, one updating architecture. They've even considered hybrid situations where certain hardware combos will allow a dynamic change of the UI to suit that factor.

MS must bring the enterprise along with them this time and avoid another marketing disaster that will keep big customers on Windows 7, regardless of the meaningful improvements in 8.1. I think this is a solid start to that mission.

I'm genuinely excited, just finished the TP download now, ready to dive in!

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you look at the build numbers in windows, it makes perfect sense.
Windows 8 RTM - Build 8600
Windows 8.1 RTM - Build 9600
Windows 10 RTM - Build 10600 (most likely)

Windows 8.1 had a new kernel introduced and stepped up to the next build number. It makes sense that they would keep this consistent and call the next version windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro