Windows 10 Store expectations

djgreedo

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft announced 'one store' for universal apps across all devices...but how do you think this will actually work?

Best-case scenario - Windows 10 will be able to run all store apps regardless of form factor (e.g. a current WP8 app would work on a desktop/tablet, and vice versa), and developers have a single target (with optional multiple UIs so apps can adapt to different platforms).

It might not be that good. It all depends on the APIs (i.e. if all versions of Windows 10 have the same API set) and compatibility (can a WP8 app run on Windows 10 phones, tablets, PCs).

Current apps may need to be updated to support Windows 10 (or to support platforms the app wasn't originally written for).

Xbox One is a wild card...hopefully there will be some kind of Xbox One app store that regular developers can access.

I guess we won't find out officially until Build (~April), but so far it looks like they have come a long way in unifying these platforms and building on the promise of the last 3 years.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Best-case scenario - Windows 10 will be able to run all store apps regardless of form factor (e.g. a current WP8 app would work on a desktop/tablet, and vice versa), and developers have a single target (with optional multiple UIs so apps can adapt to different platforms).

It might not be that good. It all depends on the APIs (i.e. if all versions of Windows 10 have the same API set) and compatibility (can a WP8 app run on Windows 10 phones, tablets, PCs).

Search for "OneCore" on Google.

And yes, exactly same API for all Windows 10 devices.

About the "8" apps, well, maybe they will appear on a separate section on the Store. Or a "this app is only for phone devices" message or something like this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon