Windows 10 theory

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't saying you didn't have common sense, I was saying that in general. Having to explain every detail to every person so they understand that you will never be able to run PhotoShop on a phone is ridiculous.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I wasn't saying you didn't have common sense, I was saying that in general. Having to explain every detail to every person so they understand that you will never be able to run PhotoShop on a phone is ridiculous.

Yeah, I doubt photoshop owners will have issues too, but others will:

You need only look at how the tech press reacted to Windows RT: "why doesn't my windows tablet run windows software" was a common complaint and misunderstanding, and I fully expect the tech press to complain about the same thing if MS decides to call their WP successor W10. The tech press' reactions will heavily influence consumer sentiment, just as it has for RT.

The average consumer may think: "hey, a phone that runs windows! I'll run my tax program on that and upgrade my 7 year old laptop and phone with a single carrier subsidised device ". Many of them will turn up here, asking how to get to the desktop on their new W10 phablet, and then obviously blame everyone but themselves for any confusion.

Finally, like I said, you can already see many signs of confusion here at WPC. The uncertainty about what W10 is, and the false expectations are apparent everywhere (this thread is an example). How do you expect the average consumer to deal, when so many at WPC are already thouroughly confused?

There are differences, and I just don't see how suggesting there aren't any helps anyone.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Universal apps for W10-arm and W10-x86 can be 100% identical, meaning the entire source code base and the binary distributable too, as it will often be just CPU independent IL code.
I don't think you can go that far, as any decent Universal app will do something with files and once you do that you're code changes significantly (the idiotic "AndContinue" FilePicker crap in WinPRT). We talk about the significant differences between computers, tablets, and phones in terms of the OS but MSFT is still, even after the Win8 disaster, trying to force them together. For whatever reason they still think that they can use Windows desktop dominance to leverage their way into phones. It hasn't worked and won't work. That's not what consumers want.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I thoroughly confused is a little strong.

I wasn't referring to you here. You understand that we've got more than one OS on our hands. I was referring to those who don't understand that. As I understand it, you just don't think the differences are worth mentioning.

Sorry for that.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you can go that far, as any decent Universal app will do something with files and once you do that you're code changes significantly (the idiotic "AndContinue" FilePicker crap in WinPRT). We talk about the significant differences between computers, tablets, and phones in terms of the OS but MSFT is still, even after the Win8 disaster, trying to force them together. For whatever reason they still think that they can use Windows desktop dominance to leverage their way into phones. It hasn't worked and won't work. That's not what consumers want.

Note that I was referring to Windows 10 not WP8.1

From what I understand, W104M (Windows 10 for mobile) will use the exact same WinRT API and runtime as W10, not just an adaptation of it. I suspect/hope MS will have a more straight forward file-picker solution by then.

If they intend to deliver on what they promise, they certainly can't have those kinds of differences between W10 and W104M.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss