Will Windows phone on 8.1 be upgraded to Windows 10?

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Does Windows phone 8.1 phone can be upgraded to Windows 10 or not ???

Not as of yet. Windows 10 is still in Technical Preview for PC/Surface only

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
This had not been confirmed nor denied by Microsoft, so speaking in absolutes can't be done. But, they changed things in WP 8 for a reason...

SpaceyO

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
This had not been confirmed nor denied by Microsoft, so speaking in absolutes can't be done. But, they changed things in WP 8 for a reason...

It most certainly has been confirmed by MS -

Joe Belfiore: Windows 10 preview for phones and ARM devices isn't due until 'well into 2015' | Windows Phone Central

First sentence of that article-

Microsoft's Joe Belfiore has confirmed previous rumors that a preview of Windows 10 that will run on ARM devices like Surface RT and Surface 2, along with Windows Phones, won't be released for a while.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Notice how Pranshul said: "all devices will be upgradable"?

That "upgradable" is they key word. It's the same language MS has used since WP8.0 was released. It's not the same as saying all devices will be upgraded!

The reason is that MS can't guarantee much. MS will ensure that WP10 can run on all devices (hence "upgradeable") but MS can't guarantee WP10 will be distributed to all devices. That is the carrier's job, over which MS has no control. The Lumia 810 is an example of a WP8.0 device that has been abandoned by the carrier and no longer receives updates.

Unfortunately, the WP community has yet to find a good response to this type of question. Most often a contradictory mess of non-information is all you'll get.

Often you'll be assured everyone will get the next update, but all you need do is look at the Lumia Icon forum to see how uncertain people really are of such assurances, particularly when it affects their own phone (Verizon has apparently EOL'ed the device).

I don't know what the best answer is either. Everyone with a WP8.0 device should get the W10 update, as MS and device OEMs expect carrier's to do that for their customers, it's just not guaranteed.

Last edited:

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

That "upgradable" is they key word. It's the same language MS has used since WP8.0 was released. It's not the same as saying all devices will be upgraded!

The reason is that MS can't guarantee much. MS will ensure that WP10 can run on all devices (hence "upgradeable") but MS can't guarantee WP10 will be distributed to all devices. That is the carrier's job, over which MS has no control. The Lumia 810 is an example of a WP8.0 device that has been abandoned by the carrier and no longer receives updates.

Practically all WP8.0 devices can be upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1, even if carriers don-t supply a firmware update.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Practically all WP8.0 devices can be upgraded to Windows Phone 8.1, even if carriers don-t supply a firmware update.

I guess that depends on our definition of "upgrade". Ultimately, it's the OP who must clarify whether having the developer preview as the only option would be "good enough".

IMHO trying to sell the developer preview as the equivalent of an update that is sanctioned by both OEM and carrier, and which also includes firmware, is not completely honest. It's workable, and certainly better than nothing, but the average Joe would probably feel deceived after being told he's 100% certain to get all updates, and then learn that the developer preview is the only way forward, particularly if Joe is used to iOS.

The fact that we had many people with developer preview related issues (particularly camera and battery related) also makes me somewhat reluctant to say both are equivalent.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If Not ... Let us stop buying a Windows Phone even the cheapest one L530 and move to android one or IOS ..!!

Although I'd be disappointed if we don't all get it, I'm staying with Windows Phone.

I don't like Google, so Android is out of the question, even if you ignore the security holes its riddled with. There are millions of Android users who are currently open to an ASOP browser flaw, which will never be patched and means those users could fall victim to identity theft. Before that was the revelation that Android devices only delete the directory tree when reset, leaving files readable through a PC; great if you sold your Galaxy through eBay.

I avoid Android like the plague and my standing advice is for everyone to do the same.

I have far more confidence in Apple, but don't like their style. Although the iPhone 6 solves one big problem - screen size, I find iOS boring. Having a dynamic user interface spoils you for static icons.

Finally, let's for the sake of arguement assume what you say is true; say that Microsoft announce that Windows 10 needed a Snapdragon XXX system on a chip. This would mean any device released before the 1520 would become obsolete with the release of W10.

Would this really be such a disaster? After all everyone with a 520, 720, etc would still have perfectly functioning devices and those with older models like my 920 are already going to miss out on certain features like DNLA. After almost two years, I feel that I've had excellent value out of my purchase.

The other reason it wouldn't be a disaster is also the simple truth that most people upgrade their phones every two years or so, so won't have to wait too long before they upgraded to a new device.

Of course, I'm in a privileged position, because today I decided to buy a new Lumia 930 and it's going to be ?160 cheaper than the 920 was. It's hard to argue when things are going so well. :)

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I guess that depends on our definition of "upgrade". Ultimately, it's the OP who must clarify whether having the developer preview as the only option would be "good enough".

IMHO trying to sell the developer preview as the equivalent of an update that is sanctioned by both OEM and carrier, and which also includes firmware, is not completely honest. It's workable, and certainly better than nothing, but the average Joe would probably feel deceived after being told he's 100% certain to get all updates, and then learn that the developer preview is the only way forward, particularly if Joe is used to iOS.

The fact that we had many people with developer preview related issues (particularly camera and battery related) also makes me somewhat reluctant to say both are equivalent.

The OS can be upgraded regardless the carrier, it is the firmware that can be upgraded only by the carrier.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I think Microsoft wants everyone to be on the latest OS possible, the dev prev program is a clear sign of its plans, if they are talking about surface RT being updated to windows 10 then I see no reason for excluding current windows 8 or 8.1 phones, as they are on par with the surface rt's performance, im pretty sure im getting w10 on my L928, not with all features of course, but im a bit more concerned about lumia firmware updates being blocked by carriers, Microsoft should start including it with their dev prev now that they own "lumias"

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it would be a silly concept to release an OS that is going to be one OS (Well almost) that runs on devices with screens from 4 inches to massive and then preclude all the devices that have small screens.

Do we really have to face a whole year of posts that are just speculation based on rubbish.

Bob

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The OS can be upgraded regardless the carrier, it is the firmware that can be upgraded only by the carrier.

You might want to mention what approach you're advocating for. It's not helpful to just say it's possible.

And again, many would consider what you appear to be advocating "false advertising". If someone asks if they will get future updates, they'll usually understand the answer "yes" to mean they'll get everything... not half or parts of it.

Last edited:

untitled007

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know many wp7 users were mad coz their phone were not upgraded to wp8, MS reasons, the Ce and NT thing, well, if wp8 will not be upgraded, whats the reason again, oh the hardware, well, im afraid that wp market share will go down again.

monkeysaintfun

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately, the WP community has yet to find a good response to this type of question. Most often a contradictory mess of non-information is all you'll get.

Often you'll be assured everyone will get the next update, but all you need do is look at the Lumia Icon forum to see how uncertain people really are of such assurances, particularly when it affects their own phone (Verizon has apparently EOL'ed the device).

I don't know what the best answer is either. Everyone with a WP8.0 device should get the W10 update, as MS and device OEMs expect carrier's to do that for their customers, it's just not guaranteed.

That is where Preview For Developers comes in, as the preview builds are usually the same as the release builds and avoid the stupid carrier nonsense.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
You might want to mention what approach you're advocating for. It's not helpful to just say it's possible.

And again, many would consider what you appear to be advocating "false advertising". If someone asks if they will get future updates, they'll usually understand the answer "yes" to mean they'll get everything... not half or parts of it.

No one can answer the OP question the way you want, at least no one on this forum. It is like asking "will be able to upgrade to 8.1 all the WP8 devices"? The answer is yes, with or without the DP, even if Cyan is not released (yet) for Lumia Icon.

And OP isn't asking that, he is asking if WP8.1 devices will be upgraded to W10, and you agree that only firmware is the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb