Cortana not listening to second command?

TKETZ196

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had this issue. I am on the Preview for Dev with a Lumia 820. I am using WP 8.1 Update (OS version 8.10.14176.243) and recently received the Cyan update from AT&T (and then another update was pushed through which I assume was one through the Preview for Dev program). Here is what I noticed: I ask Cortana to give me a list of restaurants, after the list pops up I ask her "is the third one open?" and she keeps coming back to "I'm sorry I didn't hear that". It worked before I got these updates and afterward it seems like it is broken. Does anyone else in the USA having the same issue? It also does this with any list of local store/restaurant/etc. results from Bing.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar issue with my Lumia 925 on T-Mobile. Cortana seemed to downgrade after I got a PVD update. Now she sounds funny, malfunctions and has no rhythm to her words. I never found a solution, sadly.

TKETZ196

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. I feel better knowing that it maybe a bug in the update and not my device. Are you on Cyan update too? Are you also on the same version ( or close) as ny my version mentioned above?

I was trying to find others with similar issues but only older threads. Cortana sounds fine, just that follow up questions related to a list of places that get displayed is my only issue. It isn't a huge deal but frustrated considering that I use that function often enough.

Is anyone else having similar issues?

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I didn't know she did followup questions. It's never worked for me but I'm in Oz. (alpha). This is something that really needs attention IMO.

TKETZ196

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Ok. Yeah, for the follow up questions, as an example, you can ask Cortana "what are the closest Chinese Restaurants?" Cortana replies "Here's a list of (# amount) of Chinese Restaurants near you." Then you can ask something like "Is the third one open?" Or you can ask "Can I have the ones with at least 4 stars?" The follow up questions, usually these as examples, will allow Cortana to parse through the results and filter them out, or look at the list and based on what you ask, gives deeper info on said result (in this case I asked for the third one being opened). Usually Cortana will do it but with this latest update it keeps returning the result saying "I'm sorry, I didn't get that." and then Cortana closes out. It is very frustrating seeing as this is one of the key differences between the other voice assistants. I use this often and annoying it isn't working. It works with some other stuff like when I ask "Who is the President of the USA?" And then I can ask "How old is he" or "where was he born" etc. and that works, just not the local search pont of interests results. You know what I mean?

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried this yesterday & she performed perfectly. Sounds strange you two have this problem. When was the last time you rebooted?

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I did the president thing with two follow up questions as stated above and worked with my two phones, one at 8.1 and another at 8.1.1 DP
Sent from my Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe

TKETZ196

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
That works, for trivia stuff. My main issue when it comes to the points of interests/list of places (for example closest restaurants, or grocery stores, or gas stations). When I ask for a follow up (is the second one open, lets say out of 10 local places search results), it yields the same thing. Almost as if Cortana isn't turning on the microphone, or if there's something back end that is broken, ir some serious bug in this latest Preview build. I cant figure it out. It worked perfectly before I updated. I didn't try it between when I received the Cyan update, and when the next Preview build update since the Preview was pushes through almost immediately after Cyan was installed.

TKETZ196

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
And I wanted to say I greatly appreciate this open dialogue. Like i said, trivia stuff works (I just asked Who is the CEO of Microsoft? Then, How Old is he? Then, Where was he born? All those follow ups worked with no problem. It leads me to think its this OS Preview build issue.

Captains

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
trivia stuff works (I just asked Who is the CEO of Microsoft? Then, How Old is he? Then, Where was he born? All those follow ups worked with no problem. It leads me to think its this OS Preview build issue.
Funny. I get none of that. I asked 'Who is the CEO of Microsoft?' I got a bing search. same goes for who is the President etc...
Cortana is Alpha for me BTW. Australia.

TKETZ196

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Ah, I see. Cortana launched as Beta in the USA. They will need to work faster in order to have Cortana truly compete with Google Now. Its already proven that Siri and Cortana are just about equal (also considering Bing is the backend search for Siri). I hope the bugs will get ironed out more. Do you think doing a hard reset could solve my issue? Or do you think the issue is stemming from an OS build bug?

soap1992

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
I've got this problem too on my Lumia 930 after i've updated to official WP 8.1.1........ I hope Lumia Denim will fix this issue......

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett