The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Before you start throwing rocks and stones at me, I just want to point out that I'm a hardcore Microsoft fan. I'm a WP and a windows 8.1 user and I absolutely love both of them.
    Now lets proceed. When Windows 10 was unveiled a week ago or so I was super excited at how it will be the same experience across phones, tablets and PCs. Now that's amazing. Now wait a second. If we take apple for instance, a lot of the criticism that the company receives is that the iPad is technically a bigger iPhone and doesn't add anything new to the mix.
    I just find it super hypocritical of Microsoft users to criticize Apple for delivering the same OS across its products when Microsoft already planned how they are going to unify all platforms into one across all devices.
    Don't get me wrong you guys, I really really wish that Microsoft surprises me with a unified yet different experience on their PCs and phones. They would otherwise be sugar coating how they intend on making the experience the same across all devices which is what Apple is really doing right now and criticized for it.
    What do you guys think ?
    Food For Thought
    10-18-2014 11:21 AM
    I just find it super hypocritical of Microsoft users to criticize Apple for delivering the same OS across its products
    Uhm.. as far as I know, a MacBook air does not have the same OS as an iPad or an iPhone.

I think that's what Microsoft wants to archieve. To give an homogeneous experience across all devices.
    aximtreo and xandros9 like this.
    10-18-2014 11:25 AM
    Also, same OS is fine. It's that the iPad is just a big iPhone with no real boost in power or productivity is the problem.
    Compiux likes this.
    10-18-2014 11:28 AM
    Nah, the way I see it is that 10 intends to adapt, something iOS hasn't done as much. (although it is a bit more than a big iPhone, but sometimes, that's all you need.)
    And for actual computers, Apple has OSX, and they've done great work bringing the two OSes together. Thinking Continuity (I think) and features adapted for OSX from iOS.

But eh, I see all sorts of these things all over the place. Apple pulling things that just won't fly if MS pulled it, Google getting a pass for turning proprietary and closed-source while trumpeting open-ness, etc etc.
    Muessig likes this.
    10-18-2014 01:23 PM
    Uhm.. as far as I know, a MacBook air does not have the same OS as an iPad or an iPhone.

I think that's what Microsoft wants to archieve. To give an homogeneous experience across all devices.
    This is pure marketing gimmick. In practice, no one wants a homogeneous experience That's why MS phones went from being #1 to being #3 in phones, or why MS tablets went from #1 to #3. Windows laptop sales year over year have been shrinking, while Apple computers have been increasing. Google's been increasing too.

In a laptop, physical keyboard / touchpad is important
    On a phone, you want neither
    On a tablet, the jury's still out. For sure, sales aren't in MS's favor though.

User's don't want a homogeneous experience. What users do want is a simplified experience to help them get what they want to do done.
    Azurus likes this.
    10-20-2014 06:04 AM
    This is pure marketing gimmick. In practice, no one wants a homogeneous experience That's why MS phones went from being #1 to being #3 in phones, or why MS tablets went from #1 to #3. Windows laptop sales year over year have been shrinking, while Apple computers have been increasing. Google's been increasing too.

User's don't want a homogeneous experience. What users do want is a simplified experience to help them get what they want to do done.
    Says you. Please don't speak for everyone.
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-20-2014 06:17 AM

I believe that this is not only possible but probable. Processors are getting more powerful with less power needed so I think this will indeed happen in the next 3 - 6 years. And yes, I would really like a seamless OS that talks between not only my phone, my tablet, my PC but anything else that comes down the road that makes sense.
    Guytronic likes this.
    10-20-2014 08:00 AM
    Well it will be the same OS not the same experience as Windows 10 phones wont have desktop access and will likely have a different interface (a part from the tablet desktop) all together....its the OS that will "transform" on any device...
    10-20-2014 08:10 AM
    Well, maybe people is not screaming for an homogeneous experience, but it would certainly provide a simplified experience on all devices... if done right, of course.
    A simple way to see it is how you can share settings between all your instances of internet explorer :) I imagine that you will be able to share information and settings among devices more easily and the use will be simplified because if you know how to use one, you most probably know how to use the other.
    I've seen my parents struggle with their phones because they're so different than to what they are used to work with that I see this "homogeneus experience" as an implicit advantage.

Maybe the best word to describe this is not "homogeneous" but that was the first word that came to my mind hehe :P
    10-20-2014 12:23 PM
    Here to second this.
    It can be great if done right.
    Guytronic and jmshub like this.
    10-20-2014 04:54 PM
    You're not getting it. Microsoft criticizes Apple for the tablet being a big iPhone, instead of a mini laptop, for running iOS instead of OS X. Microsoft is working on making ONE operating system that adapts to the device it's on. It's completely different to what Apple's doing.
    Xabier Granja likes this.
    10-20-2014 05:13 PM
    I think this is going to be much better on the business side of things. With one platform, from servers to phones, it will greatly simplify the job of IT admins. It will also, hopefully, accelerate the growth of Windows' phone market.
    Wishful thinking perhaps. But I can hope, right?
    10-20-2014 05:35 PM
    Before you start throwing rocks and stones at me, I just want to point out that I'm a hardcore Microsoft fan. I'm a WP and a windows 8.1 user and I absolutely love both of them.
    Now lets proceed. When Windows 10 was unveiled a week ago or so I was super excited at how it will be the same experience across phones, tablets and PCs. Now that's amazing. Now wait a second. If we take apple for instance, a lot of the criticism that the company receives is that the iPad is technically a bigger iPhone and doesn't add anything new to the mix.
    I just find it super hypocritical of Microsoft users to criticize Apple for delivering the same OS across its products when Microsoft already planned how they are going to unify all platforms into one across all devices.
    Don't get me wrong you guys, I really really wish that Microsoft surprises me with a unified yet different experience on their PCs and phones. They would otherwise be sugar coating how they intend on making the experience the same across all devices which is what Apple is really doing right now and criticized for it.
    What do you guys think ?
    Food For Thought
    I think you've completely made up a weird scenario that doesn't happen. Microsoft hasn't combined the OS across all devices, they have a shared kernel and APIs and will thus share an app store. I've also never in my life heard criticism that Apple is unifying everything under one OS, mainly because they're not. While they may change course sooner or later, they've said multiple times that one OS for everything is a terrible idea (e.g. Refrigerator and toaster jokes). If anything, I've heard people wish they could have the level of communication between phone and computer that Apple has.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-20-2014 06:07 PM

Yes I know we can not speak for everyone, but the use cases of each device is different, I am a Surface RT user, I use it like a laptop (Hybrid just as Microsoft designed it, review their user guides for examples), It can be a tablet most of the time, but when I want to use Office, it is like a laptop. I want this from my Laptop/Tablet, I do not want this on a Phone... I do not want this on a Laptop (non-touch), I do not want this on a server, I do not want this on a Desktop (non-touch), I do not want this on my gaming (xbox), I do not want this on my TV, I do not want this on my watch. I get the Microsoft one Windows, one version to rule them all, but each device has their own use cases, and different sizes of screen/input, I think this is more then any one OS can handle...

Kind of reminds me of the old Microsoft Works (version 3), one app to try to do it all, guess what it did not work, That is why Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc... are all separate apps, they have different use cases, and some want all Office Apps, some just want one?
    10-21-2014 12:53 PM
    The two aren't mutually exclusive. Even if the Windows 10 experience is homogeneous (which by most accounts, it won't be) it certainly would be simplified due to its homogeneity.
    10-21-2014 01:17 PM
    I think users want a great user experience, they aren't thinking about the core operating system while they are playing a game or trying to get some work done, etc. The gripe with the Apple system is that the tablet uses the intentionally limited operating environment, iOS, instead of being based on OSX, which is what Microsoft was thinking then they brought Windows down to tablets instead of Windows Phone up. The difference is the functionality that is built in. iPads can print only using printers that support Apple's AirPrint functionality. Any Windows tablet can print to nearly any printer in the world, at least any that has standard Windows drivers.

While we don't know a lot about Windows 10 yet, I don't think this means that an app running on a 30 inch desktop computer with a mouse and keyboard will look the same as it will on a 4" phone. I think a unified operating system will still look different as the UI will be optimized for each experience.
    10-21-2014 01:52 PM
    Android looks the same on phone as well as tablet but I dont think the UI will come very close together tbh... I think there enough to differentiate them and im cool with it. Lets just see what happens.
    Compiux likes this.
    10-23-2014 01:09 PM
    Have I missed something. Who has been criticizing Apple for delivering the same OS across multiple devices? Anyone who was should check the latest sales numbers. MS can only wish to have the sales Apple has. Who cares if they use the same OS?
    10-23-2014 04:47 PM

I actually disagree with your statement here. Of course you can't lump all users together but I believe most consumers of electronics base their decisions on emotions rather then experience or usability. For proof look at the success of Apple. I'm not saying Apple products are not usable or that they do no provide a good experience. I'm sure they do but the same can be said about Microsoft's and Android's products. Even so they are not as popular in the US. The reason is Apple products satisfy some ephemeral "WOW " factor that others do not.
    10-23-2014 05:01 PM
    Have I missed something. Who has been criticizing Apple for delivering the same OS across multiple devices? Anyone who was should check the latest sales numbers. MS can only wish to have the sales Apple has. Who cares if they use the same OS?
    I agree with you that Apple sales are not to be questioned. But if you look at iPad sales individually , you'll see that it hit a plateau where its not increasing anymore and actually started falling. That's mainly because people started realizing how the iPad doesn't deliver anything new. Its an iPhone on steroids.
    10-25-2014 07:51 PM
    Just give it time!!!
    10-26-2014 12:52 AM
    Microsoft is TIRED, they want to stop rewriting the wheels, Windows 10 will run on everything is basically saying Microsoft wants a unified backbone so that MS focuses on experience on top of that, instead of the nightmare its been living in all these years, just imagine the useless wasted hours writing up help for new or old software, imagine the thousand of hours wasted into teaching developers new approaches to the same damn thing.
    We want 1 experience YES, but the truth is the backbone of the internet isn't ready for it, there're too many variables among too many users to achieve a system that can pick up where you left off not just you but millions of millions across many languages and on millions of different hardware.
    10-26-2014 10:01 PM
    I agree with you that Apple sales are not to be questioned. But if you look at iPad sales individually , you'll see that it hit a plateau where its not increasing anymore and actually started falling. That's mainly because people started realizing how the iPad doesn't deliver anything new. Its an iPhone on steroids.
    To be fair, I think the sales aren't growing because the upgrade cycles are much longer. Its still the most successful tablet, their competitors aren't even close in terms of sales.

People upgrade their phones often because their contracts allow for it, whereas with the newer iPads there is little incentive to do so as the older iPads people have are already so good.
    10-27-2014 04:14 AM
    I dont think WP users mock the visual homogeneity as much as the internal differences. An iPad brings nothing more to an iPhone other than a larger screen. Windows 10 will bring PC level functionality to phones...well as far as we know it will.
    Apple is far from homogeneous. Microsoft is working on a truly homogeneous OS. This OS is coming from the top down instead of the bottom up. Imagine a phone you can connect to a docking station (like a Surface Pro tablet) and get a full fledged computer. That is the end goal. Mobile CPU's are getting fairly close to handling that heavy of an OS. Well at least to atom cpu performance not gaming performance. Microsoft will be ready for that day. Instead of being years behind like they were with Windows Phone 7, they will be the innovators. Apple in the meantime will try to convince everyone that their workaround version that only syncs notifications and phone messages between phone and computer is all you need in life.
    I can't wait for the time when I only need small docking stations and screens around my house that I can connect my phone to. Better yet, I can just connect my phone via bluetooth and my house is a giant PC with a home phone system integrated. Not a single laptop or desktop anywhere. Isn't that what Bill Gates house is like now?
    Last edited by muneshyne21; 10-28-2014 at 05:27 PM.
    10-28-2014 05:16 PM
    I dont think WP users mock the visual homogeneity as much as the internal differences. An iPad brings nothing more to an iPhone other than a larger screen. Windows 10 will bring PC level functionality to phones...well as far as we know it will.
    Apple is far from homogeneous. Microsoft is working on a truly homogeneous OS. This OS is coming from the top down instead of the bottom up. Imagine a phone you can connect to a docking station (like a Surface Pro tablet) and get a full fledged computer. That is the end goal. Mobile CPU's are getting fairly close to handling that heavy of an OS. Well at least to atom cpu performance not gaming performance. Microsoft will be ready for that day. Instead of being years behind like they were with Windows Phone 7, they will be the innovators. Apple in the meantime will try to convince everyone that their workaround version that only syncs notifications and phone messages between phone and computer is all you need in life.
    I can't wait for the time when I only need small docking stations and screens around my house that I can connect my phone to. Better yet, I can just connect my phone via bluetooth and my house is a giant PC with a home phone system integrated. Not a single laptop or desktop anywhere. Isn't that what Bill Gates house is like now?
    And that, sir, I hope is the new windows. I hope that is the new Microsoft. Would love to have something like that at home. Currently I'm using WP plus W8.1 Asus transformer plus w7 desktop but as far as I can see, I need the "homogeneity" across devices. I miss W8 on desktop. Not in UI but in UX. The thing Microsoft is trying to achieve by WX. And I hope they will. And if they will, and won't mess up current WP devices, I'm in.
    Last edited by IgorVysoky; 10-28-2014 at 05:51 PM.
    10-28-2014 05:39 PM