Can I have Here Drive make a normal announcement over the normal media connections rather than use Cortana?

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Cortana + Here Drive

Ok, so I'm using Windows Phone again as my daily driver and everything is marvelous except one thing. Whenever I'm using Here Drive and it plays any navigation instruction, it uses the "Call Cortana" feature for bluetooth to make the announcement (IE, instead of just playing it over the media connection like it does for notifications/music/etc). It's not really a problem I guess, but it's quite annoying if I'm playing music because it's a rather abrupt interruption and it takes a couple seconds to make the transition. I've tried turning Cortana off and it still happens... Does anyone know if it's possible to have Here drive just do a normal announcement over the normal media connection rather then use call Cortana?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cortana + Here Drive

I wonder if this is a BT/Cortana issue or just the way the app handles announcements in general. I used HERE Drive last night and noticed that turn by turn announcements will just interrupt my music or podcast rather than playing on top of it. In comparison, Waze will keep the music playing but kind of turn it down and just talk over it. You might just test Waze or CoPilot or another nav app to see what happens.

Dustmills

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

I wonder if this is a BT/Cortana issue or just the way the app handles announcements in general. I used HERE Drive last night and noticed that turn by turn announcements will just interrupt my music or podcast rather than playing on top of it. In comparison, Waze will keep the music playing but kind of turn it down and just talk over it. You might just test Waze or CoPilot or another nav app to see what happens.

Yeah, that's exactly the behavior I'm looking for. I guess for now Waze will be my solution.

Thanks!

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

Another issue I have is that initial part of the instructions is cut off all the time while playing over BT: "... miles take the exit."

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

I find the announcements excessively loud in relation to the music playback. Cant seem to find an option to set the voice down.

Its so loud that I don't even want to use the app anymore.

Waze on the other hand always has issues with losing gps.

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

While hearing the announcement, try lowering the volume through your car's system. AFAIK, there are separate volume controls for Cortana and music.

vc-10

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've found that in the current system I have in my car, it just mutes whenever she tries and speak, but I think that's the car not Cortana! I do agree that it's very abrupt. When I've tried in my mum's car, it all works fine. Shame it can't work just with an audio stream, but ah well.

senthil gnanasekhar

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site

There is a thread called "Heredrive and 8.1" where this issue is discussed in detail. I have tried Here drive and copilot and have the same issue but waze works correctly. Also out does not happen on all models of cars as well. You can check the other thread

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

It's still amazing that they don't fix this. Garmin does this flawlessly, I wonder how their code is different.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site

While hearing the announcement, try lowering the volume through your car's system. AFAIK, there are separate volume controls for Cortana and music.

Thanks, that worked (and now I feel stupid for not figuring it out initially by myself) ;-)

Not working great though, the volume still seems to pop loudly with each announcement and then the volume lowers to the preset level. Its quite irritating, hope they fix it.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234