Unreasonable rants again from WP owners

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Windows Central posted a rumour that Cortana may be heading to other mobile OSes. I looked eventually at the comments section just to see a barrage of rants.

First of all, Satya Nadella has stated in public that Microsoft will be focusing first on its mobile and cloud SERVICES. That's why a lot of apps like Office 365 come to Android and iOS.

Second, these apps are not as feature-rich as their WP counterpart. There are a lot of restrictions for the free Office 365 in Android and iOS. Android and iOS users should expect the same treatment for Cortana.

Third, remember that not all Windows desktop users have WP as their mobile OS preference. In fact, WP is even a minority compared to the other two. So Microsoft's expansion will only be natural.

I, for one, use Firefox and IE as a desktop browser and Bing as my default search engine. Having a secondary Android phone (my daily driver is still a Lumia), I ditched Google's services (except for Google+, YouTube and Gmail) and downloaded Firefox, Bing (which is integrated with IE) and Outlook. And my contacts are stored by default on Outlook.

See, even though I have an Android phone, the impact of Microsoft's services in my life is still big. In our country where Chromebooks are highly disregarded, Microsoft's strategy may eventually be effective but in a slow manner.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937) using Tapatalk

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
For me Cortana isnt just an app that can be created and given to everyone. It may sound impossible but its one of the biggest reasons they envy my Lumia 920 (apart from stability and camera). She has characte, depth and personality. I think its one of the strongest cards that can bring buyers.

I don't have a problem for Microsoft to give office, cloud and these services as they are widely used by people. And truthfully i think it great.

As long as I can remember I didn't bi.tch about some acts of MS, but I will be dissatisfied if they do this. Why the reason to buy a phone that offer fewer, and all its uniqueness is given to the others? Apart from they modern style which I adore there won't be a real, solid reason. Eventually I will stick to my L920 until it dies (hopefully It wont).

BUT this decision will profit economically MS's revenue, in expense of their WP.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Windows Central posted a rumour that Cortana may be heading to other mobile OSes. .

Second, these apps are not as feature-rich as their WP counterpart. There are a lot of restrictions for the free Office 365 in Android and iOS. Android and iOS users should expect the same treatment for Cortana.

You really really beleive that with your second point? You do realise that we have a worse office app then iphone right as they have more features. Microsoft spends more on other platforms then its own.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
You really really beleive that with your second point? You do realise that we have a worse office app then iphone right as they have more features. Microsoft spends more on other platforms then its own.

Yes, isn't it? There are a lot of restrictions for the iOS and Android Office app unless you buy it.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
For me Cortana isnt just an app that can be created and given to everyone. It may sound impossible but its one of the biggest reasons they envy my Lumia 920 (apart from stability and camera). She has characte, depth and personality. I think its one of the strongest cards that can bring buyers.

I don't have a problem for Microsoft to give office, cloud and these services as they are widely used by people. And truthfully i think it great.

As long as I can remember I didn't bi.tch about some acts of MS, but I will be dissatisfied if they do this. Why the reason to buy a phone that offer fewer, and all its uniqueness is given to the others? Apart from they modern style which I adore there won't be a real, solid reason. Eventually I will stick to my L920 until it dies (hopefully It wont).

BUT this decision will profit economically MS's revenue, in expense of their WP.

If you want, you can switch to an Android or iPhone if that brings you satisfaction. You can still support MS on other mobile platforms.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, isn't it? There are a lot of restrictions for the iOS and Android Office app unless you buy it.

There are no restrictions, the apps are completely free, with updated functionality and you can edit documents without an office 365 subscription.

If you want, you can switch to an Android or iPhone if that brings you satisfaction. You can still support MS on other mobile platforms.

Maybe you don't get it. This is not about blindly supporting Microsoft services wherever they are, its about getting a satisfactory experience with the platform we like, which is WP, which happens to be from Microsoft, and which happens to have the worst versions of Microsoft services.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
There are no restrictions, the apps are completely free, with updated functionality and you can edit documents without an office 365 subscription.

Maybe you don't get it. This is not about blindly supporting Microsoft services wherever they are, its about getting a satisfactory experience with the platform we like, which is WP, which happens to be from Microsoft, and which happens to have the worst versions of Microsoft services.

Why, I have no complaints with how MSoft is doing with WP, especially with the Lumia Denim and Windows 10 update. I can use the Office 365 app efficiently on my phone (i.e. I use Excel to keep tabs of my bank withdrawals).

Look at how Android and iOS users embraced the Office 365 announcement joyously. MSoft is doing what Google should have been doing (the "Don't Do Evil" motto).

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Why, I have no complaints with how MSoft is doing with WP, especially with the Lumia Denim and Windows 10 update. I can use the Office 365 app efficiently on my phone (i.e. I use Excel to keep tabs of my bank withdrawals).

Look at how Android and iOS users embraced the Office 365 announcement joyously. MSoft is doing what Google should have been doing (the "Don't Do Evil" motto).
There's more features available (without the subscription) in the ios version of office than the windows phone version. the WP office hasn't changed at all since WP7 4 years ago....it was pretty crap then and its still pretty crap now. I was actually kind of excited to use it back when I got my windows phone 7 but realized you couldn't really do much of anything in it and nothing looked right. I loaded up my resume and it looked nothing like it did on my desktop office.

Microsoft's own Office apps much better on iPhone than Windows Phone 8
And apparently we have to wait until windows 10 NEXT YEAR, 6 MONTHS FROM NOW to get a proper touch based office that isn't half baked like the one in windows phone.
Office, onedrive, Skype. Those are fine as multiplatform apps, they've always been multiplatform.
The issue we have is that we get the crappiest versions of them (I believe the onedrive app is probably the most consistent among the 3 OS's).
And I don't understand them wanting to put Cortana everywhere.....Apple isn't giving away Siri to google or windows, Google voice isn't going anywhere....and they're going to get Cortana? really?
They might as well just pull a Sega, write off all their hardware and just go forward with just software.

Kunal Dudwadkar

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Cortana is like the pride of my phone, of course there are other features too. But Cortana is the one thing i flaunt amongst my droid friends and they are like wow i want it too and now they simply get it? Whats the point. At least there should be something exclusive to the Lumia lineup.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Windows Central posted a rumour that Cortana may be heading to other mobile OSes. I looked eventually at the comments section just to see a barrage of rants.

First of all, Satya Nadella has stated in public that Microsoft will be focusing first on its mobile and cloud SERVICES. That's why a lot of apps like Office 365 come to Android and iOS.

Third, remember that not all Windows desktop users have WP as their mobile OS preference. In fact, WP is even a minority compared to the other two. So Microsoft's expansion will only be natural.

I, for one, use Firefox and IE as a desktop browser and Bing as my default search engine. Having a secondary Android phone (my daily driver is still a Lumia), I ditched Google's services (except for Google+, YouTube and Gmail) and downloaded Firefox, Bing (which is integrated with IE) and Outlook. And my contacts are stored by default on Outlook.

See, even though I have an Android phone, the impact of Microsoft's services in my life is still big. In our country where Chromebooks are highly disregarded, Microsoft's strategy may eventually be effective but in a slow manner.

So let me get this straight, you're ranting about people ranting about something perfectly valid?

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
We honestly can't change or slow whatever direction/steps/choices MS makes with regard to WP. Honestly the ONLY thing is when they sell out to IOS and Android with their "can't beat them join them philosophy" we the loyal WP users will then obviously move on elsewhere giving MS exactly what they want yet not wanted. They only thing for MS to understand how we feel about their actions is to make a statement whether it be in person or via the WWW!!

HelloLudger

Jul 5, 2014
Visit site
the WP office hasn't changed at all since WP7 4 years ago....

Jup. Nailed it. Put the calendar and the email app to that list. (ok, at least the calendar changed... Not everything was an improvement, but at least they did SOMETHING)

And apparently we have to wait until windows 10 NEXT YEAR, 6 MONTHS FROM NOW to get a proper touch based office that isn't half baked like the one in windows phone.

6 months? I would say that is optimistic. I read 10/10/15 as possible launch date. Build is over 5 months away and I would not hold hold my breath for getting a PREVIEW earlier than this.
Oh, and at the moment we can't be sure that we can update our phones to 10.

hidayat225

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
We honestly can't change or slow whatever direction/steps/choices MS makes with regard to WP. Honestly the ONLY thing is when they sell out to IOS and Android with their "can't beat them join them philosophy" we the loyal WP users will then obviously move on elsewhere giving MS exactly what they want yet not wanted. They only thing for MS to understand how we feel about their actions is to make a statement whether it be in person or via the WWW!!

I honestly think we do have a chance. They did a bad move with Xbox One's announcement and got what they deserved. Bad press = bad sales. If they pulled of this again with Cortana, I hope the press would be all over criticising how Microsoft is ditching WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077