Location settings for reminders

peeryus

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for the great forum.

I have some questions:
1. I know Location has to be switched on to talk to Cortana. Is there a plan to possibly talk to Cortana with Location switched off? Like how Google Now does?

2. When setting a reminder via Cortana, does Location have to be switched on in order to get the reminder? I've noticed that I don't get the reminder if Location is switched off.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

peeryus

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Basically for Cortana (and most things these days on a phone) to work you need Location switched on
That's disappointing. Google Now doesn't work like this. Is there any intention to make Cortana work with Location switched off?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
That's disappointing. Google Now doesn't work like this. Is there any intention to make Cortana work with Location switched off?

Sent from my non-WP using Tapatalk
I suspect its a good move on MS part. Some things Cortana does can not be done without location and that list is expanding all the time. I wouldn't want to have to think about when I need her to do those things or even keep track of what functions need location and turn it on and off accordingly. If I only wanted Cortana to do what Google does, it might be okay but the whole point of an assistant is to make your life easier not adding things you need to keep track of and turn on and off.

peeryus

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I suspect its a good move on MS part. Some things Cortana does can not be done without location and that list is expanding all the time. I wouldn't want to have to think about when I need her to do those things or even keep track of what functions need location and turn it on and off accordingly. If I only wanted Cortana to do what Google does, it might be okay but the whole point of an assistant is to make your life easier not adding things you need to keep track of and turn on and off.
Exactly. I can't understand why Cortana needs Location....

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Exactly. I can't understand why Cortana needs Location...
Okay. You didn't say that before. There is an example or two in this:

And I like Cortana's jokes. Would not do for her to ask "how many Hell's Angels does it take to screw in a light-bulb" when I'm at the biker bar.

Last edited:

peeryus

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I understand the location-based reminders. What I don't understand is why Cortana needs location to remind you even if it isn't a location-based reminder.

Edit: I see Cortana can successfully trigger an alarm with having location switched off but can't do any other tasks. Just told her to remind me to congratulate someone the next time I speak to them and I didn't get the reminder (Location was switched off)

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I understand the location-based reminders. What I don't understand is why Cortana needs location to remind you even if it isn't a location-based reminder.
Please explain how Cortana could tell you to turn location back on when she needs it.

Until you or anyone else can, it comes down to having to remember to turn it on and off as needed which kind of defeats the purpose. In the example in the ad, if I could remember to turn on location when I got near a flower store, I could just as easily remember to buy the flowers.

peeryus

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Please explain how Cortana could tell you to turn location back on when she needs it.

Until you or anyone else can, it comes down to having to remember to turn it on and off as needed which kind of defeats the purpose. In the example in the ad, if I could remember to turn on location when I got near a flower store, I could just as easily remember to buy the flowers.

No no that's not what I'm saying. I'm trying to say exactly what you're saying ie it's pretty pointless to manually switch on Location. If that's the case I'll remember to do the task myself

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks HD. So any idea if MS is looking at correcting this?

I don't know. I think it would be a mistake to have Cortana with location and Cortana without location.

I understand not wanting to have location on if its not needed just as I understand not wanting back seats in a car when there aren't any passengers. I don't see either as a "problem".

If you do, you should tell MS. If enough feel the same, maybe they will do something. There is no right or wrong with things like this, just what works for the customer and what sells.

peeryus

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I think I understand why Location needs to be on - it's probably for location-based reminders. Eg. Reminding you to buy bread when you're at the store.

I just figured that to get around this say "add an event to my calendar from time A to time B"

Hope it helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12