Microsoft holding off flagships for Broxton?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Intel: Are the Times Changing? - GuruFocus.com

From what I can gather, it would appear that Intel's Broxton projected launch date coincides with that of Microsoft's Windows 10.

1095245-1392438408144273-Ashraf-Eassa_origin.png

Microsoft is aiming to make a unified experienced across all form factors in Windows 10, and they have not announced a new flagship .. Wouldn't an Intel based Lumia flagship be fitting?

Furthermore, Microsoft has not been putting enough guns on their ARM platforms. Take Verizon and T-Mobile as examples (spare me the hate please, it is mostly Microsoft's fault) ... Though Win RT is a great platform, demand is quite low ...

Does convergence mean Microsoft will be phasing out ARM support in favor of Intel x86-64? Even the cheapest tablets are running W8.1 + Baytrail, and they are far superior at their competing price points.

Have not thought this through entirely, so feel free to reply with death threats, etc :grincry:

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
If you mean flagship phone, no I think they will stay ARM.

Windows Phone has been virtually using Qualcomm exclusively. The entire Windows Phone app store would need to be recompiled to work on x86.

What benefits would this bring? Having x86 support on tablets 8" and smaller is pretty worthless as the desktop elements are too small to manipulate. Dockable phones have failed multiple times. Security wise you could make a better argument for ARM as well.

So, no, I think W10 phones will remain ARM, likely Qualcomm.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone has been virtually using Qualcomm exclusively. The entire Windows Phone app store would need to be recompiled to work on x86.

This is incorrect. The vast majority of apps in the app store would run unaltered on an x86 based smartphone. Only the native apps, which are few and far between, would require recompilation (mostly games).

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Intel: Are the Times Changing? - GuruFocus.com

From what I can gather, it would appear that Intel's Broxton projected launch date coincides with that of Microsoft's Windows 10.

View attachment 88737

Microsoft is aiming to make a unified experienced across all form factors in Windows 10, and they have not announced a new flagship .. Wouldn't an Intel based Lumia flagship be fitting?

Furthermore, Microsoft has not been putting enough guns on their ARM platforms. Take Verizon and T-Mobile as examples (spare me the hate please, it is mostly Microsoft's fault) ... Though Win RT is a great platform, demand is quite low ...

Does convergence mean Microsoft will be phasing out ARM support in favor of Intel x86-64? Even the cheapest tablets are running W8.1 + Baytrail, and they are far superior at their competing price points.

Have not thought this through entirely, so feel free to reply with death threats, etc :grincry:

Nope, ARM is here to stay according to the Windows team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit