12-16-2014 08:39 PM
80 1234
tools
    EDITED to remove rant.

I can honestly say I hate android with a passion, I had a tablet last year that was crap. My tablet is now an iPad air 2. Only cause I couldn't afford the surface 3. I have a Lumia phone right now, have since last year.

I've always promoted windows phone to anyone who asks my advice. If anything I tell people that if not windows then apple but never android.

And yes I did move banks. Where I live they are within a few mins walk of each other, interest rates on current accounts are crap and Barclays have customer service in the UK unlike HSBC. And the Barclays app is very good.

G.
    Last edited by gMaesterUK; 12-14-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    12-13-2014 01:30 PM
    So lets see I have Mortgages, Loans and numerous accounts with HSBC and a 30 year relationship so probably not going to change my bank...
    12-13-2014 02:21 PM
    RichardBurt I think you need to reread the whole post, at no point have I said android apps should be on windows, in fact I argued the opposite. I even had a post about the technical side.

I can honestly say I hate android with a passion, I had a tablet last year that was crap. My tablet is now an iPad air 2. Only cause I couldn't afford the surface 3. I have a Lumia phone right now, have since last year.

I've always promoted windows phone to anyone who asks my advice. If anything I tell people that if not windows then apple but never android.

And yes I did move banks. Where I live they are within a few mins walk of each other, interest rates on current accounts are crap and Barclays have customer service in the UK unlike HSBC. And the Barclays app is very good.

I can only assume you were too quick to type without reading the facts.

G.
    So sorry gMaesterUK, I misread your name for the OP's.

Please accept my apologies.
    xandros9 and gMaesterUK like this.
    12-13-2014 03:26 PM
    Sure. Brilliant idea. Let's dump this BS: android-gmail-app-1.jpg
    onto here: 57261d1392661222t-mail-dark-inboxes.jpg
    Doesn't it go well together?

Seriously, strap this idea on a rocket to the sun.
    neo158, a5cent, sumton and 2 others like this.
    12-13-2014 03:33 PM
    Sure. Brilliant idea. Let's dump this BS:
    Next time you search the internet for what something looks like on Android, make sure the image you select isn't old as dirt.

This is what Gmail looks like, right now.

aveese and N_LaRUE like this.
    12-13-2014 04:09 PM
    Next time you search the internet for what something looks like on Android, make sure the image you select isn't old as dirt.

http://i.imgur.com/9wBr8iQ.jpg http://i.imgur.com/E9pZX1y.jpg
    Makes no difference to me, why would anyone want Android apps on WP?
    sumton, KhawarNadeem and xandros9 like this.
    12-13-2014 04:13 PM

http://i.imgur.com/9wBr8iQ.jpg http://i.imgur.com/E9pZX1y.jpg
    Doesn't change the fact that it's a completely different philosophy, and they still wouldn't go well together.
    a5cent, sumton and neo158 like this.
    12-13-2014 04:30 PM
    Ask BlackBerry how Android compatibility has helped their business.
    Has allowing Android apps saved Blackberry? It wouldn't be any different for Windows Phone, in my opinion.
    while i do agree that apks support on windows phone should never happen,
    i must say blackberry didnt fail because of android,in fact its a great feature given that BB10 lacks alot of apps which even the wp store has
    blackberry failed because they didnt adapt in time
    windows phone just got lucky in the nick of time and thanks to microsofts money and os and nokias creativeness and quality of hardware and exclusive apps,they are still a very viable option
    im not saying BB10 is bad ,i love my Z30 and my Lumia 1520 both equally
    but im starting to think its too late for blackberry unless they decide to pull a xiaomi and release dirt cheap phones for the config and that way their revenue goes up
    12-13-2014 07:23 PM
    If Blackberry had acted before their customers jumped ship with a good android app support and kept a good keyboard design I would probably still be using one myself for work. Most people I work with selected Iphone over Blackberry as a company phone about 3 years ago.. They were basically too slow

Even if you combine Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 APP its still not a great selection and not enough to attract or keep people on the Windows Platform. I don`t love Android or IOS but love the APP selection.............. Even something like getting an APP to lock my Gallery, my Messages or my Email is something I cannot do on Windows Phone..If I want to shop at a Store or Restaurant the APP will be there for it.. I so want that on Windows Phone.. If Microsoft give priority to other OSes why should developers bother with Windows it`s concerning to me..

Maybe Microsoft was arrogant and basically chose the APPLE model locking everying down and thinking developers would flock to them when they should have been more open and chose the GOOGLE model which would have been a more natural progression from Windows Mobile anyway.

This sums it up for me 100% we been waiting 5 years and people are feeling things are not going to improve without something totally different. In my view Microsoft do not care any more about Windows Phone users than the do about APPLE or ANDROID users and in fact evidence is showing they care more about them!!
    i nearly completely agree with you except when you said WP is locked down
    i think its not locked down,its simply well balanced
    see ,ios is too locked down and limited which often drives people away
    android is too open and suffers from fragmentation,malware,poor performance etc
    windows phone sits right in between ,it has no major issues
    its both kinda open ,kinda closed, just right enough to give a great experience and no malware at the same time
    TechAbstract and prasath1234 like this.
    12-13-2014 07:31 PM
    The thing is running apk on WP will be extremely slower than xap or appx one. I think there is no point having good apps if they run slowly lack of stability.

Don't worry about it. Next version of visual studio is an Android and WP IDE in my opinion since they work on same IDE it should make a huge jump on WP apps
    tanya shah1 and xandros9 like this.
    12-13-2014 07:35 PM
    while i do agree that apks support on windows phone should never happen,
    i must say blackberry didnt fail because of android,in fact its a great feature given that BB10 lacks alot of apps which even the wp store has
    blackberry failed because they didnt adapt in time
    windows phone just got lucky in the nick of time and thanks to microsofts money and os and nokias creativeness and quality of hardware and exclusive apps,they are still a very viable option
    im not saying BB10 is bad ,i love my Z30 and my Lumia 1520 both equally
    but im starting to think its too late for blackberry unless they decide to pull a xiaomi and release dirt cheap phones for the config and that way their revenue goes up
    I'm not saying they died because of it, just that it hasn't been the saving grace that some people seem to think it is. It is kind of like when some people say that Microsoft should just make an Android phone or that Nokia should have. This idea that all things Android make money is a wrong one.
    12-13-2014 09:24 PM
    Stop whining about that Android apps thing. I'm getting sick of it.

First: A mixture of Android apps and Windows Phone apps will turn your damn phone into a mess. Want a Start Screen with icons? Go forth, buy an Android, we prefer Start Screens with tiles.

Second: If Windows Phone supports Android apps, who will even bother making native apps for the ecosystem? Also, compatibility, compatibility, COMPATIBILITY.

Third: Wow, now you want to have some viruses, some malwares, some trash apps to get in our Store? Nah.

And fourth: Forgot BlackBerry?

So, please, stop this Android thing. I'd prefer Windows Phone to be a separate OS, with a separate Store and separate apps.
    12-13-2014 09:24 PM
    Nope, Windows doesn't need access to no damn android to be successful, more persons just ought to try Windows on a mobile device,be shown the features compared to android and ios and that should work, many people bash Windows without even using it and know what it brings to the table.I've shown many my Lumia 1020 and many switch to Lumias not because of Lumia better camera punch but the many other great features and smoothness of the OS. The damn sales reps in shops also gotta use Windows and push it!
    k72, maclancer, xandros9 and 5 others like this.
    12-13-2014 09:52 PM
    No just NO
    ronaldme likes this.
    12-14-2014 02:00 AM
    I'm not saying they died because of it, just that it hasn't been the saving grace that some people seem to think it is. It is kind of like when some people say that Microsoft should just make an Android phone or that Nokia should have. This idea that all things Android make money is a wrong one.
    yep i totally agree with this analogy
    my entire family had windows phones till my brother and dad decided to get the nexus 5 for themselves
    now they regret it and want a windows phone again
    all our friends etc keep acting like android or ios is the best thing ever and this often confuses my dad but my mom is pretty adament that windows phone is the best phone os,its simple to operate,has no complications etc and runs smooth

Stop whining about that Android apps thing. I'm getting sick of it.

First: A mixture of Android apps and Windows Phone apps will turn your damn phone into a mess. Want a Start Screen with icons? Go forth, buy an Android, we prefer Start Screens with tiles.

Second: If Windows Phone supports Android apps, who will even bother making native apps for the ecosystem? Also, compatibility, compatibility, COMPATIBILITY.

Third: Wow, now you want to have some viruses, some malwares, some trash apps to get in our Store? Nah.

And fourth: Forgot BlackBerry?

So, please, stop this Android thing. I'd prefer Windows Phone to be a separate OS, with a separate Store and separate apps.
    yeah folks who want to turn windows phone into another android can buy an android instead of trying to ruin the windows phone experience
    all we need now is apps ,more bells and whistles like USB OTG and a few more things imho and ofcourse bugfixes
    Last edited by Guytronic; 12-15-2014 at 09:56 PM.
    prasath1234 and ronaldme like this.
    12-14-2014 02:08 AM
    I think being part of Windows 10 will ensure the OS features for Phones and Tablet devices will be on par with Android and IOS but unless people can get the APPS they want the lack of ecosystem will prevent growth above 5-10% worldwide... Windows has to find a way of running Android APPS!!

I recently upgraded from my Nokia 1020 to a Samsung Note 4 and while I miss many things about Windows Phone the number Apps and the quality is way beyond what is offered on Windows Phone. As a number of people have said even Microsoft Apps are better on Android.

If Microsoft had a store that supplied Android APPS as well as Windows Apps they could potentially get revenue from full Android devices using the Microsoft store in the same way I have the Amazon APP Store on my Note 4 in addition to the Google Play Store.

I don`t think Windows developers would be put off as they would be writing to target Desktop, Laptop and Xbox in addition Tablets and Phones.
    I think the Windows APPS should be about original APPS for Windows not bad ports of Android and IOS APPS...

To be honest a number of people I persuaded to try Windows Phone 2 years ago are now going to Android and IOS as there is a lack of new flagship device plus missing games and APPS they want to use.

APPS is the number one issue holding Windows Phone and Tablets back Microsoft need to make the big decision as universal APPS on their own will not fix this issue. If Microsoft added this option I think they could get 25% of the Market within 2/3 years..

Maybe this run Android APPS option could be enabled on mid/high end Snapdragon and ATOM devices not the really cheap phones etc..
    In spite of the fact that I do use Duos with Windows 8, I find this sort of Windows 10 "must" do something thread to be exceedingly annoying. No it really must not do anything unless you happen to be CEO or head of the development team. It is something you would like and nothing more. As far as it goes, if you feel you must have Android then buy an Android device, move on, and be happy. Building emulators into an OS is a bad joke that would cause bloat and inefficient resource utilization. It also would be a PR disaster and require either a licensing agreement with Google (never going to happen) or would result in perpetual litigation between the two companies over illegal side loading by users. Blackberry is so irrelevant a company, the side loading isn't worth Google's time. With respect to having an emulator in high end devices but not in low end ones, I don't think it requires an explanation as to why that would be a really bad idea - worse than an emulator itself.

BTW, hasn't the android emulator in BB10 has just done wonders for its market share? For that matter, look at the amazing growth of OSX since Bootcamp allowed dual booting of Windows. It is right at the heels of Windows. Yes, those are sarcasm. In the end, emulators (and even a virtual OS) get you absolutely nowhere. In fact, for most users, all they do is remind users that there is another OS that actually does what they want without hoops. Oh, as far as Microsoft apps being better on Android, that is an equally annoying claim. First, most are not better - neither are most IOS offerings. As for those that are better (one more time) the Office apps about which there has been such whining will be updated with the Windows 10 version of Windows Phone. They have not been updated because things were embedded in the WP 8.X OS. They have not been forgotten and the whole I want it now line is beyond tiresome. Give it a rest and wait a few months. The fact is WP8.X does not have the market share to justify the investment anyway (even Microsoft needs to consider that) and any half baked, stop gap, measure would have even more people (and biased self proclaimed experts) whining about how things just aren't as good as X or Microsoft sucks because of X.

The line about flagship devices is also quite old and has been addressed ad nauseam. It will not happen until the new OS and even then is not a path to success since growth in mostly in new adopters (i.e., entry level) not in going head to head with flagships that already have satisfied customer bases. Throw in carrier exclusives comments and you cold check off all the boxes - also something that is not going to change in carrier controlled markets.

If people want a flagship device with Android apps, they should save themselves some grief and choose the obvious solution. Buy an Android flagship device with Android and all will be right with your world.....
    12-14-2014 03:08 AM
    Windows 10 needs Android app support to be successful????? You wot m8? I have enough apps already then I need m8
    tanya shah1 likes this.
    12-14-2014 03:37 AM
    Nope just no, there may be other ways..
    12-14-2014 04:34 AM
    More chance of iOS apps coming to WP. Google hate Microsoft, Apple hate Google, now amazon is falling out with Google.

Google are really pushing their luck.
    tanya shah1 likes this.
    12-14-2014 04:41 AM
    I think being part of Windows 10 will ensure the OS features for Phones and Tablet devices will be on par with Android and IOS but unless people can get the APPS they want the lack of ecosystem will prevent growth above 5-10% worldwide... Windows has to find a way of running Android APPS!!

I recently upgraded from my Nokia 1020 to a Samsung Note 4 and while I miss many things about Windows Phone the number Apps and the quality is way beyond what is offered on Windows Phone. As a number of people have said even Microsoft Apps are better on Android.

If Microsoft had a store that supplied Android APPS as well as Windows Apps they could potentially get revenue from full Android devices using the Microsoft store in the same way I have the Amazon APP Store on my Note 4 in addition to the Google Play Store.

I don`t think Windows developers would be put off as they would be writing to target Desktop, Laptop and Xbox in addition Tablets and Phones.
    I think the Windows APPS should be about original APPS for Windows not bad ports of Android and IOS APPS...

To be honest a number of people I persuaded to try Windows Phone 2 years ago are now going to Android and IOS as there is a lack of new flagship device plus missing games and APPS they want to use.

APPS is the number one issue holding Windows Phone and Tablets back Microsoft need to make the big decision as universal APPS on their own will not fix this issue. If Microsoft added this option I think they could get 25% of the Market within 2/3 years..

Maybe this run Android APPS option could be enabled on mid/high end Snapdragon and ATOM devices not the really cheap phones etc..
    At this point in time bringing over Android applications will do little for Windows Phone. What Windows Phone needs, is, tons and tons of miracles so that it could finally turn a profit and developers give a crap.

i nearly completely agree with you except when you said WP is locked down
    i think its not locked down,its simply well balanced
    see ,ios is too locked down and limited which often drives people away
    android is too open and suffers from fragmentation,malware,poor performance etc
    windows phone sits right in between ,it has no major issues
    its both kinda open ,kinda closed, just right enough to give a great experience and no malware at the same time
    Windows Phone is just as locked down as iOS is, and your definition of what closed and open is has very little to do with any of the issues you have mentioned.

Also there is nearly zero truth to your statement about people leaving iOS because it is too "closed." Apple's closed environment has more benefits than flaws, it allows Apple to maintain strict control over apps allowing for greater optimisation. Windows Phone has no balance compared to that, Microsoft has little to no control over Windows Phone developers.

And bashing Android in every single post with very little to no truth in your statements is something that I find highly irritating.

The thing is running apk on WP will be extremely slower than xap or appx one. I think there is no point having good apps if they run slowly lack of stability.

Don't worry about it. Next version of visual studio is an Android and WP IDE in my opinion since they work on same IDE it should make a huge jump on WP apps
    Well the compatibility issues could be fixed with .apks but stability would be hit or miss, because if an app didn't work on your Lumia. Tough luck, because developers won't do much to help.

As far as Visual Studio goes, it is amazing IDE and I had a lot of fun using it to create small fun console applications (moving onto web and phone) but just because it had so many options didn't mean I used them.

Just because Visual Studio supports Android and Windows Phone, people will still likely ignore Windows Phone.

I mean if people wanted to develop for Windows Phone they would just do it, according to some research C#(the language used in Windows Phone app development) has a similar syntax to Java(Android app development) and yet no one really tries to do much for Windows Phone.

The app gap is slowly closing and Android devs are porting their apps to Windows Phone, but the quality of apps is still usually better on Android.

all we need now is apps ,more bells and whistles like USB OTG and a few more things imho and ofcourse bugfixes
    Oh and you also need sales of Windows Phones. Yes, sales, are most important.

And no not the sales of those $50 or $100 low end Lumias, no company can survive with that. You'll need to get people to purchase high end Lumias, good luck doing what Microsoft and Nokia hasn't been able to do for the past 4 years.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 12-15-2014 at 09:56 PM.
    12-14-2014 05:33 AM
    Well this thing reared it's ugly head again. I wonder how many more will show up like the last time.

Aside from the technical issues do I think it's a good idea? No. I think MS should sort out it's store and do something to get both consumers and developers interested in the platform. Their hope currently is that W10 will do it but there's no way to know if that is true.

As for the app argument I've heard them all, quantity, quality blah blah blah... that's not the issue.

Anyone who hasn't used an Android device for a while should go take a look at how nice the apps are now. Sure it's not perfect but then, no ecosystem is, even Apples. Just as there's a lot of junk in the Play store, the same goes for WP and iOS, though apparently Apple plans to do a cleaning.

So what is the app issue with WP if it's not about quantity and quality? It's about having the latest and greatest or those supplied by popular places. At this moment if you see an ad for an app it's more likely to be iOS and Android, always. You run across one that has WP but rarely. Not saying that iOS doesn't get everything first and that Android doesn't have apps missing but you're more likely to get it before WP ever does.

When we move into what WP has, let speak reality. WP, even when it gets an app finally, it's usually far behind what's available on other platforms and updates are either sluggish or non existent. Having a constant Beta label doesn't look good on popular apps.

This is the real issue with WP apps. No, 3rd party apps are not a solution. They should only be seen as an option. Nor is a web app.

This doesn't apply of course if you're happy with what's on offer. In which case enjoy your WP. This is not directed at you.
    12-14-2014 05:45 AM
    Well this thing reared it's ugly head again. I wonder how many more will show up like the last time.

Aside from the technical issues do I think it's a good idea? No. I think MS should sort out it's store and do something to get both consumers and developers interested in the platform. Their hope currently is that W10 will do it but there's no way to know if that is true.

As for the app argument I've heard them all, quantity, quality blah blah blah... that's not the issue.

Anyone who hasn't used an Android device for a while should go take a look at how nice the apps are now. Sure it's not perfect but then, no ecosystem is, even Apples. Just as there's a lot of junk in the Play store, the same goes for WP and iOS, though apparently Apple plans to do a cleaning.

So what is the app issue with WP if it's not about quantity and quality? It's about having the latest and greatest or those supplied by popular places. At this moment if you see an ad for an app it's more likely to be iOS and Android, always. You run across one that has WP but rarely. Not saying that iOS doesn't get everything first and that Android doesn't have apps missing but you're more likely to get it before WP ever does.

When we move into what WP has, let speak reality. WP, even when it gets an app finally, it's usually far behind what's available on other platforms and updates are either sluggish or non existent. Having a constant Beta label doesn't look good on popular apps.

This is the real issue with WP apps. No, 3rd party apps are not a solution. They should only be seen as an option. Nor is a web app.

This doesn't apply of course if you're happy with what's on offer. In which case enjoy your WP. This is not directed at you.
    This is probably the most logical post on this whole thread.

I am highly sickened about threads where Android (or iOS) is brought up that people spread misinformation just to hide Windows Phone and it's flaws.

Apps are an issue with Windows Phone, Joe Belfiore thought it would be solved by this year:

1418560455494.jpg

And sadly Windows Phone is nearly at the same place it was an year ago. Sure some apps have come, but the quality just doesn't match competition.

And no Android apps will not help, in the least.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    12-14-2014 06:35 AM
    This is probably the most logical post on this whole thread.

I am highly sickened about threads where Android (or iOS) is brought up that people spread misinformation just to hide Windows Phone and it's flaws.

Apps are an issue with Windows Phone, Joe Belfiore thought it would be solved by this year:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1418560455494.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	91088

And sadly Windows Phone is nearly at the same place it was an year ago. Sure some apps have come, but the quality just doesn't match competition.

And no Android apps will not help, in the least.

Gotta agree here.... 👍. I really wish folks will stop trying to suggest bringjng Android apps to WP. That is not the solution. Blackberry tried it and failed. And for crissakes, it's been said to death...if Microsoft allows Android apps to run on WP that will be the last blow to every developer or potential developer that supports native WP apps. There will be native support from devs. It will inadvertently kill WP Store. The app situation needs to be fixed according to native support. Not bowing to allow a competitors apps to run. If that's the plan MS is considering, then they might as well kill the entire platform now and start making Android devices.
    12-14-2014 06:43 AM
    Apps are overrated. So you want Windows 10 to turn into something like BlackBerry? That would fix the WP phone problem at the low end, because the majority of users on low end Android devices ultimately move over to WP, as I did, but high end Android users aren't coming to WP, regardless of whether their apps are compatible or not.

The precedent has already been set, and it did not work for BlackBerry.
    tanya shah1 likes this.
    12-14-2014 06:53 AM
    Oh and you also need sales of Windows Phones. Yes, sales, are most important.

And no not the sales of those $50 or $100 low end Lumias, no company can survive with that. You'll need to get people to purchase high end Lumias, good luck doing what Microsoft and Nokia hasn't been able to do for the past 4 years.
    ok so fragmentation and security and optimisation of the os as a whole arent necessary is what you want to say(sarcasm)
    android lacks all 3 despite high sales
    FYI mid range Lumias sell best nowadays ,which is exactly whats needed for marketshare not high end
    how many flagships are sold and how many mid rangers are sold? get my point-mid rangers sell better than flagships in ANY market
    not everyone wants to end up with a budget handset and miss out on features
    not everyone wants to spend $1000 on a flagship when its not necessary and they are scared of rough use or the phone getting lost

At this point in time bringing over Android applications will do little for Windows Phone. What Windows Phone needs, is, tons and tons of miracles so that it could finally turn a profit and developers give a crap.

Windows Phone is just as locked down as iOS is, and your definition of what closed and open is has very little to do with any of the issues you have mentioned.

Also there is nearly zero truth to your statement about people leaving iOS because it is too "closed." Apple's closed environment has more benefits than flaws, it allows Apple to maintain strict control over apps allowing for greater optimisation. Windows Phone has no balance compared to that, Microsoft has little to no control over Windows Phone developers.

And bashing Android in every single post with very little to no truth in your statements is something that I find highly irritating.

Well the compatibility issues could be fixed with .apks but stability would be hit or miss, because if an app didn't work on your Lumia. Tough luck, because developers won't do much to help.

As far as Visual Studio goes, it is amazing IDE and I had a lot of fun using it to create small fun console applications (moving onto web and phone) but just because it had so many options didn't mean I used them.

Just because Visual Studio supports Android and Windows Phone, people will still likely ignore Windows Phone.

I mean if people wanted to develop for Windows Phone they would just do it, according to some research C#(the language used in Windows Phone app development) has a similar syntax to Java(Android app development) and yet no one really tries to do much for Windows Phone.

The app gap is slowly closing and Android devs are porting their apps to Windows Phone, but the quality of apps is still usually better on Android.
    lol looks like you dont know much about android then
    ive used all platforms and have owned more androids than any other os's phone
    Visual studio will help bridge the gap and bring forth more ports and easier optimisation
    remember when ios and android first came-"ohh my java phone has bluetooth and a file manager,why would i want an iphone"
    "android?? never heard of it until google took it over,heard its still buggy and lacks proper updates" were the types of exclaimations people would give
    so its very easy to bash windows phone like that but like it or not,windows 10 points the future
    ios has OSX,Windows Phone has W10,android and Bb10 will be left out in this race-QNX(for desktop not embedded) and chrome os arent gonna catch up that soon
    ios has a better chance of reaching the "unification goal" and beating windows 10 than android,but ios is still limited and lacks basic functionality and OSX still has low marketshare compared to windows
    all things taken into account-microsoft windows as a whole has more marketshare than ANY Unix and Linux forms of mobile and desktop operating systems put together

android is plagued with malware and ios is too locked down but windows phone doesnt allow xaps to be deployed easily resulting in lesser piracy and malware and achieves this with bluetooth,file manager etc still intact and usable within the os
    so i dont see much truth in your statements
    Last edited by Guytronic; 12-15-2014 at 09:57 PM.
    chris722 likes this.
    12-14-2014 06:55 AM
80 1234