The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-16-2014 08:39 PM
80 ... 234
tools
    As someone pointed out earlier, if you exclude games from the mix, I'm not sure WP even in it's current state is really missing anything that's actually relevant to a grownup.
    My issue is not the "App gap" per se, but App parity. If an app is on say, iOS, it should work the SAME on the other OS's. Regardless of OS. Case in point, Netflix. While the app is there, it lacks some of the features of the other OS's. Now while this isn't a Microsoft issue, people are going to see it that way. Facebook is another. App is there, but the features aren't the same as other OS's.

*Edit: Well, paint me purple and call me Frannie. Netflix just updated their app today and looks like it is more on par with the other OS's. You can pick which profile to watch with now.
    Last edited by jleebiker; 12-15-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    neo158, tanya shah1 and aximtreo like this.
    12-15-2014 11:51 AM
    My issue is not the "App gap" per se, but App parity. If an app is on say, iOS, it should work the SAME on the other OS's. Regardless of OS. Case in point, Netflix. While the app is there, it lacks some of the features of the other OS's. Now while this isn't a Microsoft issue, people are going to see it that way. Facebook is another. App is there, but the features aren't the same as other OS's.

*Edit: Well, paint me purple and call me Frannie. Netflix just updated their app today and looks like it is more on par with the other OS's. You can pick which profile to watch with now.
    I agree with you that app parity is as big a problem as the actual gap, which isn't near as big anymore. Developers throwing out a WP app just to have one doesn't mean they put much effort into it or ever keep it up to date with the newest features they come out with on other platforms. They usually don't. The money isn't there for them to care about it. Microsoft has been doing a lot to try and convince them to bring apps to the platform. It's starting to work but when's the last time a commercial for any app (or even most web pages for an app) had the Windows Phone Store logo on it? It's just not mainstream enough yet and there are few WP exclusive things to make someone pick it over others right now.

Netflix did a great job with the last update that came out today. I don't know if they make native apps is or if they use some cross platform web apps but I no longer feel that the Android version has anything over the WP version. If more of them got to that point it would go a long way. So would getting Google apps that hundreds of millions rely on, but that's not Microsoft's fault that Google is sand bagging them over that.

I'd rather see the push for native apps continue the way it has been in the last year, which has been significant, than to be able to run Android apps that would no doubt provide as poor of an experience as it does running them on Blackberry, That's a half baked solution that sounds good in theory but is clunky to deal with in reality and most people won't bother.
    12-15-2014 07:05 PM
    It's starting to work but when's the last time a commercial for any app (or even most web pages for an app) had the Windows Phone Store logo on it? It's just not mainstream enough yet and there are few WP exclusive things to make someone pick it over others right now.
    Got to admit, I saw my first ad on TV the other day which included a Windows Phone Store logo, and that was for Pastry Paradise. I did raise a smile.

Getting back to the original subject on the post, I personally would not want Android apps on Windows, I do believe however that the numbers of apps are irrelevant, I would rather have 500k apps from first-party companies, then 5m apps from all and sundry. Quality over quantity!

I believe MS are looking at the app situation and seeing how best to create a better environment, I think that's why they've recently acquired an app matrix & analytics company and also an app advertising company. Also, Win10 especially in the corporate environment will have the option to only allow software to be downloaded/installed from WinStore (and the company's own signed software), which will force a number of major companies to write software for Windows and thus universally for WinPhone. I think MS have tried the Carrot, now they're going to use the Stick. I wouldn't be surprised if MS made a security setting (as an option, not compulsory) for the consumer market to ONLY allow software from the app store, again this will force major companies to develop software.

As for Unity, you develop on the Unity package, and then at the end you put in your controls based on the platform, which you then "build". Unity & MS have a video (I think YouTube) of how easy it is to Build for WP.

G.
    aximtreo and DavstarApps like this.
    12-16-2014 12:40 PM
    This thread has been extensively cleaned to remove all the bickering and is now as on-topic as it can be. Any further moderation required in this thread will result in its closure.

Your call, guys.
    12-16-2014 02:54 PM
    I think we've all suffered enough.

Closed
    ronaldme, Muessig, sumton and 3 others like this.
    12-16-2014 08:39 PM
80 ... 234