How do you get cortana to map one of your favorite addresses?

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I have an address that is saved as a favorite in my Maps app. If I open cortana and look at Places, I see it there. What do I have to say for Cortana to automatically map to that address? Something like "How do I get to 'blah'". Similarly, I have an addressed saved to a contact. What do I have to say to map to that? Anyone know? Is it possible?

Thanks

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have an address that is saved as a favorite in my Maps app. If I open cortana and look at Places, I see it there. What do I have to say for Cortana to automatically map to that address? Something like "How do I get to 'blah'". Similarly, I have an addressed saved to a contact. What do I have to say to map to that? Anyone know? Is it possible?

Thanks

When your favorite place is in English, Cortana will easily recognize the place you have saved, e.g. by saying "Remind me about this reminder when I arrive at [custom place in English]." If the place you saved is not in English, you would need to "train" Cortana by first attempting to say the place (which would most probably will be wrong) and then correcting the place manually afterwards. Next time around, Cortana should be able to recognize that place... give or take a few more trials.

bsayegh

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
When your favorite place is in English, Cortana will easily recognize the place you have saved, e.g. by saying "Remind me about this reminder when I arrive at [custom place in English]." If the place you saved is not in English, you would need to "train" Cortana by first attempting to say the place (which would most probably will be wrong) and then correcting the place manually afterwards. Next time around, Cortana should be able to recognize that place... give or take a few more trials.

What if I just want to get somewhere that is in my phone as a favorite? If I navigate to it manually it will let me select between Bing Maps and Nokia Here, then it will take me where I need to go. I want to be able to navigate to a place by saying something like "How do I get to 'Jims House'". Is there a way to do that?

Thanks for the answer!

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I just tried this now:

Tell (or type into) Cortana, "Get me to ____", where you would replace the ____ with any of your favorite places. It successfully gave me directions to one of my residential listings (i.e. it is not a popular place like a mall). However, it did not give me directions for a place which I have just recently mapped (just a few hours ago). I suppose this function would work for places that have been listed at least 24 hours as a favorite.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
It's easier, I think, if you give the place a nickname within Cortana. Then you can just say, "Give me directions to nickname."

If you have an address that maps properly in your contacts, you can tell Cortana to "Give me directions to Contact Name."

At least that works for me.

DantasticLive

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a really tough time with this. I have my parent's house in Cortana places as "Parent's House". I tried saying how long will it take to get me to my parents house and Cortana just gave me directions to my house. I tried changing the nickname to "my parents house", "dave and Ellen's" house and even just "apple" and saying "driving directions to apple". In all cases, Cortana just tells me how to drive home.

Furthermore, when I try to use Cortana to search the web for "why does cortana always default to driving directions home", Cortana immediately opens up driving directions with Here+ to drive me home (which is where I already am)

Kinda frustrating... Anyone else experiencing this? I just got 8.1 on Verizon. Not too impressed with Cortana.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel