Windows 10: Black is the new blue

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me that Windows 10 is turning more black with every build. Since build 9901, the calculater is black, the xbox app is black, the photo app is black, the new store is black themed and the taskbar is black. The title bar is already black for ages.

So I'm guessing, no more blue after years and years of a blue themed Windows versions by default. I find this pretty surprising, because black themed things were always considered 'cool' or for the gaming area, or gaming websites, consumer stuff, less serious stuff. Not really for business. I love the black themed stuff, but it seems funny for business use. It was always grey/blue/white. This is kind of a daring move from Microsoft.

To me it appears like going 'cool'. Which could be a good thing because things for business don't have to be grey and blue anymore. People want to have cool looking software at work as well now.

Watch this video and you'll see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEbiHIFTqIE

And if any of you devs are reading, please remove that ugly looking recycle bin from the desktop, it has been destroying my wallpapers for years.

Marquis de Faux

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
It does appear that it is moving towards black.

Btw, to remove the Recycle Bin icon, right click desktop -> Personalize -> Change Desktop Icons -> Uncheck Recycle Bin

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
It will turn so black that it will suck everything around it and it self into it self and create the next big bang. Hopefully metaphorically meaning very good for Windows. I want Transparency.

ReconVirus

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Whats wrong with being black? I'm black... Is it a problem?

Vista was that way as well to an extent. Windows 7 became more Aero then a color. But I'm guessing it has to do with unifying Xbox,desktop,mobile together

her3814

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I expect that maybe you can choose your color accent like in Windows Phone that would be great.. But lets see what's around the corner now..

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks marquis I know how to remove it, but I want it to look good for regular people who don't know it.

Her3814, yes maybe all the black can be changed later on in your own color to a degree. Maybe they use black to design everything on.

sumton

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Black on UI looks nice only when it mixed with colors and images I didn't like windows 10 store, alarm, recorder or calculator it looks completely black without colors

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Black on UI looks nice only when it mixed with colors and images I didn't like windows 10 store, alarm, recorder or calculator it looks completely black without colors

Screenshot (3).png

You were saying?

Windows 10 has it's Metro UI design language inspired by the Xbox One UI

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I actually love it ! It gives that unified feeling across lumias and desktops , cant wait for windows 10 on phones to see what changes are planned

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it's turning black and I'm loving it. I've always wanted Windows to go this way in the UI area. If any Microsoft people are reading this, good work. I can't wait to see more. I wish there was a "faster than fast" option for new builds xD

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Just look at it it looks dead soul I'd be completely depressed if I used that on daily basis

That is indeed a depressing calculator. As if calculating isn't depressing enough on its own.

I do like black themed stuff but it has to be cheered up with colors.

The new Xbox app also looks really depressing.

TechmeIN64

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Black themes are easier to look at for long periods of time. I think maybe when a button is pressed on the calculator it should light up with the accent color instead of just with gray. That would bring some more color to the program and I think it would look slick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon