"Hey Cortana" on lower-spec phones - solution?

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Recently had an idea that I thought I'd share.

I know and completely understand that the "Hey Cortana" passive activation can only work on high-spec phones like the 930 and 1520, and won't work on lower-spec phones with older processors and hardware.

But what I was thinking was, what if that these lower-spec phones were able to have a more limited version of this; for instance, passive activation could work only when the Cortana app was open, or perhaps even for just a short time after the last command, to turn it into more of a fluid conversation and to make it easier to converse with Cortana, rather than repeated taps of the screen. As it won't be on when other apps are open in front of it, surely this could lessen the processing power for these older models, like my 1020 or someone's 630?

I'm not knowledgeable in these kind of hardware restrictions and their effects, so does anyone know if this idea could even work?

Last edited:

shamrockhead

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I had Cortana running on my 520. I also experienced Cortana on 930 (now returned as I have central heating and didn't need more radiators). I got Cortana to run on my 520 by changing location and language to usa (and cant remember when I had develop version installed). I must say that as far as I was concerned it worked fine, without lags.

Kiba85

May 28, 2014
Visit site
They should allow to use "Hey Cortana" on every device while charging. That way power consumption wouldn't be a problem, and we could at least use the feature while driving.

lordsnow

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
They should make this a option for every phone. Glance too. The user should choose how to use the battery. Disable it for default but let the user choose.

LondonLumia

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Like I said in the original post, lower-end or older phones could have a much less-capable version, whilst the expensive phones get the full set of features. I think that new high-end phones would still have exclusive features there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05