Hey Cortana is a joke..

FeedTheShark

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Accents shouldn't effect the ability of Hey Cortana one whit. After all it starts with training to match you voice, so if you train it with a Miss Piggy voice and then use that voice it should still work. That's the point of the training, so it's used to your voice - no matter the accent. I've got Denim on my UK 1520 and have to say it's a bit hit or miss with me as well. Probably works a third of the time, hopefully though with more use it'll get better - I've only had Denim for a day.

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I think the answer is here

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2...akes-mobile-world-snapdragon-voice-activation

Hey Cortana uses a HW feature in the Qualcomm platform. This voice activation is likely to be much more basic than the then off line voice analysis. Your voice is after the "Hey Cortana" detection is sent to a server (if you enabled it) which can much more sophisticated voice analysis. I can imagine if your accent is a bit off or you have slurred speech, the HW detection can fail.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely believe you if you say it doesn't work for you most of the time. But I have zero reason to believe that would be true for others. If someone else says it works for them almost all the time, would you call them a lier or on the other side of the coin think that means Hey Cortana works for everyone? You are one data point.

I was asking to know people opinion not to be offensive or to stick with my opinion. I won't say people are liars. I just think and convinced people will have the same experience and I will be happy if not.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
after using it on a cheap 17" laptop I realized how important is the actual hardware for it to work, we normally take it for granted on our phones since they are.. after all... "phones" they should have best in class audio, but that doesn't apply to other devices, im not saying the mighty 1520 has bad mics, but maybe this one isn't that good... you should check that, record a message and then compare it to another phone, preferably a similar lumia too

after trying it on my main computer(a desktop one) "hey cortana" works even when im in the bathroom, with 2 fans on in the room(don't ask) and music on

Thats expected. Hey cortana on pc dont have to be sticked to the CPU and power saving as in phones. The microphone on pc always and fully listening and it doesn't care about power saving. For phones it is a totally different story and technology.

husam2277

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I think the answer is here

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2...akes-mobile-world-snapdragon-voice-activation

Hey Cortana uses a HW feature in the Qualcomm platform. This voice activation is likely to be much more basic than the then off line voice analysis. Your voice is after the "Hey Cortana" detection is sent to a server (if you enabled it) which can much more sophisticated voice analysis. I can imagine if your accent is a bit off or you have slurred speech, the HW detection can fail.

Sure. I know the tech details but that doesn't change the fact (at least for me) that it actually not useful at all in the current state. The main purpose of hey cortana is to help and make it easier. Not to respond less than third of times saying hey cortana.
Maybe this clarify why all android devices with snapdragon 800 didn't benefit and enable this kind of voice activation.

nrimolde

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
I use it on my AT&T 1520 and it works well. Only been a few times that it hasn't worked for me. When it didn't work I was in quite a loud room.

In my opinion it's kinda just a fun gimmick and a way to test out technology at this point. When Cortana is launched above lock she is restricted to what she can do without having to touch the phone for security reasons of course. In the future I could see the recognition getting better allowing Cortana to do any of her actions if she hears your voice.

DHHSMichael

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been having a terrible time with "Hey Cortana" on my AT&T 1520 running the official release of Denim. I live in Cincinnati, OH and have no accent to speak of and even in quiet environments and multiple trainings, it is still only working after I say the command maybe five times. Hopefully a future update improves recognition.

dajma00

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Well, I am in the process of testing on my 1520. I noticed one thing from the start: I was not able to train easily and I wondered how come the 4 microphones on the 1520 are not working or what? Then I tried taking the phone out of its nokia case (my phone came with a nokia cover). So far, here are my observations on waking up the phone with 'Hey Cortana': 1. If the front cover is closed, the phone doesn't wake up. 2. If the front cover is open, the phone usually will wake up if its in front of me. 3. Once the phone is awake, the voice input is recognized with great accuracy, although I speak with a heavy accent. So I would say if your phone is in any kind of cover, remove it and then test hey cortana, it should improve things.

Other than that, I would really love Cortana does a few more things. For example, if I ask it to read me my text messages since I left the room, change phone settings etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786