Why do my Traffic Notifications sometimes work and sometimes not?

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
It is available in the UK. Do you write your appointment's address in the calendar event field? I mean, complete address. Do you have this also saved under her notebook's places? And, are you talking about the "when to leave" feature? It will alert you about the optimal time to leave. If you leave too early, she won't alert. And, there are two types of alerts: one hits her live tile a few hours before your event starts, the other is the "when to leave" feature alert, with sound etc. Have you checked your phone's connection (4G...)? How about Daily Glance? Checked? Look, go into her notebook's interests, check and uncheck, then check again her Daily Glance checkbox and Getting Around's. Save again. It will work! ; ) Cheers! P.S.: Is your location setup turned on? How about language, speech and region? Are they english (United Kingdom) coordinating with Cortana UK Beta? How about your default Maps (bing) app? Is it working alright? Do you get Cortana's places integrated with it's favorites? ; ) Another thing is Bing's traffic info should work for all major highways and roads, so check about your location.

I'm getting this (for example):
http://forums.windowscentral.com/at...-8-1/89075d1416949558-wp_ss_20141125_0002.png

When I should be getting this (for example):
http://forums.windowscentral.com/at...-8-1/89071d1416949335-wp_ss_20141125_0006.png

Maps (Here & Bing) Up-to-date
Even testing using my mother's address, which is a favourite & in her contact details doesn't get me anywhere...

There's another thread (http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-populating-when-i-put-event-my-calendar.html) that I'm following which is similar. I might try a Hard Reset (not ideal option) when Denim is available...

G.

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi G,

So you are talking about the Autocomplete feature? Ok then.

The thread you forwarded has lots of different examples. Didn't help much, I'm afraid.

Try going to Internet Explorer's advanced settings and having "give me Bing suggestions as I type" checked. Also there, try Bing as your default search provider (not sure on this one, just double checking as my autocomplete f. works seamlessly).

And Cortana's settings has a checkbox called "detect tracking info, such as flights, in messages on my phone". This should be checked. Also there, go to search settings and check if your safesearch is moderate and if you allow Microsoft to store and use images from vision searches (this last just being a redundant checking).

In calendar events, I checked that and it doesn't have the autocomplete feature (I know, you said it was just an example, so I got a bit confused here). Is not there, plain and simple. It's not featured and supposed to have this, I'm afraid.

Good luck!

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
So you are talking about the Autocomplete feature? Ok then.
Yes, realised that wasn't clear

Try going to Internet Explorer's advanced settings and having "give me Bing suggestions as I type" checked. Also there, try Bing as your default search provider (not sure on this one, just double checking as my autocomplete f. works seamlessly).
Already set to Bing and suggestions on

And Cortana's settings has a checkbox called "detect tracking info, such as flights, in messages on my phone". This should be checked. Also there, go to search settings and check if your safesearch is moderate and if you allow Microsoft to store and use images from vision searches (this last just being a redundant checking).
Yup to all including moderate safesearch

In calendar events, I checked that and it doesn't have the autocomplete feature (I know, you said it was just an example, so I got a bit confused here). Is not there, plain and simple. It's not featured and supposed to have this, I'm afraid.
When I've looked at YouTube videos and other threads on this forum (http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...-populating-when-i-put-event-my-calendar.html - fourth response down) autocomplete is working, and on another thread I found yesterday it also seems to be working in the UK, though it was hit and miss. So I can only assume PfD has messed something up, as opposed to me not configuring something...

I did try just putting the address in the Location field but nothing happened, even if that was set as a favourite. Even setting the event via Cortana didn't notify me.

I wouldn't have minded if I could only add the location information via the Outlook.com interface, but that's also just a text box...

Looks like when Denim is enabled for my phone/carrier I'll Hard Reset, as Denim enables Update 1 which allows Cortana to be used in the UK (Beta). Will I have to 'teach' Cortana everything again, or is most of the configuration kept in the cloud??

G.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Just an update on this thread about not being able to use the autocomplete feature on the calendar to make TN work.
I completed a HARD reset and it now works for me, yes I lost my game saves, but everything else saved fine.
Thanks for your suggestions...

G.

Pedro Bustos

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the UK and this feature has never worked for me either, despite having everything enabled as described above.

But should it really be this fickle? This is a function used in UK TV commercials. That means it should be REALLY easy to set up and that anyone can do it - not just an Insider participant.

I've recently turned Cortana off, because I am sick of her doing zero, when all the ads on TV say how helpful she is.

If anyone knows how to make this feature work in the UK, I'd love to find out how.

Maybe Win10Mob will be better - oh but that deployment has been delayed to "early next year", I read. So maybe August or September 2016, if we are lucky.

iOS is the real winner here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro