Why do my Traffic Notifications sometimes work and sometimes not?

LaurinSt

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Traffic Notifications Sometimes work sometimes not

Hey guys

I really love the feature to be alerted when i should leave.
However this sometimes work and very often not (often with an address that worked on another appointment). For a long time it worked not. now since the developer preview updated it seemed to work again for a few appointments and then it stopped again.
Does somebody know this behavior?

best
laurin

Last edited:

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Traffic Notifications Sometimes work sometimes not

If I remember correctly it only works for appointments that have been marked as busy.

LaurinSt

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site

Hi
Thank you for your answer. Yes the appointment is marked as busy but it does not notify me... :( a real pitty!! I could not find any pattern when it works and when not.. :(
Best
Laurin

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Hi
Thank you for your answer. Yes the appointment is marked as busy but it does not notify me... :( a real pitty!! I could not find any pattern when it works and when not.. :(
Best
Laurin

Hm.. Just to make sure:

1) your appointments do have a start time?
2) the address set in the according field is correct?
3) you have enabled the required Cortana settings for this to work?

LaurinSt

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi
Yes! Yes! Yes!
The real stupid thing is:
On the life tile cortana shows me how long it will take with the current traffic to my next meeting!! Just the reminder does not come up again.
it is so stupid... :(

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Has it maybe to do with Quiet hours or inner circle setting?

Link Kadeshi

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Cortana did this to me as some point, and I realized in her settings that it was disabled to notify me. Please double-check your settings to see if the check box is selected. Maybe an update disabled it for me, I'm not sure.

LaurinSt

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes, i am always asked that... here are my settings:
wp_ss_20150109_0001.jpg
It is really my most missed feature...if this would work i would be so happy :(
but nobody has an answer or the same behavior...and the MSDN Forums just give stupid replies like 'please enable cortana'...great...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
For lack of a better answer, did you try doing a soft reset to see if that solved the problem. I doubt it will but you never know until you try.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Here another one. To get this info Cortana must have internet connection. Is it possible that she has problems to get connected. Like a data sense restriction or background restriction.

Last edited:

LaurinSt

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes, i tried it that way:
- Disable Cortana
- Reboot
- Doing a Soft Reset
- Renable Cortana

It is strange that it worked sometimes, then it stopped. then i thought maybe an update would help and i enabled windows dev preview. then it started to work again =) ... but only for a few days...now it stopped again....argh!!

LaurinSt

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
:( unfortunately not... cortana is working properly in every other way. most of the time i have wifi anyway. if not i am living in a big city and i have a flat subscription with constant 4G Connection...

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Bugger. But what if you have connection with internet but the trafic"website" or how its called is not up to date or "down". Not sure how to test that or can you set which "trafic website" you use.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Doesn't work for me either... But an update did uncheck that box... So bug.

But it's useless to me anyway since it assumes you're ready to go at a moments notice. I want a ten minute warning with current conditions.
Cortana should say: Traffic is heavy, leave within ten minutes to make it to work on time.
Not: Time to go you'll be late.

Well thanks, I'm still bruising my teeth and I read the paper and extra three minutes because I thought I was good...

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
It's never worked for me on my Lumia 820. When creating an appointment in the location I would have expected it to start searching for the location, however it doesn't. Even manually putting the address in doesn't get it to give notifications! Have all options checked in the getting around.

Running latest PfD, and have soft reset today to see if it starts working again. Sadly not!

Can only assume it's not working 100% outside the US, as I'm in the UK. It's the only feature of Cortana that frustrates me for not working...

G.

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
It's never worked for me on my Lumia 820. When creating an appointment in the location I would have expected it to start searching for the location, however it doesn't. Even manually putting the address in doesn't get it to give notifications! Have all options checked in the getting around.

Running latest PfD, and have soft reset today to see if it starts working again. Sadly not!

Can only assume it's not working 100% outside the US, as I'm in the UK. It's the only feature of Cortana that frustrates me for not working...

G.

Never? Something may be wrong!

How about her Daily Glance? Have you checked? When you create your appointment, how do you do this? Try using Cortana more and more times (save Cortana's setups more than one time in order to make sure back-end - cloud - will work), because she learns things. Still, in Beta. Cheers!

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Never? Something may be wrong!

How about her Daily Glance? Have you checked? When you create your appointment, how do you do this? Try using Cortana more and more times (save Cortana's setups more than one time in order to make sure back-end - cloud - will work), because she learns things. Still, in Beta. Cheers!

Nope, never! I use her every day since I signed up to PfD back in September, so she must know me by know!

Doesn't matter whether I use Cortana to setup the appointment or manually set it up via the Calendar. On YouTube videos when you start typing in the 'Location' bar it's supposed to start a location search, but doesn't on mine, never has!

EDIT: Even tried using Outlook.com to set it up, but no joy...

Again, I can only assume it's only available in the US, not yet in the UK

G.

WPit

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
It is available in the UK. Do you write your appointment's address in the calendar event field? I mean, complete address. Do you have this also saved under her notebook's places? And, are you talking about the "when to leave" feature? It will alert you about the optimal time to leave. If you leave too early, she won't alert. And, there are two types of alerts: one hits her live tile a few hours before your event starts, the other is the "when to leave" feature alert, with sound etc. Have you checked your phone's connection (4G...)? How about Daily Glance? Checked? Look, go into her notebook's interests, check and uncheck, then check again her Daily Glance checkbox and Getting Around's. Save again. It will work! ; ) Cheers! P.S.: Is your location setup turned on? How about language, speech and region? Are they english (United Kingdom) coordinating with Cortana UK Beta? How about your default Maps (bing) app? Is it working alright? Do you get Cortana's places integrated with it's favorites? ; ) Another thing is Bing's traffic info should work for all major highways and roads, so check about your location.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss