Windows 10 Feature Request: Texting from Laptop/PC

Albany Park

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Hey all,

So I made the big decision to jump ship from Android and choose a Lumia 735. I really like it but there are a few things which I really really miss from Android.

The biggest feature is the ability to send texts from your laptop. Due to my work, I'm sending lots of long texts each day to various people. My life would be so much easier if I could type it on my laptop and it sends directly. See MightyText for Android.

At the moment I have to use 'Kopy' app which allows me to type text on my laptop and sends it to the phone. Then I copy the text and 'text' it to my contacts. It's a very long process.

Does anyone else feel the same? I really hope Windows 10 will let us do this!

Albany

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft is going to use that for Skype. I think Skype will become the default messaging app for WP, Windows and Xbox

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I reckon you'd do better to start considering moving on from antiquated SMS to a multi-platform data-channel based instant messaging service.

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
You can send sms using computer, laptop and other device.
Use SMS easy type.
Type on computer and text is recived on phone, then just choose contact and press send on phone and done.

Friend of mine uses FB messager. Sends message to himself from computer then on phone opens message and copy and paste as SMS to someone, It is easy. :)

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
You can send sms using computer, laptop and other device.
Use SMS easy type.
Type on computer and text is recived on phone, then just choose contact and press send on phone and done.

Friend of mine uses FB messager. Sends message to himself from computer then on phone opens message and copy and paste as SMS to someone, It is easy. :)

I think that's not what he wants..I think he is asking something similar to ios and mac has....
like ability to Make and Answer Calls, Send and Receive SMS From Your Windows tablet , PC using Windows Phone

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I think that's not what he wants..I think he is asking something similar to ios and mac has....
like ability to Make and Answer Calls, Send and Receive SMS From Your Windows tablet , PC using Windows Phone

Yeah I know but for now MCSF is protecting our data, so Application for SMS and Calls is not possible to create simply because our contacts are protected and some other data. For example nothing is protected on android, application could see everything from your phone if you want to use application so it is not the problem to send SMS completly from PC without usage of phone.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I know but for now MCSF is protecting our data, so Application for SMS and Calls is not possible to create simply because our contacts are protected and some other data. For example nothing is protected on android, application could see everything from your phone if you want to use application so it is not the problem to send SMS completly from PC without usage of phone.

Oops....Anyway it is better to implement this feature in the future builds of Windows 10 for PC and Phone :)

AstroPop

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
You can already send text messages and call phones with skype. Certainly hope they integrate it more but it's already possible :)
Wish they'll make it possible to do the calling and text messaging from your laptop remotely via your phone tough.

Albany Park

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Really? Sorry, I'm quite new to Skype. So you are saying I can link my mobile phone number to my Skype account and send texts (SMS) via the Skype platform from my PC which will use my SMS credit on my phone?

Albany Park

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi MysticForce. Thank you for your reply. Yes, I understand it is to protect my data but I hope MS could develop their own software if that is the case.

Just one more thing - I feel more Windows Phone apps require to know my location than Android Apps did. At least you could stop location tracking for each app in Android. And Cortana requires I have my GPS on just to use it. That's sorta annoying as I rarely use the 'remind me when I'm in X shop' feature anyway!

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what other carriers offer, but you should check with your carrier for sending/receiving text directly from a laptop or desktop. My wife and I do it all the time.

If you're with AT&T, you have the ability to do this already, and you don't need permission from Windows Phone, or any phone. It works with all systems, and it is a web interface that you log into.

https://messages.att.net/

From that page, you can sign up, then log in and send/receive messages. You can also see everything sent and received by your phone number not already sent through this service. It will show AT&T's backup of what you have, or what has passed through their service.

I would think other carriers would offer such a service. Most people are unaware that it is available.

I do believe the suggestion above stating the OP is looking for doing a direct type SMS into the laptop and it send it is exactly what the OP is looking for. Not sure about the calling/receiving calls, though, as that's just calls over WiFi where it spoofs your phone number. With the AT&T messages portal, all messages are live and come in at the same time on my laptop and on my phone. No spoofing, just the web interface to the text messaging server for AT&T, which is the best possible world to be in.

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You can already send text messages and call phones with skype. Certainly hope they integrate it more but it's already possible :)
Wish they'll make it possible to do the calling and text messaging from your laptop remotely via your phone tough.

The reason they don't do it via phone is because MS makes most of its money via subscriptions. They let you call any mobile and text any mobile using Skype credits or subscriptions. If they start letting you text and call for free using your phone allowances, then you network provider makes a LOT of money from you but MS makes nothing. This isn't how they make profit. Their future goals are clearly into cloud computing and leveraging their dominance in operating systems to sell their services. That's why they can afford to give away 8 inch tablet with free Windows on it but then they know you will want to use Office on such device, so they give you that for free for a year with 1 TB online storage. After 365 days, you will surely want to keep using the subscription. Same with Skype.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I reckon you'd do better to start considering moving on from antiquated SMS to a multi-platform data-channel based instant messaging service.

YEAH, like Whatsapp. Oh wait, doesn't even exist on computers. Duh. As antiquated you may consider SMS, but it's the only thing you can be sure EVERY device understands and supports. What is he supposed to do, force all his people to use one certain messenger? Or install an entire bunch of different ones on his device in order to be able to reach everyone he needs to?

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You can do this with several of the carriers already. I have Verizon and they have a PC program for this. I agree it would be great if it was integrated in WP10, carrier independent and with both phone and SMS tied to ones Windows Phone though.

kxcd

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what other carriers offer, but you should check with your carrier for sending/receiving text directly from a laptop or desktop. My wife and I do it all the time.

If you're with AT&T, you have the ability to do this already, and you don't need permission from Windows Phone, or any phone. It works with all systems, and it is a web interface that you log into.

https://messages.att.net/

Never realized this. Thanks for the info!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786