The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-24-2015 08:15 AM
77 1234
tools
    Does anyone know if you will get free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 10 preview?
    I also wanted to know this. For product key reasons, wonder if we'd have to roll back.

Guys, I think the idea is that if you don't upgrade within 1 year from release, THEN you have to pay a ONE-OFF FEE to upgrade. If you choose to upgrade within the year, then the update to Windows 10, plus all future updates, are free.

I may be wrong, but that's my understanding of it. It makes sense to me, as it will encourage Win7/8/8.1 users to upgrade within a year.
    Maybe, it'll be tied to a Microsoft account anyway...
    Last edited by Guytronic; 01-21-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    01-21-2015 03:40 PM
    I read it as it's just like it is now (nothing different in regards to how you update windows) except you have 1 year (sounds like its one year from windows 10 release and not any year you don't have windows 10) to upgrade for free as opposed to paying for a copy. Kinda like you get a free trial for one year but its a full copy.
    01-21-2015 03:49 PM
    Does anyone know if you will get free upgrade to windows 10 from windows 10 preview?
    Yes you will be able to update for free :)
    GazooAz likes this.
    01-21-2015 03:50 PM
    Free Upgrade Offer
    Per Laura's Link...

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.
    And in the fine print at bottom via asterisk...

" *It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months."
    01-21-2015 05:30 PM
    when asking re: only as a service, I believe during the presentation it was mentioned that for enterprises they would still have the long branch support they're used to :)
    01-21-2015 05:36 PM
    It looks like that it will be available as a free upgrade. This free upgrade offer is only good for 1 yr after the official launch.

I imagine that they're doing this to try to speed adoption of the OS. They need to get people off the fence. Too many people are in the "wait and see" camp.

Well, if they lose the ability to upgrade by waiting too long, they may be motivated to upgrade sooner.
    rhapdog likes this.
    01-21-2015 05:40 PM
    sigh. was hoping for this to work on enterprise as well. still have about 60 systems on windows xp and vista but we just don't have the money to upgrade them. our it is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to funding. production first..
    01-21-2015 05:52 PM
    Per MJF Windows is not moving to a sub model, just how its updated https://twitter.com/maryjofoley/stat...82138109157376
    01-21-2015 06:25 PM
    "Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1."

Hmmmm so I wonder if that means no Windows 10 for Surface RT and Surface 2. That would be horrible making the Surface RT and Surface 2 officially the worst hardware path in history.
    01-21-2015 06:36 PM
    Well, they'd have to sell it on installation media for someone who is building their own new PC.
    Still doesn't rule out a subscription model. Just think of Office 365.
    01-21-2015 07:04 PM
    Still doesn't rule out a subscription model. Just think of Office 365.
    No, but losing 90% of their customers would rule it out.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-21-2015 07:06 PM
    No, but losing 90% of their customers would rule it out.
    Not really. Where would those customers go to? Linux? Mac OS? People would complain but in the end they would give in because they are too lazy (and I don't mean that necessarily as something negative) to adopt to a different OS or paying a premium for it. Wan't Mac OS? Sure, just buy an expensive iMac, MacBook, etc. Wan't Linux? You can, but using it is not very convenient for most people (dealing with missing drivers/unsupported hardware, etc.). Linux came a long way and is much more user-friendly than it was a few years ago, but it's still not ready for the masses as a compelling alternative to Windows.

Buying new software for a different OS can cost more than just paying a subscription to be able to keep using the expensive software.
    01-21-2015 07:16 PM
    Not really. Where would those customers go to? Linux? Mac OS? People would complain but in the end they would give in because they are too lazy (and I don't mean that necessarily as something negative) to adopt to a different OS or paying a premium for it. Wan't Mac OS? Sure, just buy an expensive iMac, MacBook, etc. Wan't Linux? You can, but using it is not very convenient for most people (dealing with missing drivers/unsupported hardware, etc.). Linux came a long way and is much more user-friendly than it was a few years ago, but it's still not ready for the masses as a compelling alternative to Windows.

Buying new software for a different OS can cost more than just paying a subscription to be able to keep using the expensive software.
    I'm not tied into certain software's. So for me if windows went to a sub model I would move to Linux in a heartbeat. It's why I gave up on adobe.
    01-21-2015 08:12 PM
    What they basically said is that you have one year to download the upgrade for free otherwise after that you would have to buy the OS. They did not mention anything about the service model where you have to pay a yearly fee to keep using the OS. They are moving towards a service model regarding to their other services such as office and the cloud, however, you still have the option to buy office licenses as well.

This upgrade was motto was the same when Windows 8 came out, however at that time, they gave you a reduced rate where if you pay 29.99 you get windows 8 upgrade and after a few months it was full price.
    01-21-2015 08:35 PM
    I'm not tied into certain software's. So for me if windows went to a sub model I would move to Linux in a heartbeat. It's why I gave up on adobe.
    That's fine for you, I'm sure. But for me, I'm not willing to give up on the new features that Windows will now have that Linux will just never have the resources to match. I'll probably never get HoloLens to work on Linux, so, I'll probably want Windows.
    01-21-2015 08:40 PM
    Yes, you would. And many others too. But there are lots of people that don't want to or aren't "advanced users" who just switch to a different OS like it's no big deal. What about older people? People who are depending on software that is only available for Windows? (and aren't capable of using a VM)

Windows 8 - with its minimalistic design - was dumbed down on the surface so more people would be interested in using it. The fear of "oh my god! what if I press the wrong button?" was taken away (much like with the simplicity of iOS). Do you really think the people who were targeted as the demographic for Windows 8 are savvy enough to just switch OS? Some of them might not even know that there are other OS besides Windows.
    01-21-2015 09:03 PM
    I think basically it's trying to get people to migrate to 10 within a year. So it's like "Moving Sale" for free guys. However, if you buy a new Desktop or Laptop or any Windows device already on 10, it's supported life-time.
    01-21-2015 11:07 PM
    I think Microsoft played a dumb move by mentioning "free for a year", even advanced OS like android and IOS are free to upgrade. Even if Microsoft offers some useful features, they will be extinct before they know it as people will begin to switch for wp10 to android as it is the only good option in affordable race and google is sending OTA updates so they are good choice for OS now
    01-21-2015 11:30 PM
    I think Microsoft played a dumb move by mentioning "free for a year", even advanced OS like android and IOS are free to upgrade. Even if Microsoft offers some useful features, they will be extinct before they know it as people will begin to switch for wp10 to android as it is the only good option in affordable race and google is sending OTA updates so they are good choice for OS now
    You can't compare Android and iOS with Windows for PCs.
    If you want a new OS version for your smartphone after the end of its update-cycle you'll have to buy a new phone (I'm not talking Jailbreak and Custom Roms into consideration here).
    If your version of Windows doesn't get any updates you just buy a copy of a newer version. You usually don't buy a whole new PC because the OS is outdated.

The whole "we call all our operating systems - regardless if it's on a phone, console, tablet or PC - Windows 10" is the dumb move. It confuses people.
    It may be nice to think that everything runs on the same OS (that's tailored to it) but that will not work as smoothly as MS might think.

Regarding my last sentence: no, I don't work for Microsoft, and no, I am no software developer. I don't know to program an OS. But at this point I don't assume that MS thinks they know what they're doing. Too many wrong decisions in the past, too often been disappointed.
    01-21-2015 11:42 PM
    It's just a bad choice of words considering that they meant to say "upgrades are free if you do it within a year after the Windows 10 release and you'll have to pay if you do it later" instead of "upgrades are free for a year then you'll have to subscribe afterwards"

They definitely didn't see this misunderstanding coming...
    01-22-2015 12:13 AM
    smdh at this thread.
    jdballard likes this.
    01-22-2015 12:51 AM
    It's just a bad choice of words considering that they meant to say "upgrades are free if you do it within a year after the Windows 10 release and you'll have to pay if you do it later" instead of "upgrades are free for a year then you'll have to subscribe afterwards"

They definitely didn't see this misunderstanding coming...
    Still a bit confusing, especially on the Windows 10 for phones part. Why would they even say that the upgrade to Windows 10 on phones will be free? It's a phone, there have - afair - never been costs involved for upgrading (unless you need to buy a new phone to get that OS update, like with Windows Phone 7).

And regardless of who one interprets the statement, it still doesn't mean that there won't be a subscription system coming. The sentence "...in fact with Windows 10 we think of Windows as a service" could be seen as a hint.
    01-22-2015 01:11 AM
    Guys guys guys guys guys ..... Too much confusion. What they are saying is that for the first year that Windows 10 is out, the price is $0 if you are upgrading from 7 or 8.1. AFTER one year is over, then the price is $X for anyone WHO HAS NOT YET gotten Windows 10.

A lot of people are thinking that they meant one year like a free trial.
    01-22-2015 01:22 AM
    I have a windows 8.1 pro retail key so i will be automatically qualified for windows 10 upgrade if i do it in the first year. So my question is

What if i wanted to reset the PC for clean installation after a year
    1. Will the 8.1 key works as it did in the first year or as one year passed out for free upgrade do i have to buy ?
    2. To make it work do i need to go back to windows 8.1 pro and then upgrade ?
    3. Once i upgrade my PC to windows 10 via 8.1 pro key will it forever linked to 10 so i can use whenever i want to reset ?

I think no one knows how it will turn out after the first year. But if u know care to answer !
    01-22-2015 01:36 AM
    Man, I hope this free upgrade offer reaches the Microsoft websites of other regions such as MS Singapore's website as that sign-up page is in the US website and may not cover all regions.
    01-22-2015 06:28 AM
77 1234