People don't understand the service model of Windows 10.

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
I keep reading articles with misinformed consumers thinking that after the first year of free Windows 10 upgrade that they would have to pay for a subscription to keep using the OS.

The update is free to the new OS for all users using Windows 7 and up for the first year. After that if you want to upgrade then there may be a charge to purchase the upgrade OS. They are not going to charge you a yearly fee to use the OS once you have it installed.

Just ranting in case no one understood what they meant by the first year free.

legend921

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
They need to bold that. I am sure that they didn't think that people would confuse it but they did. Hopefully they will clarify or someone somewhere can clarify that model later.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I suspect the service model is because features in Windows like OneDrive and the store are paid services. That's why they want everyone on the new platform.

They did say the core licensing model has not changed though. So there's no annual charge for just using Windows. No different to any other current OS..

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
It didn't help that months ago they word "subscription" was mentioned by someone somewhere regarding the next Windows version. So that was what was in my head when "services" came up. Definitely a misfire on MS's part today.

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I think the Microsoft strategy it's for avoid piracy, as an stimulus whose have their Windows legal ,I think they will do as is done with Windows 8 and,8,1 the same will happen with Windows 10 upgrade will come either in an ISO or as Windows update package

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
It makes me wonder if dvd sales in the first year will even happen. This could be the first non iso version of windows to kill the pirates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven