is my device getting windows 10?

Zahin Anzum

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
Be it a phone,tablet or pc. Or classic questions like is Lumia 520 getting windows 10? Will my pc from 'x' year ago run windows 10? Or like my pc/phone/tab/ect. Configuration is 'y' will it get windows 10? Let's discuss them all...

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Will the Surface RT models get Windows 10? I have read that windows 10 will run on ARM but nothing I can announced recently backs that up.

Nalin Khanduri1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Dude,every single win phone 8 and 8.1 will get windows 10.This was already officially confirmed by Lumia on twitter back in November.And today I had also seen a Lumia 630 running windows 10 when I was reading the verge article on win 10 press event.Sit back and relax if u have any wp running 8/8.1,u are welcomed user of win 10.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
If you are running Windows 7 to 8.1 you will be eligible to upgrade to win10 for free for the first year.

If you are running a tablet with Win 8 RT, I guess you won't get full blown win 10, but some form or fashion... http://www.windowscentral.com/windo...d-surface-2-will-get-some-features-windows-10 app link: wpcentral:show?article=windows-rt-based-surface-and-surface-2-will-get-some-features-windows-10

If you are on a phone running WP8, you are technically eligible for the update, however Carriers could possibly get in the way of an official release... There is the developer preview though, which may allow all WP8 devices an upgrade path to W10

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Sorry but what is there to discus.
Your 520 will get it and also your tablet and computer if configuration is Y.
But you will not be forced to get it so if you want it you can install it and if you do not want it than don't install it.

Vega625

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
www_theverge.com/2015/1/21/7869441/windows-10-for-phones-features-hands-on
The link where W10 is running on a Lumia 630.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Just like WP updates now, the update will be released to the manufacturers and carriers. They have to come through and get the update to you. Think about it, if you have a Verizon or HTC phone .

Different story on tablets.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Windows Central' Daniel Rubino's take on what Window Phones will get WP10
----------------------------
All modern Windows Phones can get Windows 10..all current Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 devices can get Windows 10 as an upgrade. Sure, there could be some restrictions (mostly the camera), but the Lumia 530 and Lumia 635 are just as likely to get this update as the Lumia 1520 and Lumia 930.
-----------------------------

So, I ask...what exactly is a 'modern' windows phone?

From the MS W10 Free Upgrade Offer Signup page ...
------------------------------
Free Upgrade Offer

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!* And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.
-------------------------

Which leads to the question, what defines 'qualified' ?
Previous quoted MS statement's asterisk info...
--------------------------------------
*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months.
--------------------------------------------

So, MS says there will be hardware/software requirements that may vary the range of completeness of WP10 installs. And some outright exclusions, apparently in Enterprise/business applications. This postulates the question, what are the hardware/software requirements that will separate those phones which get WP10 and those which do not?

From a MS 'Lumia Conversations' (by Rhea) interview of Chris Weber(MS Corp VP of Sales for the MS Mobile Devices Group)...
-------------------------------------
For example, you can get the budget-friendly Lumia 435, the selfie-happy Lumia 735, or the gorgeous gold-edition Lumia 930–and you will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 as it becomes available, starting this summer. It’s the best of both worlds: amazing hardware right now, with a VIP pass to killer new software later this year.

Does that mean that today’s Lumia devices can be upgraded to Windows 10?

We’re making it as easy as possible to get Windows 10. Windows 10 has been designed to run well on today’s Lumia phones. Like any upgrade to a new operating system, not every phone will upgrade or support all possible Windows 10 features, and certain features and experiences will require more advanced future hardware. Our goal is for the majority of the Lumia phones running Windows Phone 8 and 8.1 to join the Windows ecosystem along with an expected hundreds of millions of PCs, tablets and other devices running the next generation of Windows.
---------------------------------------

So it is implied that perhaps the most recently released Windows Phones will get WP10 w/all features and capabilities but that Windows Phones w/lesser specs .... might not get all the features/functions of WP10. And some Windows Phones w/low end specs, may not get WP10 at all. Likely the latter group is not qualified to upgrade to WP8.1. So, I ask what might those 'specs' be that separate the full WP10 experience from the partial one?

From an AAWP article/analysis(by Steven Litchfield) on the Chris Weber interview...Steven Litchfield speculates....
------------------------------------------
I'd previously expressed a theory that the new 'baseline spec' of 8GB internal storage and 1GB RAM in the new bottom end Lumia 435 and 532 (and 535, of course) was a huge hint that this spec was needed to run Windows 10 properly...

My guess is that it refers to the range and that the likes of the Lumia 520, 530 (of course), and 635, plus several third party designs (including HTC), will all be left on Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1. The RAM requirement is probably less stringent than that for internal space. However efficient the code is at running on a Snapdragon chip, you can bet that there will be more of it and 4GB devices will be squeezed out....

I'm still estimating that big sellers like the 520 and 630/635 will be left on 8.1 Update 1 too, because of the 512MB of RAM....
-------------------------------------------

So what exactly is a 'modern' phone? Apparently one that has sufficient specs to run WP10 properly. And for those phones w/lesser specs....WP10 will run less effectively. And for some low end speced Windows Phones, the prospect of running WP10 will not be an option. All of this makes sense if the Windows Phone platform is to move forward. Progress happens. That specs cut-off is postulated by AAWP's Steven Litchfield to be >512MB RAM and >4GB of Memory.

The devil is always in the details. Hopefully Microsoft will be filling in those details as their Builds define the parameters of WP10 over the coming months.

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
You did a good job in reading and collecting above statments.
See below for (I hope) some clarification.

Q So what exactly is a 'modern' Phone?
A A phone which runs windows 8

Q Apparently one that has sufficient specs to run WP10 properly. And for those phones w/lesser specs....WP10 will run less effectively.
A Indeed.

Q And for some low end speced Windows Phones, the prospect of running WP10 will not be an option.
A Yes and no. All windows 8 phones are able to run windows 10 (high spec more fluent than low spec ) but MS can not force carrier to pass the update . T-mobile has the Lumia 810 This phone has still the Amber (Amber Black Cyan Denim) because the carrier does not release the updates to that phone.
So YES phone can run on Windows 10 if the carrier passed the update and NO they will not running it because the carrier prevents it.
So it even could be, and Microsoft can not really help this, that if you have a carrier locked 930 and the carrier does not pass the windows 10 update that this high end phone would not get windows 10.
Or in other words MS can state that all phones will get windows 10 because they do not own the carriers they only can say that all windows phone 8 are able to run it.

Q Hopefully Microsoft will be filling in those details
A MS will never publicly say which carrier or OEM are "not willing" to update because they do not always know and finger pointing / "blaming" is a bad business strategy.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99