02-14-2015 11:20 PM
84 1234
tools
    Joanna is the most uneducated tech journalist I have seen in quite some time. I really don't think she misleads or lies on purpose, I think she is lazy. She is a disgrace.
    01-23-2015 06:56 PM
    I guess someone is still traumatized by the countless pop ups that users got spammed with due the internal messaging loop hole (when XP first launched, later patched out) lol.
    01-23-2015 07:14 PM
    Almost as bad as that time "Julia Bott" wrote an article saying Windows 7 support was ending like Windows XP (complete lie), and got everyone in a huge frenzy over nothing. She purposely exaggerated the situation and ignored that fact that only *Mainstream* support was ending, and extended support continues until 2020.
    These "tech" journalists just want people to hate MS.
    01-23-2015 07:37 PM
    I really believe that such a small percentage of people read tech reviews anyway and the ones that do know enough to make up their own minds.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-23-2015 08:34 PM
    Almost as bad as that time "Julia Bott" wrote an article saying Windows 7 support was ending like Windows XP (complete lie), and got everyone in a huge frenzy over nothing. She purposely exaggerated the situation and ignored that fact that only *Mainstream* support was ending, and extended support continues until 2020.
    These "tech" journalists just want people to hate MS.
    Either that or they're all just dumb.
    Kevin Rush likes this.
    01-23-2015 09:15 PM
    Even Tech Youtubers (MKBHD, Austin, Detroitborg, etc) doesn't seem to care about MS at all. No mention about Windows 10 or even Hololens. They're all focused on their Android and Apple gadgets
    SPS828 and portalfocus like this.
    01-23-2015 09:34 PM
    Even Tech Youtubers (MKBHD, Austin, Detroitborg, etc) doesn't seem to care about MS at all. No mention about Windows 10 or even Hololens. They're all focused on their Android and Apple gadgets
    MKBHD is okay, and he gave the Lumia 1520 an excellent review.
    Austin Evans does a lot of PC-related videos.
    MaxyBley likes this.
    01-23-2015 10:47 PM
    Upgrade and re-install problems?! LOL! I upgraded last night, it took 10 minutes or so, and everything was there. (I was surprised!) all apps were there, picture password still there, all the crap and shortcuts on the desktop were still there.
    It is getting much easier with energy iteration of Windows too
    Jazmac likes this.
    01-24-2015 04:28 AM
    We have to keep in mind the kinds of people that write these stories and how they are paid for writing them. Mouse clicks is how they make money so the bigger the target, the more outrageous the story, the bigger the paycheck. We read one story not too many weeks ago from a "blogger" who hated Windows 8.1 and could not figure it out. Turns out this cat was still on Windows XP. In 2015, a tech blogger still on XP, probably a pre-load and he is writing hate stories to his readers steering them away from Windows 8.
    Laura Knotek and arifdanials like this.
    01-24-2015 09:09 AM
    Two things.
    First: If you read the responses mostly are trashing her 'report' and her lack of knowledge about tech and Windows in general.
    Second: WSJ I wouldn't worry to much about this news paper. In the last recent years 5 to be more precises news paper usages has gone down dramatically to the point that they have to reinvent themselves and it is not working at all. It is clear that she is a **** hurt Apple lover and anything they see as a treat they will criticized and ridicule to try to bring it down. The fact that 90% of the reviews even for those Mac and Linux users out there are positive tells a lot. Here is something that you will learn if you ever take even the simplest class of marketing. How people reaction tell something had hit a homerun:
    1st: When their fierce critics actually acknowledge the product is actually good.
    2nd: When the product it is well welcome by almost everybody.
    3rd: When people like Mrs. Joanna Stern that clearly hasn't used a Windows products in years, and has no idea what she is talking about, has to put all this crap together because she needs to fill her space on the WSJ or does not get pay.
    Last edited by Jorge Holguin; 01-24-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    Jazmac likes this.
    01-24-2015 09:13 AM
    Well, i didn't see blue screen but virus problem is big issue.
    If you aren't very careful then Windows very easily infected, even simple browsing is more than enough to do so.
    and Windows got very sophisticated virus which many anti-virus may not be able to deduct.

If your priory is security than Linux would be best choice.
    Among Windows, Mac OS and Linux
    Linux is always very difficult to hack and Windows is very easy to hack.
    01-24-2015 11:24 AM
    Well, i didn't see blue screen but virus problem is big issue.
    If you aren't very careful then Windows very easily infected, even simple browsing is more than enough to do so.
    and Windows got very sophisticated virus which many anti-virus may not be able to deduct.

If your priory is security than Linux would be best choice.
    Among Windows, Mac OS and Linux
    Linux is always very difficult to hack and Windows is very easy to hack.
    If it's Windows XP then yes, but I haven't had any issues on Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 and I suspect that it will be the same with Windows 10.
    Jazmac, JamesDax and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-24-2015 11:58 AM
    If it's Windows XP then yes, but I haven't had any issues on Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 and I suspect that it will be the same with Windows 10.
    Nuff said. These "Windows: a easy hack" stories will outlive us all.
    k72 likes this.
    01-24-2015 12:54 PM
    Pop-up permission requests,
    Unless you disable them (unwise, in many cases) they are still there. I get them several times a day. Try everything.exe for instance, every time I run it, a permissions box pops up.

That aside, I've not had the other issues she suggests for many years. However, I shared her misgivings when I fist became interested in Windows Phone. But I took a gamble, tried Windows Phone for myself, and I'm delighted with it. No issues at all, unlike Android what was a carnival of Forced Close errors for no obvious reason.
    01-24-2015 12:55 PM
    I was talking about virus not blue screen of death.
    Windows 7,8,8.1 or 10 all of them have virus problem.
    01-24-2015 10:21 PM
    I wasn't talking about the BSOD either. You must have some really weird configuration if you're still getting viruses on Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, the fact is that anything greater than XP has a much smaller attack surface and far less attack vectors to get infected through now, unless you disable every single security measure within the OS.
    k72 likes this.
    01-25-2015 07:18 AM
    Very true, but don't forget MS was also the biggest target (with most machines). Even Apple is now getting targeted and it's working (for the hackers/virus writers) so the definition of Windows being more prone to viruses is starting to fall apart.
    I also think sandboxing is going to feature greatly in Win10 for both consumer & business. I just hope that MS have a toggle of some kind for more advanced users to be more adventurous, which will plicate a lot of the criticisms from more tech-savvy people.

G.
    01-25-2015 07:19 AM
    I wasn't talking about the BSOD either. You must have some really weird configuration if you're still getting viruses on Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, the fact is that anything greater than XP has a much smaller attack surface and far less attack vectors to get infected through now, unless you disable every single security measure within the OS.
    Are you really a Windows users?

I never play with security settings.
    I even installed Microsoft Essential security and both my os and anti virus upto date, yet my Windows devices affected two times in last six months.

And
    I said among Linux, mac OS and MS Windows. Windows is the least secured OS.
    Is this wrong?

Are you among those users who claims that Windows have no virus problems?
    01-25-2015 11:36 AM
    Are you really a Windows users?

I never play with security settings.
    I even installed Microsoft Essential security and both my os and anti virus upto date, yet my Windows devices affected two times in last six months.

And
    I said among Linux, mac OS and MS Windows. Windows is the least secured OS.
    Is this wrong?

Are you among those users who claims that Windows have no virus problems?
    Wow. Twice in the last 6 months? What are you doing? I manage 6 computers and, (knock on wood) haven't had an issue for years and that one was due to the user being careless using the internet and downloading a virus.
    01-25-2015 01:37 PM
    When Microsoft was on top a decade ago, they were flat out cruel to many in the media including those that were Windows/Microsoft cheerleaders.....and they treated devs like crap as well. They are paying for a lot of that now. MSFT has been much better in dealing with the press, but a ton of damage with the big places was done. On top of that a generation of developers and reporters have now grown up using OS X. This is fact.

Most of the post event coverage has been quite positive, including from Joanna who was mentioned above. There is no way I can put into words the way the Sinofski/Ballmer duo at Microsoft treated and thought of the media. They made their bed, and have been paying ever since.
    01-25-2015 02:00 PM
    Wow. Twice in the last 6 months? What are you doing? I manage 6 computers and, (knock on wood) haven't had an issue for years and that one was due to the user being careless using the internet and downloading a virus.
    Well, you could I say. I always be careful as much as possible. Well
    I remember a virus(Thor icon) which was creating copy of itself in every drive and folder.
    and for some reason Microsoft Essential Security wasn't working on it.
    01-25-2015 02:56 PM
    D M C is correct. My colleague makes a living cleaning up PCs. XP was definitely the worst, but we hardly see those anymore. Windows Vista, 7, and 8 all get infected. I bet W10 will too.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk
    D M C likes this.
    01-25-2015 03:34 PM
    Aaaah... OP, did you bother to read that WSJ article? Because after the first three criticizing lines, the 4th one literally says:

"But Windows everywhere may in fact be—gasp!—a really great thing"

And then the author goes on to detail what was problematic with Windows for her in the past and how Microsoft has been fixing all these problems, ending the article with the line " it does appear to be (finally) pointed in the right direction".

That the author doesn't love Microsoft doesn't mean her criticism is unfounded. She is actually praising Microsoft for waking up and reacting, after a decade of mostly failures. I choose, prefer and defend Microsoft regularly, but I can see past my preference and recognize that, other than Xbox and Win7, Microsoft has missed many tech innovations in the past decade. They're only now starting to come back, which Joanna is pointing out.

I'm not defending her, or Microsoft. I'm just saying that her article isn't biased BS, but actually a pretty objective critical point of view - an opinion, of course - and praise for the good direction the company is heading into.

It feels to me more like you are trying to create a journalism bias mountain (which it actually exists, just not in this case) from an article that doesn't reflect what you're condemning.

Just my opinion.
    TonyDedrick likes this.
    01-25-2015 04:05 PM
    Aaaah... OP, did you bother to read that WSJ article? Because after the first three criticizing lines, the 4th one literally says:

"But Windows everywhere may in fact begasp!a really great thing"

And then the author goes on to detail what was problematic with Windows for her in the past and how Microsoft has been fixing all these problems, ending the article with the line " it does appear to be (finally) pointed in the right direction".

That the author doesn't love Microsoft doesn't mean her criticism is unfounded. She is actually praising Microsoft for waking up and reacting, after a decade of mostly failures. I choose, prefer and defend Microsoft regularly, but I can see past my preference and recognize that, other than Xbox and Win7, Microsoft has missed many tech innovations in the past decade. They're only now starting to come back, which Joanna is pointing out.

I'm not defending her, or Microsoft. I'm just saying that her article isn't biased BS, but actually a pretty objective critical point of view - an opinion, of course - and praise for the good direction the company is heading into.

It feels to me more like you are trying to create a journalism bias mountain (which it actually exists, just not in this case) from an article that doesn't reflect what you're condemning.

Just my opinion.
    You must have missed my second post where I replied to a similar response...

Oh no, I don't think it was a joke - I got the feeling those were her real sentiments. If I had to guess I would say she hasn't used windows since XP.

And yes the balance of the article was very reasonable coverage - however with a lead in like that it just totally tainted it for me.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/windows-...ews/technology
    01-25-2015 04:53 PM

"But Windows everywhere may in fact begasp!a really great thing"
    Herein lies the problem - these journalists know that most people only read the top of the article - why would you place the negative in a predominantly positive article there?

Non-tech readers: "Another crappy effort from Microsoft"
    Apple/Google readers: "Another crappy effort from Microsoft"
    Microsoft fans: "Another crappy review for Microsoft. RAWRRR... to the comments"

The bulk of the people don't get the gist of what the article is about.
    01-25-2015 07:15 PM
84 1234