Tech journalist's BS after W10 event

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I was talking about virus not blue screen of death.
Windows 7,8,8.1 or 10 all of them have virus problem.

I wasn't talking about the BSOD either. You must have some really weird configuration if you're still getting viruses on Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, the fact is that anything greater than XP has a much smaller attack surface and far less attack vectors to get infected through now, unless you disable every single security measure within the OS.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I was talking about virus not blue screen of death.
Windows 7,8,8.1 or 10 all of them have virus problem.

Very true, but don't forget MS was also the biggest target (with most machines). Even Apple is now getting targeted and it's working (for the hackers/virus writers) so the definition of Windows being more prone to viruses is starting to fall apart.
I also think sandboxing is going to feature greatly in Win10 for both consumer & business. I just hope that MS have a toggle of some kind for more advanced users to be more adventurous, which will plicate a lot of the criticisms from more tech-savvy people.

G.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't talking about the BSOD either. You must have some really weird configuration if you're still getting viruses on Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10, the fact is that anything greater than XP has a much smaller attack surface and far less attack vectors to get infected through now, unless you disable every single security measure within the OS.

Are you really a Windows users?

I never play with security settings.
I even installed Microsoft Essential security and both my os and anti virus upto date, yet my Windows devices affected two times in last six months.

And
I said among Linux, mac OS and MS Windows. Windows is the least secured OS.
Is this wrong?

Are you among those users who claims that Windows have no virus problems?

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I even installed Microsoft Essential security and both my os and anti virus upto date, yet my Windows devices affected two times in last six months.

And
Is this wrong?

Wow. Twice in the last 6 months? What are you doing? I manage 6 computers and, (knock on wood) haven't had an issue for years and that one was due to the user being careless using the internet and downloading a virus.

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
When Microsoft was on top a decade ago, they were flat out cruel to many in the media including those that were Windows/Microsoft cheerleaders.....and they treated devs like crap as well. They are paying for a lot of that now. MSFT has been much better in dealing with the press, but a ton of damage with the big places was done. On top of that a generation of developers and reporters have now grown up using OS X. This is fact.

Most of the post event coverage has been quite positive, including from Joanna who was mentioned above. There is no way I can put into words the way the Sinofski/Ballmer duo at Microsoft treated and thought of the media. They made their bed, and have been paying ever since.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Wow. Twice in the last 6 months? What are you doing? I manage 6 computers and, (knock on wood) haven't had an issue for years and that one was due to the user being careless using the internet and downloading a virus.

Well, you could I say. I always be careful as much as possible. Well
I remember a virus(Thor icon) which was creating copy of itself in every drive and folder.
and for some reason Microsoft Essential Security wasn't working on it.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
If it's Windows XP then yes, but I haven't had any issues on Windows Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 and I suspect that it will be the same with Windows 10.
D M C is correct. My colleague makes a living cleaning up PCs. XP was definitely the worst, but we hardly see those anymore. Windows Vista, 7, and 8 all get infected. I bet W10 will too.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Aaaah... OP, did you bother to read that WSJ article? Because after the first three criticizing lines, the 4th one literally says:

"But Windows everywhere may in fact be—gasp!—a really great thing"

And then the author goes on to detail what was problematic with Windows for her in the past and how Microsoft has been fixing all these problems, ending the article with the line " it does appear to be (finally) pointed in the right direction".

That the author doesn't love Microsoft doesn't mean her criticism is unfounded. She is actually praising Microsoft for waking up and reacting, after a decade of mostly failures. I choose, prefer and defend Microsoft regularly, but I can see past my preference and recognize that, other than Xbox and Win7, Microsoft has missed many tech innovations in the past decade. They're only now starting to come back, which Joanna is pointing out.

I'm not defending her, or Microsoft. I'm just saying that her article isn't biased BS, but actually a pretty objective critical point of view - an opinion, of course - and praise for the good direction the company is heading into.

It feels to me more like you are trying to create a journalism bias mountain (which it actually exists, just not in this case) from an article that doesn't reflect what you're condemning.

Just my opinion.

dpaynewp

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Aaaah... OP, did you bother to read that WSJ article? Because after the first three criticizing lines, the 4th one literally says:

"But Windows everywhere may in fact be?gasp!?a really great thing"

And then the author goes on to detail what was problematic with Windows for her in the past and how Microsoft has been fixing all these problems, ending the article with the line " it does appear to be (finally) pointed in the right direction".

That the author doesn't love Microsoft doesn't mean her criticism is unfounded. She is actually praising Microsoft for waking up and reacting, after a decade of mostly failures. I choose, prefer and defend Microsoft regularly, but I can see past my preference and recognize that, other than Xbox and Win7, Microsoft has missed many tech innovations in the past decade. They're only now starting to come back, which Joanna is pointing out.

I'm not defending her, or Microsoft. I'm just saying that her article isn't biased BS, but actually a pretty objective critical point of view - an opinion, of course - and praise for the good direction the company is heading into.

It feels to me more like you are trying to create a journalism bias mountain (which it actually exists, just not in this case) from an article that doesn't reflect what you're condemning.

Just my opinion.

You must have missed my second post where I replied to a similar response...

Oh no, I don't think it was a joke - I got the feeling those were her real sentiments. If I had to guess I would say she hasn't used windows since XP.

And yes the balance of the article was very reasonable coverage - however with a lead in like that it just totally tainted it for me.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/windows..._TechWSJD_productReviews&ref=/news/technology

Flat Tire

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site

"But Windows everywhere may in fact be?gasp!?a really great thing"

Herein lies the problem - these journalists know that most people only read the top of the article - why would you place the negative in a predominantly positive article there?

Non-tech readers: "Another crappy effort from Microsoft"
Apple/Google readers: "Another crappy effort from Microsoft"
Microsoft fans: "Another crappy review for Microsoft. RAWRRR... to the comments"

The bulk of the people don't get the gist of what the article is about.

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If someone is getting viruses while simply browsing the web or downloading files and have just Security Essentials installed, I would suggest reevaluating their browsing habits.

It is one thing to get a virus from someone wanting to share a file from their USB drive, but that is about the only way I have gotten a virus in the last 10+ years myself.

Not saying I am perfect, I just know how to navigate the majority of the web that I care to visit.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Herein lies the problem - these journalists know that most people only read the top of the article - why would you place the negative in a predominantly positive article there?

Ah, I see your point. However, I raise you to: why would any professional lower standards to meet the lazy average Joe? Not that Joanna is any epitome of journalistic brilliance, but criticizing her for her ignorant readers' laziness in reading more than 3 lines seems out of place to me. It's as if I taught my literature classes giving all my students all the answers from the beginning instead of making them read materials, think for themselves, come up with the answers and only then if they are lost, I'd spell it out for them.

Bottom line - I see no point in evaluating something for the laziness of those who consume it. We should evaluate the article as a whole, not as the minimum standard that is so common these days (and that I experience too and have to deal with as an instructor).

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
If someone is getting viruses while simply browsing the web or downloading files and have just Security Essentials installed, I would suggest reevaluating their browsing habits.

It is one thing to get a virus from someone wanting to share a file from their USB drive, but that is about the only way I have gotten a virus in the last 10+ years myself.

Not saying I am perfect, I just know how to navigate the majority of the web that I care to visit.

But what about adventurous users who visit new websites everyday.

Are you suggesting that that stop doing that and limit yourself to few websites.
I know it's risky but that's the way I enjoy.

Anyway, I am using Ubuntu for browsing purpose and I don't think now I have to change my browsing habit.

Never compromise

Kevin Harvell

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
But what about adventurous users who visit new websites everyday.

Are you suggesting that that stop doing that and limit yourself to few websites.
I know it's risky but that's the way I enjoy.

Anyway, I am using Ubuntu for browsing purpose and I don't think now I have to change my browsing habit.

Never compromise

I know what you are saying, and I am sure you know which types of sites I am referring to. Warez, adult content etc.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

And
Is this wrong?

Yes, I am a Windows user. Why do you think I'm on here?

I've had no problems with Windows from either Malware or Viruses and no Windows user has ever stated that Windows has no virus problems, I think you're confusing me with a Mac user!!!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I use my phone for adult website and for everything else my laptop or PC

What websites are you browsing when you use Windows? You can't say that Windows is the least secure OS and then be browsing websites that are loaded with Malware and viruses.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok so here is the lead in to a story by a journalist at the WSJ that just covered the windows 10 event "the idea of Windows running on every device you own may sound terrifying. Pop-up permission requests, virus update reminders and blue screens of death everywhere? Thanks, but no thanks."

So if I could i would like to ask her if she has even used a newer Windows os - I haven't had a Blue Screen in at least 10 years, and that is in using a whole variety of both work and personal computers. Virus update reminders? Automatically updated and scans in the background. Pop up permissions? Not since using vista... If you are going to write in the tech space for a living, how about educating yourself on the subject matter...

She is just joking, calm down, she probably has a windows 7 pc hidden around that she will update to windows 10 ;)

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I am a Windows user. Why do you think I'm on here?

I've had no problems with Windows from either Malware or Viruses and no Windows user has ever stated that Windows has no virus problems, I think you're confusing me with a Mac user!!!

What websites are you browsing when you use Windows? You can't say that Windows is the least secure OS and then be browsing websites that are loaded with Malware and viruses.

But I had face Malware and virus problem and my more user face too. That is why their are so many anti-virus for that. Even MS also provide that. That is why Windows is least secure OS.
Can you name an OS which you think is less secure than Windows.
Is it Mac or Linux?what?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos