Tech journalist's BS after W10 event

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say Windows was more insecure then others, however it is a bigger target...

In recent months the number of attacks on Linux and Macs have increased, and will increase with more users using the platform...

G.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
But I had face Malware and virus problem and my more user face too. That is why their are so many anti-virus for that. Even MS also provide that. That is why Windows is least secure OS.
Can you name an OS which you think is less secure than Windows.
Is it Mac or Linux?what?

Thanks for completely avoiding my question so I'll ask it again, What websites are you browsing when you use Windows?

Windows isn't necessarily less secure, it's just a bigger target considering it's on 90%+ of the computers worldwide. I'll throw this back at you and ask this, If you were writing Malware or viruses which would you target, the <1% that Linux has, the 2-3% MacOS has or the 90%+ the Windows has?

I know which one I would choose!!!!

Oh and this highlights why you need decent AV software and also why you shouldn't rely on MSE: http://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/01/27/security-essentials-fails-antivirus-test.aspx

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for completely avoiding my question so I'll ask it again, What websites are you browsing when you use Windows?

Windows isn't necessarily less secure, it's just a bigger target considering it's on 90%+ of the computers worldwide. I'll throw this back at you and ask this, If you were writing Malware or viruses which would you target, the <1% that Linux has, the 2-3% MacOS has or the 90%+ the Windows has?

I know which one I would choose!!!!

look like you didn't read my comment carefully.
what do you understand by " adventurous users"?

and
yes I know security is cost that comes with popularity.
either way it didn't change the fact that Windows is least secured OS.

and thanks! for update.
I'll change anti-virus soon

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
look like you didn't read my comment carefully.
what do you understand by " adventurous users"?

and
yes I know security is cost that comes with popularity.
either way it didn't change the fact that Windows is least secured OS.

and thanks! for update.
I'll change anti-virus soon

I understand what "adventurous users" means alright, those are the people who go to the sites I've had to block at work using OpenDNS ;-)

What I'm saying is that if Windows had <1% market share then least secure or not then it wouldn't be a target.

Oh and no problem, there are a good few AV suites out there as well, personally I use Norton Security but not everyone likes it so it's worth trying some different ones, not all at the same time, and picking the one that fits for you.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
But I had face Malware and virus problem and my more user face too. That is why their are so many anti-virus for that. Even MS also provide that. That is why Windows is least secure OS.
Is it Mac or Linux?what?

​Apple provides an anti malware program built in to their OS and by default gatekeeper is turned on and will initially stop you from installing from non trusted sources. That isn't to say it into secure, but lets not pretend that the availability of security measures mean it isn't secure.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Is it Mac or Linux?what?

Hm. I'm a 100% Windows user, have never had a virus, don't use anti-virus protections, and I don't limit the sites I visit. Sooo...

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
​Apple provides an anti malware program built in to their OS and by default gatekeeper is turned on and will initially stop you from installing from non trusted sources. That isn't to say it into secure, but lets not pretend that the availability of security measures mean it isn't secure.

But in Windows situation is much worse than Mac.Microsoft inbulit security in OS isn't enough to protect your system.
Anyway my point is that Windows is least secure OS which need a good Anti-Virus protection.

Hm. I'm a 100% Windows user, have never had a virus, don't use anti-virus protections, and I don't limit the sites I visit. Sooo...

Your are probably lucky or may be your system already infected and you don't know.
"don't fool yourself into thinking that you're too clever to get a virus"
Read this. Probably make some sense to you.
Do you need an antivirus program for your Windows PC in 2015? | Windows Central

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
But in Windows situation is much worse than Mac.Microsoft inbulit security in OS isn't enough to protect your system.
Anyway my point is that Windows is least secure OS which need a good Anti-Virus protection.

Gatekeeper is essentially the same thing as Windows Defender, basic protection for the OS. Problem is that, as I stated before, Windows is a bigger target.

It doesn't mean that Windows is "less secure", all it means is that Windows gets targeted by far more Malware and Viruses than others because of the greater market share. If the market share situation were reversed then Gatekeeper wouldn't be enough to protect Mac OS and that in itself wouldn't make Mac OS less secure, it just means it's a bigger target.

Your are probably lucky or may be your system already infected and you don't know.

Exactly, and it's not just Malware and Viruses in downloads that you have to worry about. Drive-by downloads and SQL Injection Attacks are used far more frequently now that we have always on broadband internet connections.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

​You keep saying that, but you have no proof. According to a security expert, OS X is the least secure. He keeps proving it at the pwn2own competition.

Gatekeeper is essentially the same thing as Windows Defender, basic protection for the OS. Problem is that, as I stated before, Windows is a bigger target.

It doesn't mean that Windows is "less secure", all it means is that Windows gets targeted by far more Malware and Viruses than others because of the greater market share. If the market share situation were reversed then Gatekeeper wouldn't be enough to protect Mac OS and that in itself wouldn't make Mac OS less secure, it just means it's a bigger target.

Exactly, and it's not just Malware and Viruses in downloads that you have to worry about. Drive-by downloads and SQL Injection Attacks are used far more frequently now that we have always on broadband internet connections.

​No, Gatekeeper is nothing like defender. Gatekeeper is a program that has three options:
​A) Install from Apple
​B) Install from Apple and trusted sources
C) Install from anywhere

​It is automatically on the second and unless you manually give something permission once it gets flagged as untrusted it won't do anything,

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Ok I think I understand what you guys trying to say.

What I want say is that Windows is least safe Operating System.
Not least secure.
Is it right now?

@Michael Alan Goff - Can you give me a website link of OS hack ? not browsers.

Last edited:

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

Not least secure.
Is it right now?

​Considering Safari is a part of the OS, you can't separate the two.

Richard Culverhouse

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Not least secure.
Is it right now?

You don't understand what they they are trying to say lol

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

Not least secure.
Is it right now?

No, you still aren't getting it are you. Windows isn't "least secure" or the "least safe".

Here's the simplified version:

Largest market share = Bigger target = Attacked by Malware and Viruses

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
No, you still aren't getting it are you. Windows isn't "least secure" or the "least safe".

Here's the simplified version:

Largest market share = Bigger target = Attacked by Malware and Viruses

Then it applies to Android too.
Means it is as safe as WP.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Is it Mac or Linux?what?

Let's face facts here... Nearly EVERYONE runs with FULL admin privileges. You have the choice to create an admin account and run a second, standard account, for day to day use (Max the UAC security). MUCH safer in every single way but do people do this? No. Do people spread this knowledge? No. Windows IS a safe operating system that's run wide open by everyone.

The USER is the issue... not Windows. Heck when MS released Vista with UAC what did the web say? Turn it off. Dumb.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99