Tech journalist's BS after W10 event

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Let's face facts here... Nearly EVERYONE runs with FULL admin privileges. You have the choice to create an admin account and run a second, standard account, for day to day use (Max the UAC security). MUCH safer in every single way but do people do this? No. Do people spread this knowledge? No. Windows IS a safe operating system that's run wide open by everyone.

The USER is the issue... not Windows. Heck when MS released Vista with UAC what did the web say? Turn it off. Dumb.

As I told before, I never play with security that also include UAC.

I was using Microsoft essential security(terrible antivirus).
Windows have very sophisticated virus and it can fool any user.
A good Antivirus is the only solid solution for that.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
As I told before, I never play with security that also include UAC.

I was using Microsoft essential security(terrible antivirus).

Windows have very sophisticated virus and it can fool any user.

A good Antivirus is the only solid solution for that.

As much as Antivirus companies like to promote their software as a "defense", AV is really a tool to clean up a mess after the fact. MS security essentials does this fine, with a non intrusive "this file is clearly a virus" function to catch known bad executables. UAC and privilege separation prevent viruses from doing damage when a User account is used. Windows, as the most used OS, is the most targeted, and no software will make you 100% safe: If you paid money for your "good" antivirus, you might want to consider doing more research before renewing the subscription.

Last edited:

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
As much as Antivirus companies like to promote their software as a "defense", AV is really a tool to clean up a mess after the fact. MS security essentials does this fine, with a non intrusive "this file is clearly a virus" function to catch known bad executables. UAC and privilege separation prevent viruses from doing damage when a User account is used. Windows, as the most used OS, is the most targeted, and no software will make you 100% safe: If you paid money for your "good" antivirus, you might want to consider doing more research before renewing the subscription.

AV-Comparatives - Independent Tests of Anti-Virus Software - Real World Protection Test Overview

Thanks to Windows Central, I know which Anti-virus I need to use.

MaxyBley

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Even Tech Youtubers (MKBHD, Austin, Detroitborg, etc) doesn't seem to care about MS at all. No mention about Windows 10 or even Hololens. They're all focused on their Android and Apple gadgets

Honestly those guys are more of a fan pf Amdroid than anything else. And heck, not even since MKBHD and even Austin don't just use Android and Android alone. They use iOS and Android and Mac and some other Windows. With Austin even recommending people to get Windows 8 for better performance.

Just because they don't show or cover much of Windows/WP products does not mean they don't know about or care about. MKBHD in particular made a "phones awards" and showed the Lumia 1020 as one of the best phone for photography. So he does gives credit where credit is due. WP is just not mature enough for him to use it for that long. Or there aren't that many amazing spec'd windows phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss