The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
04-24-2018 10:48 AM
49 12
tools
    Nope. The phone companion app is simply used to configure your phone (iPhone / Android / iOS) for use with Microsoft ...
    there is a "project my screen app", where you can hook up your phone to a usb and basically control anything from your desktop, including SMS:
    Download Project My Screen App for Windows Phone from Official Microsoft Download Center
    06-24-2015 12:44 PM
    there is a "project my screen app", where you can hook up your phone to a usb and basically control anything from your desktop, including SMS:
    Download Project My Screen App for Windows Phone from Official Microsoft Download Center
    The idea here is to reply to SMS messages without a dock / USB connection. For example, while your phone is in another room charging or even in your pocket. It's just more convenient to reply on a PC or tablet if you're already on the device. The application you mentioned is an ancient idea that was possible during the days of Windows Mobile 6.x.
    06-25-2015 03:02 PM
    I don't deny that responding via cable with your phone through your computer is ancient. I'm simply saying it's possible.

I honestly don't know why WP and windows 8 machines haven't been able to do this, considering I can see text and respond with my cheap car stereo or even my Msft Band, and anything else that is bluetooth enabled. You can even use your windows phone as a mouse to control your desktop. but they simply can't make it work wirelessly???

maybe it's coming soon...
    06-25-2015 05:55 PM
    I don't deny that responding via cable with your phone through your computer is ancient. I'm simply saying it's possible.

I honestly don't know why WP and windows 8 machines haven't been able to do this, considering I can see text and respond with my cheap car stereo or even my Msft Band, and anything else that is bluetooth enabled. You can even use your windows phone as a mouse to control your desktop. but they simply can't make it work wirelessly???

maybe it's coming soon...
    It seems to be in there plans (by looking at concept images of their messaging app), but there's no confirmation in that. But this feature is something that would work in the cloud, not Bluetooth. Android already has 3rd party apps (MightyText) that syncs your SMS messaging to the cloud and allows you to reply to them in a web browser on your PC. This is essentially the functionality we're hoping to get in the new Universal messaging app. So for example you receive a text message on your Windows 10 Mobile device, and you're able to launch the same universal messaging app on your Windows 10 tablet or PC and reply to that text message, all while syncing the entire conversation across devices in near real time.
    06-26-2015 12:29 PM
    So for example you receive a text message on your Windows 10 Mobile device, and you're able to launch the same universal messaging app on your Windows 10 tablet or PC and reply to that text message, all while syncing the entire conversation across devices in near real time.
    I would love to have this functionality for any apps on my phone and PC 😻. Messaging app is a good start, hope MS aware of this not-so-new feature and start working for a native solution on it.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    06-27-2015 03:15 AM
    Well, not anymore.
    You can do that between between OS X, even on the new El Capitan version, and iOS.
    Sorry, I should have clarified that it would be a differentiator for Windows Phone within the universe of people who have a Windows PC (i.e. the appeal would be to all the folks who have a Windows computer but see no benefit to using a Windows phone instead of Android or iPhone). The demonstration of this feature at WWDC last year (IIRC) is what really hammered home the obvious opportunity that Microsoft is ignoring.
    07-07-2015 05:39 PM
    Blackberry has been doing this for years...its unfortunate that windows hasn't done it...its a nice platform As I use my Blackberry a lot..more so than my windows phone for that purpose alone
    08-09-2015 08:45 PM
    Wasn't it supposed to be available around October or later this year? I think MS is aware of the need for universal messaging and video calls. I just hope it works a little better than Skype for Business does now. It works, just a little clunky with the phone.
    08-09-2015 08:51 PM
    I don't know why Microsoft does not just cut the crap with trying to be "Smart and being Online and Synced". Just give us the basic ability first to plug our Mobile into the computer with a cable and use the Keyboard of the Computer to type texts using the carrier connected to the phone. My old Nokia E-52 does exactly just that with the Nokia PC Suite. I especially bought the Nokia Lumia 640 Dual Sim Phone so that I could have my Work Sim and Personal Sim in the one smart phone, but I have found out not that the Phone is not that smart with the lack of this feature with the Computer. I'm going to have to now keep two separate phones an possibly ditch the windows phone, and end up getting a Single Sim phone for my personal use and an alternate device for my Work Sim which integrates better with the work computer.
    09-18-2015 08:25 PM
    I know this is probably a little late but with the Cortana app for android installed I sometimes get notifications on the desktop when I miss a carrier call on my phone so that's promising =D
    11-02-2015 06:11 AM
    For Microsoft Lumia device connected (USB, WiFi or Bluetooth) to Windows 10 desktop, there should be some kind of app or functionality to send and received text / call from PC. Its already possible with Android (or iOS and Mac).
    11-06-2015 03:45 AM
    I'm late to this thread, but all I am trying to do is SMS text from my Surface Pro 4, using my cell phone number, without requiring people to have a particular app. I was online this morning with Skype support and Skype can do that, but at a cost of 11.2 cents per text. Are you kidding me? This isn't 1998.

I would value any advice to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish.
    Steve Kesler likes this.
    12-12-2015 10:25 AM
    SMS requires Skype credit, in other words, money.
    12-12-2015 07:15 PM
    Pretty sure you can respond to incoming texts on another device via Cortana, she will reply via your phone without even touching it. I know that's not syncing messages or anything but it's a start.
    12-13-2015 11:22 AM
    I'm late to this thread, but all I am trying to do is SMS text from my Surface Pro 4, using my cell phone number, without requiring people to have a particular app. I was online this morning with Skype support and Skype can do that, but at a cost of 11.2 cents per text. Are you kidding me? This isn't 1998.

I would value any advice to accomplish what I am trying to accomplish.
    SMS requires Skype credit, in other words, money.
    Sending text via SMS and Cortana does not require Skype credits. You need to have Cortana installed on your phone. Cortana on your Windows 10 PC/tablet will use Cortana on your phone to forward the message using your phone. I've tested and done so using both Windows 10 Mobile & Android.
    Last edited by TheCudder; 12-15-2015 at 12:19 AM.
    12-13-2015 12:36 PM
    Can someone post how you get the messages to show up on the computer so you can reply to them? I've sent messages from my computer, but the reply's only come to my phone. They don't show up on the computer. I also get phone alerts but only after I've missed the call. It doesn't tell me they are calling when they are calling. Is this functionality not working yet? Running windows 10 pro, and windows lumia 640 running windows 10 preview.
    12-14-2015 01:37 PM
    Thanks so much!
    12-14-2015 09:41 PM
    MAC already has this today. Microsoft is catching up though and I look forward to seeing this integrated in Windows 10
    Yes, Mac has had it for years now, not only their iMessage and Facetime, but plain old SMS sync (receive and send) on macs. I hope MS hurries up and incorporates full SMS support into W10. For me, having this feature would mean a guaranteed W10 phone purchase. My desktop is and will remain a windows device, hate mac osx... however I do love my iPhone.. just waiting for MS to further polish W10M before buying one. I have a wifi connected lumia 635 laying around getting all the early updates. I am monitoring the progress of W10M to know when to go and buy one for full time cell phone use.
    12-14-2015 10:42 PM
    There are lots of app that allow you to do this but most charge if linked to your cell number. Alot offer this free to a number set up TextNow is a service that allows you to use SMS to any cell and back to your Textnow created number for free.
    12-15-2015 09:00 AM
    The craziest part of this entire conversation is that we were able to send/receive SMS text messages directly through Outlook 2003 when using a Windows Mobile 5 device in 2005. It sure would be nice to send/receive text messages directly from my Windows PCs again. I realize that I can send text messages using Cortana, but it sure would be nice to have them synced to my PC to read, respond, or review.
    04-02-2016 06:26 PM
    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14316:
    messaging_everywhere.jpg

yay! :)
    04-07-2016 12:58 PM
    Messaging Everywhere is great addition in 14332, it's hit or miss, not stable yet, I hope they'll sort out stability issue in next build.
    05-04-2016 06:25 AM
    Don't be fooled. Skype doesn't have sms functionality. Skype won't let you receive sms. They do this by forcing the sms you send out to have a skype signature thus making a reply impossible by sms. If everyone used skype, it would be fine, but everyone doesn't use skype. The capability has been there for years, look at Imessage. It is all about money, and keeping the phone companies alive. I guess tech companies aren't powerful enough to put the final nail in the coughin.
    07-24-2016 05:21 PM
    Don't be fooled. Skype doesn't have sms functionality. Skype won't let you receive sms. They do this by forcing the sms you send out to have a skype signature thus making a reply impossible by sms. If everyone used skype, it would be fine, but everyone doesn't use skype. The capability has been there for years, look at Imessage. It is all about money, and keeping the phone companies alive. I guess tech companies aren't powerful enough to put the final nail in the coughin.
    Skype by itself doesn't receive SMS.

On the other hand, as expressed in this thread, Skype on your PC, paired via WiFi with a Windows 10 Mobile phone also running Skype, can act as a relay for remotely displaying any SMS that's been received on your phone, and to send new SMS messages via your phone.
    04-24-2018 10:48 AM
49 12